FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Villa In The Press

Eastie

Sky Sports: Aston Villa scored two goals for the first time since early December as they survived a late Bournemouth comeback to win 2-1 and book their place in the fifth round of the FA Cup. Two second-half strikes, the first a stunning individual effort from Carles Gil on 51 minutes before Andres Weimann double the lead 20 minutes later, proved too much for the Sky Bet Championship side who dominated possession but had to settle for Callum Wilson's consolation in injury time. Paul Lambert's side had only managed to score on one occasion in the six preceding games but January signing Gil ended the wait in emphatic style, cutting in from the right before finding the top left-hand corner with a curled effort from 25 yards. The hosts doubled their lead when Weimann rounded off a fine counter with a first-time finish which evaded the reach of Lee Camp following Alan Hutton's cross from the right. Eddie Howe changed things as he looked for a route back into the game, and substitute Wilson struck late on to give the visitors hope of forcing a replay. But Villa were resolute in defence and had a chance to seal the win the closing stages but ultimately held on to book their place in Monday evening's draw.

BBC Sport: Carles Gil's stunning goal helped Aston Villa avoid another FA Cup fourth-round giant-killing and see off the challenge of Championship leaders Bournemouth at Villa Park. Cherries boss Eddie Howe reduced their chances of following in the footsteps of Bradford City and Middlesbrough - who won at Chelsea and Manchester City respectively - by making wholesale changes to his side. Villa's abysmal goal record has seen them score only once since drawing with Manchester United at Villa Park on December 20, but the shackles were lifted by a brilliant long-range finish from new signing Gil early in the second half. And with the rising tension around Villa Park eased following a sequence that also included five scoreless Premier League games, Andreas Weimann added the second to secure their place in the fifth round. Bournemouth substitute Callum Wilson offered them a moment of hope when he pulled a goal back in stoppage time but Villa survived without further alarms.

Daily Telegraph: After a weekend of shocks and surprises, Aston Villa produced their own contribution by scoring twice and avoiding defeat against lower-league opposition. This was pinch-yourself territory for Villa's supporters, after an afternoon during which Paul Lambert's team overcame their goal phobia and were boosted by the positive news that Fabian Delph had signed a new contract. The Holte End has a new hero in Carles Gil, the £3.25m signing from Valencia, who underlined his vast potential with a breathtaking goal, Villa's second in more than 11 hours of football. And all those fears that Bourne­mouth would become the latest addition to Lambert's crime sheet in cup competitions - joining Brad­ford, Millwall, Sheffield United and Leyton Orient - were washed away on a rare day of optimism in B6. Perhaps the future under Lambert could be bright, after all. Resolving the uncertainty over Delph is a huge step forward, with the England international signing a new deal worth around £55,000 a week. Delph could have departed on a free transfer in the summer, and had told Villa he was keeping his options open last year, but his decision to sign a four-and-a-half year deal has come at the perfect time for Lambert.

Daily Express: It was a day of surprises at Villa Park, yet not in the way some had predicted. The visit of Bournemouth, the Championship leaders and highest scorers in all four divisions, to a confidence-shy Aston Villa side struggling for goals had been earmarked on this weekend of FA Cup shocks as another Cup tie with upset potential. It was not to be. And there in lay surprise number one: Two Villa goals - only the third time this season they have managed such a feat - as Carles Gil, making his full debut, and Andreas Weimann's second-half strikes booked their place in round five. Even more of a bombshell came before kick-off, however, when England midfielder Fabian Delph - a free agent in the summer and expected to leave amid interest from Liverpool and Tottenham - announced on the big screen that he had signed a new four-and-a-half year deal. Delph has agreed a new £55,000-a-week contract, with Lambert revealing he first became aware of positive indications from the player "two or three weeks ago". All in all, a perfect day for Paul Lambert.

Gil

Gil

Weimann

Daily Mirror: A Carles Gil screamer ended Aston Villa's barren spell in front of goal and helped them progress to round five against Bournemouth. The Spaniard's second-half strike, and a goal from Andreas Weimann, helped Villa ease past the Cherries, who grabbed a late consolation through Callum Wilson, and score twice in a game for the first time since December 7. And there was more good news for Villa fans. Before the game, there was plenty of social media "buzz" as Aston Villa promised an exciting announcement would be made 10 minutes ahead of kick-off. Fabian Delph, who has been widely linked with a move to Liverpool among others in this window, it was revealed had put pen to paper on a new four-and-a-half-year deal.

