FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United

EPL (Premier League), Monday 21/09/2020 : Aston Villa v Sheffield United, KO 18:00 hours, SKY.

18/09/2020 : Stu has posted this fixture in the Prediction League, so I return the favour by posting the match thread here !
We see AVFC start the EPL campaign one week behind all the other teams due to the postponement of our opening game at Man City ... no info as to when that game will be played, atm.

Let us see AVFC start with a win on Monday, setting the stage for a successful Season with the minimum league target of a top ten place ... and all the way in the Cups !

Prediction (in Prediction League), made today : Aston Villa 2-1 Sheffield United

AVFC RFC SAFC

Here we go. Im buzzing at the moment but I wonder how long before Villa kill that buzz 🤣

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

Good start, 3 points on the board.  These are exactly the games villa need to be winning.  Hopefully a few more additions to the squad before the window closes.

"the team may be sh*t, but they are our sh*t" boldfinger

Made hard work of it it but a win is a win. Delighted with that start.

The penalty save was outstanding from Martinez and he looked very solid. Great debut. 

Targett still worries me at left back but overall a very good start. 

"This is not possible. What McGrath is doing is just not possible with the amount of preparation that he's had."

There is plenty of work still to do but we have three points on the board. This kind of game we would have drew or even lost last season and we have to look at the positives.

9 hours ago, Dublin Villain said:

Made hard work of it it but a win is a win. Delighted with that start.

The penalty save was outstanding from Martinez and he looked very solid. Great debut. 

Targett still worries me at left back but overall a very good start. 

I am the same with Targett. He has been a bit of a scapegoat on social media all summer, which i felt was a little harsh but he was definitely the weak link in our back four yesterday.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

Good to get 3 points against a very stubborn Sheffield side---and start the season with 3 points--

excellent stuff from Martinez---he looks solid and confident---and will spread confidence--

was well impressed with Cash  he looks tailor made for Villa,---Tyrone and Ezri  looked good and despite Sky commentators carping on about Ezri being injured and being replaced--he took the bit between his teeth buried the winner and saw the game out!!!  Luiz carried on from where he left off---

dont want to talk too soon ---but i,m liking the look of this Villa team---and feel good about the season---just a great pity we cant go and cheer em on,

VTID---

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

30 minutes ago, freddy said:

Good to get 3 points against a very stubborn Sheffield side---and start the season with 3 points--

excellent stuff from Martinez---he looks solid and confident---and will spread confidence--

was well impressed with Cash  he looks tailor made for Villa,---Tyrone and Ezri  looked good and despite Sky commentators carping on about Ezri being injured and being replaced--he took the bit between his teeth buried the winner and saw the game out!!!  Luiz carried on from where he left off---

dont want to talk too soon ---but i,m liking the look of this Villa team---and feel good about the season---just a great pity we cant go and cheer em on,

VTID---

I agree with Cash - looks decent, especially on the crossing front. I am becoming a big fan of Konsa - love how easy he makes things look. Reminds me a little bit of how McGrath used to be. 

Mellberg_Signature.png

22/09/2020 : I am back in to AVF, Finally !

EPL (Premier League), Monday 21/09/2020 : Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United

I had to rely on the SSN Live Commentary and my Twitter feed for this match. The latter showed Martinez's 36th minute penalty save and Konsa's 63rd minute goal, which delivered the victory tonight.
The Blades received an early yellow card for a foul on Grealish and a red card for denial of a goal-scoring opportunity, reducing them to 10 men from the 12th minute onwards.
That early yellow card was welcome, too many opponents think they can beat AVFC by fouling JG and too many have done this with impunity.

AVFC RFC SAFC

^^^ That,s a good point about the yellow card Larry----hope its a sign of things to come-

---must say i was a wee bit surprised though that the previous usual ploy of taking it in turns to foul Captain Jack was,nt put into practice!!

VTID---

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png