FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Lack of experience

Lack of experience

Aston Villa have been very active in the transfer window so far. Six players have come in with a few more potentially on the radar but are we in real danger of going into the season with a lack of experience?

Read article in full

What are your thoughts going into the new season?

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

I don't mind about how young the squad is, like Dorset says if they're good enough, they're old enough. 

I do worry about our depth and how many foreign signings we'll be making though. I know nobody is 'proven' until they're tried and tested but some players have more chance of being a success here than others. I've never even heard of Wesley, Trezeguet (who isn't even called Trezeguet?) and Engels. Yet we're pinning our hopes on Wes being a top striker yet he went 3 months without scoring...in the Belgian league! Can't help but think we could do with someone proven in this league. 

I appreciate that they wanted to lower the age of the squad, and I agree entirely. But people like Cahill and Austin for a year couldn't harm surely? Proven and quality. Ok Austin has been a bit of a sick note but he wasn't so bad last season

mzjj.jpg

The policy right now on buying players with potential and who can develop reminds me ( on a less ambitious scale) of what Lambert tried to do!

just a thought

“Each smallest act of kindness, reverberates across great distances and spans of time --affecting lives unknown to the one who’s generous spirit, was the source of this good echo. Because kindness is passed on and grows each time it’s passed until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage, years later, and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.”

On 7/20/2019 at 2:19 AM, Loyalvillan said:

The policy right now on buying players with potential and who can develop reminds me ( on a less ambitious scale) of what Lambert tried to do!

just a thought

I thought this. "young and hungry" was bandied around back then too

mzjj.jpg

11 hours ago, JustRich said:

I thought this. "young and hungry" was bandied around back then too

I had also noticed similarities to what was done under Lambert...though Lambert was also lumbered with having to do it dirt cheap.

8 hours ago, dorset lion said:

I had also noticed similarities to what was done under Lambert...though Lambert was also lumbered with having to do it dirt cheap.

I worry more about the foreign influx tbh. We could buy Messi and he not settle and be successful. I'd like to see us buy, at the very least, proven Premier league quality. With a sprinkling of scouted talent like Wes, Trezeguet etc

mzjj.jpg