Daily Star: Carles Gil finally got Villa firing as they put Eddie Howe's Championship high-fliers to the sword. The Spanish star celebrated his full debut with a goal to put a smile back on the faces of anguished Villa fans. The £3.25m signing from Valencia flatted The Cherries with a stunner of a goal just two minutes into the second half. And this win, combined with the news that England midfielder Fabian Delph has signed a new long-term deal is almost a reason for mass hysteria. Much had been made of Villa's pathetic record in front of goal - and quite rightly too. Prior to this they had only managed one goal in just over 11 hours. The joke was that Bournemouth's 8-0 win at St Andrews meant they had scored more goals in Birmingham this season than Villa (7). The Cup draw had pitched the side with the worst goal tally in the league (11) against a team from the division below who have been the most prolific in the country with 57. If any tie was ripe for a shock then this was surely it, but Villa weren't in the mood for jokes at their expense and rose to the challenge.

Four Four Two: Aston Villa reached the FA Cup fifth round thanks to goals from Carles Gil and Andreas Weimann in a 2-1 home win against Bournemouth. Carles Gil marked his first Aston Villa start with a wonderful goal in a 2-1 victory over Bournemouth in the FA Cup fourth round on Sunday. Paul Lambert's men have found goals hard to come by of late - scoring just once in their previous six outings in all competitions prior to the tie - but Gil's stunning 51st-minute strike, along with an Andreas Weimann effort 20 minutes later, will give the club's fans cause for optimism.

Guardian: There was a showbiz feel to Fabian Delph announcing his commitment to Aston Villa directly over the big screen that, no doubt timed to spread a feelgood factor around the ground, was distinctly out of keeping with the majority of the season to date in this corner of the West Midlands. However, after Aston Villa had caused yet another shock in this weekend of FA Cup shocks - they scored; they won - Paul Lambert predicted that the England midfield player can become the driving force for the club over the coming years. The Villa manager also anticipates that Delph, 25, is a future captain of the club, although Lambert may hope that time will not come too soon as he wants Ron Vlaar, the current captain when fit and whose contract also expires at the end of the season, to follow suit and commit to a new deal. It is thought Delph, Villa's reigning player of the year who signed from Leeds United for £8m in 2009, becomes the club's highest earner on £55,000 a week in a deal that takes him to June 2019. "I'm delighted he's staying," Lambert said. "I think it's right for Aston Villa he's staying. He is an England international with his whole career in front of him."

Delph

Delph

Delph

BBC Sport: Aston Villa midfielder Fabian Delph has signed a new four-and-a-half-year deal with the club. The 25-year-old England international was out of contract in the summer but will now stay at the Premier League side until at least 2019. "I am a loyal person and committing my future will hopefully show everybody what type of guy I am," he said. Delph, who joined Villa from Leeds in 2009, had been linked with moves to Liverpool, Everton and Tottenham. He has made 12 league appearances for Villa this season and also made his England debut in the 1-0 friendly win against Norway in August. "There was no way I was going to bail out. I am here for the long run," added Delph.

Sky Sports: Fabian Delph has ended speculation about his future and signed a new four-and-a-half year contract with Aston Villa. The midfielder, who made his England debut in September last year, had been linked with Liverpool and Tottenham with the suggestion Villa may look to sell in January rather than lose Delph for nothing when his previous contract was due to expire at the end of this season. However the 25-year-old has signed a contract that will keep him at Villa Park until the summer of 2019, much to the delight of Paul Lambert who feared he would lose the midfielder. "When you get someone like Fabian - who might have had the possibility of going elsewhere to pastures new - to have him commit is a massive, massive coup for us," said Lambert. "No-one expected it. I think everyone thought Fabian was going to go and we would have to get someone else in."I don't think anyone saw this coming."

Daily Telegraph: Aston Villa star Fabian Delph has committed his future to the club after signing a new four-and-a-half-year deal. The England midfielder was out of contract at the end of the season and had been linked with a move to Liverpool. But Delph has ended speculation on his future after Villa announced the deal ahead of Sunday's FA Cup fourth round clash with Bournemouth. "The club has given me a great platform to perform and a great opportunity to showcase what I can do," he said. "The fans have been great with me, the chairman has been absolutely fantastic with me and I have a great relationship with the manager and I see the boys here as my brothers, my family and I am delighted to stay here."

