FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

The Holiday / Short Break thread

Patrick

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok i will get the ball rolling with our short break to torremolinos this week .

Got the plane to Malaga 7am tuesday morning then the train into Torromolinos to our self catering apartment for 3 nights, After unpacking we had a little walk along the prom and came back along the road stopping in a Scottish bar for 2 pints of Amber lager at 2 euros a pint, I presume amber is a spanish beer because I am a firm believer of when in rome  do what the romans do and eat their food and drink..I didnt like the amber much so we popped in an Irish bar a few doors away for a pint of Guinness., Went the supermarket then and bought a loaf of bread (1euro) 8 cans of san miquel ( 1euro each) and a bottle of white wine (1.8 euro) , back to the appt for a rest before heading out at 7 , There were loads of Irish bars in the area ,and a few english and scottish but about 50 per cent were shut for the winter . I had a couple of amstel in an irish bar by benalmedena marina then we went the bombay grill for a curry , I had chicken madrass , chips and naan and the mrs had chicken shashlic. , back home for ten i had a can of san miquel and a bottle of wine , Next day i had 6 slices of toast for breakfast and we went to the marina and went  on an hour long boat trip along the coast and back , then we went in a bar and i had the large full english breakfast for lunch , then back to the appt for a few cans and sat on the balcony and it was really hot and sunny, at night went to few irish bars , back at ten for a can and another bottle of wine, Thursday was our last full day and woke up to rain and 6 slices of toast, in fact it pissed down most of the day , we walked into torremolinos looking for a market after 2 hours we were soaking so got a taxi back to the appt for 8 euros. , got changed and went out for a full english for lunch and cans in the appt in the afternoon On the night i had a lovely home made steak pie in doyles the local irish bar and it was the best pie i have ever had , also i had 4 bottles of magners  in there then back to the appt for another bottle of wine and bed, Got the plane back to Birmingham friday lunchtime

fliegetn0.gif

We went to New York for a few days for my birthday/Valentine's Day and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Stayed in Times Square in the Casablanca, which is a really nice, small hotel with great staff.

It was very cold (-8) and snowed a couple of days but we had a ball.

We'd both been to New York a few times before so ventured off the tourist trail this time, which was great. Went to Prospect Park and Bryant Park, hired bikes on Governor's Island and headed to Chelsea Market. We also made a trip to Jones' Beach and that was lovely (if nippy). Hotel offered free wine and cheese evenings so we stayed in keeping warm a couple of evenings.

2426f5x.png

8 hours ago, dorset lion said:

Can't be arsed with foreign travel anymore and still plenty of the UK I want to see. Hoping that a bit later in the year I will be able to spend a weekend in Durham.

Durham is one of my favorite cities - a lovely place and had many great times there in my single days .

glad to hear you had a good time Anne and hopefully your hubby didn't rub in the 0-6 too many times .

Pat - I liked your review and will be off to Ireland for the first time shortly - I will be going to Dublin Galway and Kildare .

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

Just now, Eastie said:

Durham is one of my favorite cities - a lovely place .

Been meaning to visit it since my Nan raved about the place best part of 30 years ago, I doubt I've got another 30 years left so I'd better pull my finger out and start visiting some of the places in the UK I have always wanted to see, York, Bath and Edinburgh are also on the to do list.

Having looked online at images of Durham it looks stunning.

8 minutes ago, dorset lion said:

Been meaning to visit it since my Nan raved about the place best part of 30 years ago, I doubt I've got another 30 years left so I'd better pull my finger out and start visiting some of the places in the UK I have always wanted to see, York, Bath and Edinburgh are also on the to do list.

Having looked online at images of Durham it looks stunning.

Cathedral and castle are stunning over the riverbank as you enter Durham by train - I have a few relatives up there and love the city .

im a fan of cathedrals and did both york minster and bath last year  and may be doing Edinburgh in June.

although I've had over 20 holidays abroad in Europe in many countries I've not yet been to Ireland or Scotland 

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

16 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Cathedral and castle are stunning over the riverbank as you enter Durham by train - I have a few relatives up there and love the city .

im a fan of cathedrals and did both york minster and bath last year  and may be doing Edinburgh in June.

although I've had over 20 holidays abroad in Europe in many countries I've not yet been to Ireland or Scotland 

glasgows better than edinburgh

m2ThHd1o-KvVhMbtbmLiE8Q.jpg

controversial_dimitri.png

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

I've seen a fair bit of the world, just can't be arsed with the hassle of foreign travel anymore. I've never been to Scotland or Ireland either, something I hope to remedy. If you like Cathedrals we have a couple of stunners down here at Salisbury and Winchester. Me and the wife had a weekend in Canterbury a couple of years back, that is well worth a visit.

I do love beaches but living here Its not something I go short of, I would much rather spend a long weekend in a beautiful old town or city.

Archived