FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Brad Friedel (2008-11)

avstu

well heres why from me

one yeshe has made some terrific saves i'll give him that but for me he is too slow off his line his distribution when pelying ball down field is shite he fumbles a lot parries a lot not good on crosses in my opinion he is too old and we need a new keeper

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've noticed him getting alot of stick on these forums and it baffles me.

He has been one of our best players since he signed and is still, at 39, one of the best keepers in the league in my opinion.

He is not perfect, but the stick he gets from some is completely undeserved in my opinion and will be a very hard man to replace in the Summer.

So I have to ask, why?

I'm with you :lolthumb: there are not many keepers in the country i would swap him for at the moment.

Always rated him highly at Blackburn, but always shakey for us.

Here's my why...

-Too slow off his line, time and time against, Arsenals goal at Villa Park

-Dealing with crosses, Blackburn free kick for one)

-Quality of distribution, as mentioned

-Speed of distribution, if there's a chance to break away he will slow the play down, if we have 1 against 3 up top he will kick it up

-Communication, example... Kyle Walker leaving the easiest of balls to roll through at St Andrews yet Friedel was to slow so Walker had to put it out for a throw

The above are just examples at the top of my head, and happen on a game to game basis!

He is too slow off his line...you can't denie that however if he hadn't played as well as he did yesterday we might well have been 4-5 goals down in the end. Despite us being better they looked more dangerous in attack and I remember Rooney rocketing a shot the other end of the stadium and we all looked away only to be greeted with a great save by Friedel.

He has his ups and downs like everyone....a replacement is a must soon though as he can't go on forever.

3188055002_02c9077637holte.jpg

Aston Villa Football Club EST. 1874

The Bells Are Ringing

Same people who called for MON's head.. funny that :whistling:

Anyway name a better goalkeeper around that we could get today and then I might start agreeing with you.

I remember how good Bozzie was for Villa and when he left how long it took us to actually replace him with a decent keeper (Friedel).

Friedels no spring chicken but his defence dont help him out much. People moan about him playing it up field, Im sorry but if it was a choice of playing it to Collins whos pass distribution is p*ss poor or kicking upfield i know which i would prefere all day long!

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

Same people who called for MON's head.. funny that :whistling:

Anyway name a better goalkeeper around that we could get today and then I might start agreeing with you.

I remember how good Bozzie was for Villa and when he left how long it took us to actually replace him with a decent keeper (Friedel).

Friedels no spring chicken but his defence dont help him out much. People moan about him playing it up field, Im sorry but if it was a choice of playing it to Collins whos pass distribution is p*ss poor or kicking upfield i know which i would prefere all day long!

Mon was a t**t anyways, and spent more than any other Villa manager in living memory and many of his purchases were indeed pigs ears.

There are goal keepers out there, and you can bet your bottom dollar that come the summer we will indeed purchase 1 or 2, as for Collins distribution yep your right, but he also has the choice of wingers and full backs he could and should distribute the ball to and quickly, after all, what's the use in haveing mobile fast players if your just going to keep hoofing the ball in hope??

For me, hes been a top keeper for the time we've had him but tbh hes ran his career long enough and the summer will be the time to replace him.

I'm not taking anyones side i'm just merley pointing out i agree with both, can't argue that hes a top top keeper and probably one of the best around in his younger years however I think he's accepeted that the summer will be the time to hang up his boots and tbh finding a keeper to replace him will be difficult however i'm confident in Houlliers ability to find a replacement and i'm also confident in Guzans abilty. Sending him out on loan is obviously a way for Houlier to see how he can perform and whether hes good enough.

When he does retire though i think we should imediatley get him on as a goalkeeping coach and at around the same time, sign someone like Scott Loach. Him learning off of one of the best keepers around at the moment would be fantastic for his career imo and we've also got Parish waiting in the wings and i'm sure he's already learnt alot off of Friedel already.

after all, what's the use in haveing mobile fast players if your just going to keep hoofing the ball in hope??

That i agree with. You say many keepers but fail to name one?

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

Archived