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sutton Coldfield Observer: Aston Villa's Fabian Delph says Carles Gil's spectacular goal in last weekend's win over Bournemouth came as no surprise to those who have seen him in training. Gil marked his first Villa start with a glorious goal to help Villa into the FA Cup fifth round at the expense of the Championship side. The Spaniard joined from Valencia earlier this month, and has already made a huge impression on his team-mates, Delph says. "His goal against Bournemouth was brilliant. But he's been doing that all week in training. It was no surprise when he did it at the weekend," explains the England midfielder.

Birmingham Mail Online: Fabian Delph says Carles Gil is a real talent and has nicknamed him 'twinkletoes.' Delph watched Gil make a big impact at Villa Park against Bournemouth by scoring an exquisite goal that put Villa in the lead in their 2-1 win over Bournemouth in the FA Cup fourth round. Delph is excited at his arrival, saying: "We've got Carlos and Carles so I have given him the nickname Gilly - it's a lot easier. "He looks a great player - a real talent and he's only young. I call him twinkletoes."

Sutton Coldfield Observer: Jores Okore believes that Aston Villa team-mate, Alan Hutton, has not received the credit he deserves for his performances in claret and blue this season. Hutton played his part in setting up Andreas Weimann's goal against Bournemouth at the weekend and, after seemingly no longer having a future at the club, has nailed down the right-back spot since being recalled by Paul Lambert at the start of this season. Okore believes that his defensive colleague has been 'superb' so far this campaign. "He is always top-class in my eyes but in some of his performances, he's really exploded in terms of his levels," Okore explains. "He's just a great player. He's good on the ball, he does the dirty work, he defends strongly and he's unbelievable going forward."

ITV Sport: Having signed a new long-term deal with Aston Villa, midfielder Fabian Delph is aiming to take them to the Champions League. Delph penned a contract until 2019 and hopes the Midlands outfit can have a resurgence in the next few years. "We all set targets individually and as a team, I don't see why playing in the Champions League for Villa isn't possible by the end of my contract. I will be 30 then, so will probably be sitting in midfield though!"

Clubcall: Aston Villa goalkeeper Jed Steer has confirmed he wants to stay out on loan at Yeovil Town for the remainder of the season. The 22-year-old has impressed for the League One side so far, making 15 appearances for them since being allowed out temporarily by Villa boss Paul Lambert to get some first-team experience. Steer has very little chance of usurping the experienced Shay Given as back-up to Brad Guzan at Villa Park so he has admitted he wants to stay with the Glovers until the summer. His agreement with Yeovil expires at the end of the month but he is hopeful an extension can be sorted out by all parties.

Sporting Life: Australia defender Chris Herd has signed for Wigan from Aston Villa on loan until the end of the season. The 25-year-old joins the Latics after making 42 appearances for Villa, while picking up Football League experience with loans at Port Vale, Wycombe Wanderers and, most recently, Bolton Wanderers. Wigan manager Malky Mackay said: "I'm delighted that Chris has been able to join us on loan until the end of the season, he's a player I've looked at a lot over a period of time. "I feel that his energy, his athleticism and his tenacity will be things that can really help us out."

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

Guest Morpheus

Like a lot of our younger players not really good enough to make the grade in the Premier League so a good move for Herd and hopefully he will be nowhere near our first team again.

Thanks for the updates Eastie.

Daily Express: England midfielder Fabian Delph's surprise decision to sign a new deal at Aston Villa is a statement of intent from the club according to team-mate Andreas Weimann. Former Leeds player Delph, whose previous contract expired this summer, had been expected to leave Villa Park, with Liverpool and Tottenham interested. But ahead of Sunday's FA Cup win over Bournemouth the club announced on the stadium's big screen that Delph had agreed a four-and-a-half year deal.

Birmingham Mail: Andreas Weimann wants to fire Villa to Wembley after finally getting back on the goal trail. The Austrian bagged just his second goal in five months to help set up an FA Cup fifth round tie with Leicester at Villa Park and is now targeting further strikes. Weimann's clinical finish in the 2-1 win over Bournemouth was his fourth goal of the season and, in total, he's contributed to half of Villa's goals this term.

