FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

O'Neill keen to become top dog

irish_villain

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill insists he will not be satisfied until he establishes his side as a force to be reckoned with in the Premier League.

O'Neill takes his men to Midlands rivals West Brom on Sunday, live on Sky Sports 1 and HD 1, but he is eager for more than local bragging rights.

Villa have their sights set on the top four in the Premier League this season and O'Neill is focused upon transforming his side into a major competitor in the English top flight.

"I didn't come to Villa with the idea that Villa would command the Midlands area. That is not my thinking," said O'Neill, who arrived at the club in 2006.

Fantastic

"To be top dog in the Midlands might not be that fantastic. It is far removed from the top sides in the rest of the country."

O'Neill, though, is expecting a tough test against newly-promoted West Brom and has backed the Baggies to avoid an immediate return to the Championship.

"If Albion stay clear of injuries I would not see it as a big problem them surviving," he added.

"They are a decent footballing side and have enough good players in their squad to be able to stay in the Premier League."

I see no reason why we can't get at least 5th this season, and have a real good shot at the top 4, we just need luck with injuries and hope the amount of matches doesnt take its toll

bestmember.gif

EuropaLeague.png

Another striker is essential in january if we have genuine top 4 ambitions, expecting Carew & Agbonlahor to stay fit throughout a whole season is wishful thinking.

We can definately make a genuine challenge for top 4 this season though but we must stop conceding sloppy goals, like at Stoke & yeaterday at WBA (Shorey went to sleep for that 1)

avfc.jpg

I think MON is already top dog.

A new striker is the key but after spending £48,000,000 in the summer will Randy part with more cash ?

If so who would we buy ?

image.png

Championeeeeee Championeeeee Olee Oleee Oleeeee

You need people like me so people like you can point your fcuking fingers and say there's the bad guy

I think MON is already top dog.

A new striker is the key but after spending £48,000,000 in the summer will Randy part with more cash ?

If so who would we buy ?

Michael Owen.

I think he will definately leave in January and he would be perfect up front with Carew, as much as I love gabby I think we would be a real force up front with Owen

bestmember.gif

EuropaLeague.png

Michael Owen would be a great singing, despite his critics he scores goals consistently.

Id pay as much as needed to bring him to Villa park. May even get his England career back on track here.

personally i don't think any player is 'injury prone' as such. i think its the way certain clubs deal with injuries and their physios and doctors ability to know when the player should be returning rather than the player being rushed back to only go and pull a muscle because they haven't trained sufficiently or are not fully recovered from their injury in the first place.

people may say we had a lucky season with injuries last year, but it helps when your staff know what they are doing and keep the training ground injuries to a minimum because that is the place players spend most their time, and also the place where most injuries occur.

Thats a good point, alot of clubs dont deal with injuries well and rush their players back, Newcastle have done this with Owen before and he got injured again quickly.

Of course there are some players who will simply be weaker in areas and more prone to injuries, i.e weak knees, ankles etc.

bestmember.gif

EuropaLeague.png

Archived