FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

If We Have To Go With The Same Players, What Would Your Team Be?

TheWittonWonder

With Lambert saying today that it's very unlikely that anyone is coming in in this january window the question is if you were manager what kind of team would you pick from the current shower to try and keep us up this season? for me we MUST get back to basics and stick with one system so the players aren't confused, that i'm afraid is something Lambert has totally failed at thus far,

I believe we must endeavour to bring the best out of our forward line, which in this massive mess we find ourselves in have still managed to shine, so i'd go 442..

...............................Guzan......................................

..........Lowton....Vlaar....Dunne....Bennett......

......Carruthers..Westwood..Delph..N'Zogbia........

........................Benteke..Weimann..................

Thats the system and team i would go with, Delph and Westwood dominated against West Brom until Fabian had to go off so there's still hope that those two in the middle of the park can still do us justice, out wide i'd throw in the lad Carruthers, he'd not only give us balance but i truly believe he'd make a difference creatively, he loves to run with the ball and attack the full-back as he showed at Old Trafford and Anfield last season and we need that right now, while the front two speak for themselves, Tekkers has assisted around seven of Weimann's nine goals this season so their partnership is clearly working, i also think Dunne's return is gonna be massive, if he performs we should be MUCH harder to break down.

626560_Aston_Villa.jpg

We have looked like a vastly superior team when we've maintained width through Gabby and N'Zog, Benteke and Weimann complement each other given their different styles of play.

Have been impressed by Delph recently, coming of age as a defensive midfielder for us, not 100% on Bennett but think he's better suited where he's not the last line of defence and has been the provider of a number of the balls that have led to goals for us recently so I'd persevere with him. Haven't been impressed by Lowton to date to be honest and Bannan has been dreadful. Bench would include Bent, Clark, Holman, Lichaj, Given, Bowery, and Ireland provided his attitude continues as per his last game where he looked to really put in for the first time in ages.

C'mon you Villa boys, you've given us glimpses of what you've got now start to put it all together for longer periods!!!

From another similar thread

Westwood at RB? What's wrong with Lowton? I agree with pushing Bennett into the midfield though, he does seem to have something about him, just not defensively! Lowton for Westwood and I'd like to see that against Millwall. Seriously though, no signings? Go and f*ck yourself Lerner.

Imo playing players out of position is counter productive, Bennett is not a central midfeidler, Westwood is no right-back and Gabby isn't suited to being a winger in the 442 system for me, the last thing we need is for players feeling uncomfortable with their positions during this vital period we're heading into.

Understand the concern but I just think Westwood has a bit more about him than Lowton, Bennett I think would actually make a fair DMidfielder with the odd forward surge and, as I said, I think he's shown enough to be persevered with. Gabby and Zog gave us the wider roles in the first half against WBA and we looked the best we have for a while I thought so that's how I'd play them for a longer period.

if we have to make do with the current team then i would go back to 4-4-2, we need to start playing a simple game to grind out results, i think it would be a risk playing the likes of carruthers tbh and having players in unfamiliar roles is just asking for more trouble imo.

guzan picks himself in goal.

back 4 of Lowton, Vlaar, Dunne and Clark - maybe our best options (warnock @ LB if pos)

Gabby and N'Zogbia either side of Ireland and Westwood - AW to sit while Ireland plays off the 2 stikers..

.. which would be Bent and Benteke.

having wiemann, holmann, kea, and a couple of others to come in from the bench or start the odd games to keep things fresh

not a traditional 4-4-2 (maybe more of a 4-3-3 as i look at it now) as u can see but i think that is our strongest 11, maybe not on current form, but we need the keep our stronger players in with a shout of getting the job done.

i dont think we can afford to mess about playing youngsters that just wont make the grade, or players that are not ready for regular first team football, the likes of Herd, Delph, Bennet, Bannan, Albrighton, Bowery, Baker amongst a couple of others are way off the quality we need at this moment in time, im NOT completely righting these guys off (with the exception of Herd) i just think we see too many inconsistent performances to merit keeping with them... at least with the ones i picked i feel that even on a poor day they are capable of turning a game.

PREDICTIONLEAGUE.gif

XBOX Gamertag : VillAlMiGhtY

Archived