Daily Star: Fabian Delph's shock decision to sign a new deal at Aston Villa is a statement of intent by the club, insists Andreas Weimann. England midfielder Delph, 25, had been expected to go, with Liverpool and Tottenham among those keen to sign him. But he stunned fans before Sunday's FA Cup win over Bournemouth by announcing on the big screen that he had penned a four-and-a-half year deal. Villa now hope skipper Ron Vlaar will follow his example.

The Sun: Aston Villa chiefs believe it will take five years to challenge for a place in Europe again. Chief executive Tom Fox helped persuade England midfielder Fabian Delph to sign a new four-and-a-half year deal at the weekend. Fox believe it is a sign of better things to come.

BBC Sport: Aston Villa chief executive Tom Fox says manager Paul Lambert has the full support of the club and remains important to owner Randy Lerner. Villa have taken only 12 points from their last 18 Premier League games, but Fox told BBC Sport sacking Lambert mid-season would be like "flipping a coin". "When things aren't going well, fans bay for that type of blood," Fox said. "That's not the way that I or the owner are going to make a decision. It's a false narrative." Villa have scored only 97 goals in 98 games during former Norwich City manager Lambert's time in charge. But Fox defended the statistics and believes Villa's players are close to delivering on their hard work on the training pitch.

ESPN: Chief executive Tom Fox believes Aston Villa can close the gap on the Premier League's leading clubs, but has warned their rise will take time. Villa issued a statement of intent over the weekend after tying England midfielder Fabian Delph to a new four-and-a-half year deal. They have battled relegation for the past three seasons and American owner Randy Lerner, who has scaled back his investment, put the club on the market last year. Fox, a former chief commercial officer at Arsenal, is keen to build Villa's off-field profile to boost their revenue but acknowledged the club must be patient and not rely solely on Lerner's investment.

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

Daily Mail Online: Scott Sinclair's on-off move from Manchester City to Aston Villa is back on as the parties look to reach a compromise ahead of the weekend. Villa manager Paul Lambert said last week any deal for Sinclair was dead but it has now been revived, with a loan the most likely outcome. Sinclair has made just three starts since signing for City from Swansea in 2012 and 19 appearances in total.

Manchester Evening News: Aston Villa are back in the running to sign Manchester City winger Scott Sinclair. The club have resumed talks with City over a possible move for the Etihad misfit. Villa manager Paul Lambert said last week any deal for Sinclair was dead but it has now been revived, with a loan the most likely outcome. Sinclair has made just three starts since signing for City from Swansea in 2012 and 19 appearances in total. He has played only four games this season - a total of 25 minutes - and has not featured for Manuel Pellegrini this year.

Birmingham Mail Online: Aston Villa's pursuit of Scott Sinclair is back on. A permanent deal for the Manchester City winger appeared to be dead but the claret and blues are thought to have made a breakthrough today. Villa were initially struggling to meet City's valuation of the player but the Premier League champions are thought to have lowered their estimation of the wideman which has allowed Villa to pounce. There is still some way to go before the switch can be wrapped up but if all goes to plan a deal should be completed before the weekend.

Telegraph Online: Paul Lambert has revived his bid to sign Manchester City winger Scott Sinclair. Lambert, the Villa manager, is stepping up his pursuit of Sinclair and wants to agree a deal with City before the transfer window closes on Monday night, with the club desperate to avoid being sucked further into a relegation battle. Sinclair has been a priority target for Lambert this month - Villa have been chronically short of goals this season - and talks between the two clubs are understood to have resumed in the past 48 hours. City would prefer to let Sinclair leave permanently and their asking price of around £3.5m has proven problematic for Villa. But Villa are not ruling out the prospect of signing the former Swansea star on loan until the end of the season, with a view to a permanent deal in the summer.

Daily Mirror Online: Randy Lerner is not 'motivated to sell' Aston Villa right now, says his right-hand man. The American billionaire put Villa on the market last summer, but no buyer has materialised despite ongoing speculation. Lerner has even opened his chequebook to bring in Valencia midfielder Carles Gil for £3.2m this month - but Lambert has admitted he is again working with limited funds. The Midlands club have pulled off one major coup this month, however, by persuading England ace Fabian Delph to pen a new four-and-a-half year deal.

Setanta Sports: Paul Lambert is the right man to guide Aston Villa out of their current difficulties, according to club chief executive Tom Fox. Villa are without a win in seven league games and their poor run of form has seen them drop to 15th in the table, just three points above the drop zone. Worryingly for Lambert, his side have only managed to score one goal in their last seven games and fans are growing frustrated by their dismal run. Fox insists the club are fully behind the manager and have no plans to replace him.

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

Daily Mail Online: Aston Villa are confident a deal can be done to bring in Scott Sinclair from Manchester City. Paul Lambert admitted last week the transfer looked 'dead' but talks have since been revived and a conclusion is edging closer. A loan switch until the end of the season with a view to a permanent move in the summer seems the likeliest outcome at this stage.

Sutton Coldfield Observer: Manchester City winger Scott Sinclair is now thought to be on the verge of completing his move to Aston Villa. After a permanent deal fell through earlier in the transfer window, the two clubs have reportedly agreed a loan deal which would see Sinclair move to Villa Park for the rest of this season. Sinclair's once promising career has been halted by a lack of match action at City, but Paul Lambert will be hoping that the former Swansea man can provide the spark Villa so desperately need as an attacking unit.

ClubCall: Aston Villa have reportedly joined Premier League rivals Hull City in the battle to sign Besiktas striker Demba Ba. The 29-year-old, who joined the Turkish side from Chelsea last summer, has scored 14 goals in 20 appearances for them so far this season. And with Villa's inability to find the net proving a massive problem this season, boss Paul Lambert is eyeing the signature of Ba who is also proven in the Premier League. However Hull boss Steve Bruce still wants reinforcements before the deadline on Monday evening despite being been boosted by the news both Nikica Jelavic and Abel Hernandez are closing in on a return to action.

Daily Mail: Hull and Aston Villa have enquired about Demba Ba but the Besiktas striker's £80,000-a-week wages are a major obstacle to any deal. West Brom have also considered Ba. Hull, who hope to have Nikica Jelavic and Abel Hernandez back from injury ahead of schedule for this weekend, are also considering a loan for Manchester United striker Nick Powell. Wigan, Derby and Bolton are interested in Powell too despite the player having his season loan at Leicester cut short amid questions over his attitude. Former West Ham, Newcastle and Chelsea striker Ba has scored 14 goals in 20 appearances for Besiktas this season. Ba's stint at Stamford Bridge was limited and he mainly played a role from the substitutes' bench, but Hull and Aston Villa look prepared to show more faith in the forward.

talkSPORT: Aston Villa midfielder Fabian Delph feels like an adopted Brummie after signing a new four-and-a-half-year deal at the club. The former Leeds man penned the lengthy extension this week that will keep him in the Midlands until 2019. Delph, who moved to Villa in 2009, is now a central figure in Paul Lambert's side and broke into the England set-up in September and he credits some of his form down to his settled home-life. "I am very proud of being from Yorkshire," Delph said. "It's very important to me as a person. "I am Bradford born-and-bred and will always feel passionately about that. But there's no question I am an adopted Brummie. I said to my wife a few nights ago, in fact: "Our daughter will be a Brummie you know!" "I love the area, particularly since I moved here properly a few years ago. Heading to Birmingham from Yorkshire was a big thing for me. I didn't settle initially. "But now it feels like home, I feel comfortable and I think that shows on the pitch. You can see that I am a lot happier."

Birmingham Mail Online: Paul Lambert reckons Fabian Delph can be a future Aston Villa captain. The star midfielder signed a new four-and-a-half year deal at the weekend and is expected to be a big part of the claret and blues future. His commanding qualities are already evident on the pitch as he leads by example and inspires others around him on match-days. Lambert reckons one day he will go a step further by wearing the skipper's armband and is confident he will do a fine job. "He's a captain in the making," said the Villa boss.

Daily Mail Online: Aston Villa have joined Newcastle by showing interest in MK Dons midfielder Dele Alli. Newcastle are willing to pay £4m rising to £5m and allow the 18-year-old to return to Dons on loan for the rest of the season. Villa have discussed a similar deal with slightly more up front for the England Under 19 international who has scored 12 goals this season. Manager Karl Robinson re-iterated: 'We know there has been communications with clubs. We hope we can do right by Dele and the club as well. I can't see him not wearing our shirt for the rest of the season. Part of the deal would be him staying with us for the rest of the season and joining whoever it is in the summer. 'There's no deal completely confirmed yet.' Alli, who has also been watched by Liverpool and Bayern Munich, made his MK debut as a 16-year-old in November 2012, and has gone on to play 75 games, scoring 20 goals, and signed a contract until 2017 in September.

Telegraph Online: Aston Villa have made a late move to hijack Newcastle United's £5million bid for MK Dons midfielder Dele Alli. Villa are poised to complete the signing of Scott Sinclair on Friday and are also battling Newcastle to sign Alli, the England under-19 international. The highly rated midfielder, 18, has appeared set to join Newcastle in a deal that will see him return to MK Dons on loan for the rest of this season. But Villa have registered a firm interest in the past 24 hours and, at this stage, are refusing to admit defeat in the race to sign one of English football's most promising youngsters.

Sky Sports: Arsenal could be without Alexis Sanchez for their Super Sunday game against Aston Villa this weekend. The club's top scorer has a hamstring problem and will be put through a fitness test on Saturday before Arsene Wenger finalises his matchday squad. Sanchez has featured in all but one of Arsenal's Premier League games this season, and before this month's win at Manchester City statistics revealed he had either scored or assisted more than half his side's goals.If the Chile international is missing on Sunday it will be the first time since September Arsenal have played a full 90 minutes in the league without him. This week's new arrival Gabriel has a chance of being involved on Sunday, according to Wenger, who does not expect to have any of his injured players back.

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

Daily Star: Manchester City's Scott Sinclair is set to join Aston Villa on loan after completing a medical.

Birmingham Mail Online: Brad Guzan has expressed his delight at Fabian Delph signing a new deal at the club - now he just wants the midfielder to stop moaning! The new Delph deal has delighted the dressing room and Guzan says it has been a big boost for the club. He said: "It was massive for the club that Fabian signed his new deal."I have said this - and I have told him numerous times - that he's a big player for Aston Villa. "First he's a big personality in the dressing room and second he's an outstanding footballer who is still very young in his career. He's still learning and developing. "The sky is the limit for him. If he continues to develop the way he has over the last few years it will be something special to watch. "I must admit though that Fabian is a huge moaner. He moans about everything. Ask anyone! "Sometimes he's right. Other times you're thinking: 'Okay Fabian, you're moaning just to moan here.' "On the other side - in terms of his big personality - he's a real practical joker. He loves to have a laugh and keeps everything light-hearted, which is very important in a dressing room. You need those characters about the place. "But he's also immensely professional and he knows what it takes to perform at the very highest level."

Daily Mirror: Paul Lambert has made a dramatic late attempt to snatch 18-year-old Dele Alli from Newcastle's clutches. The Magpies have agreed a £5million deal with MK Dons for the goalscoring midfielder which will see him loaned back to the League One club for the rest of the season. But Aston Villa boss Lambert has emerged to hijack the move - with the Midlands club bidding to persuade Alli to hold fire and sign for them instead. Liverpool were also keen on Alli but Newcastle made the first move.

Birmingham Mail: Villa's man-of-the-moment Jores Okore is relishing the chance to test himself against the Premier League's elite. The in-form defender will line up against Arsenal on Sunday and has already earmarked the next home clash against Chelsea as a standout fixture. Okore nearly joined the current Premier League leaders two years ago after impressing for former side FC Nordsjaelland. Now, as one of the top-flight's best performing centre halves, the 22-year-old wants to continue his fine form against the country's big boys and steer Villa away from relegation trouble.

Birmingham Mail: Villa have until Monday to decide whether they want to sign Tom Cleverley on a permanent basis. The club have an option to buy the on-loan Manchester United midfielder before the end of the transfer window if they decide that a long-term move would be beneficial. Cleverley will remain at Villa Park until the end of the season regardless, but if Villa fail to act in the next four days, they face the risk of losing him to a rival in the summer.

Daily Mail: Aston Villa are trying to beat Newcastle to the signing of MK Dons midfielder Dele Alli. Newcastle are ready to pay £4million rising to £5m and allow the 18-year-old to return to Dons on loan for the rest of the season. Alli and his family prefer the Villa move as Birmingham is closer to home but they will weigh up both offers. Liverpool had also shown an interest.

Birmingham Mail Online: Aston Villa left-back Antonio Luna could swap loan clubs from Hellas Verona to another Italian side Spezia Calcio, reports Gianluca Di Marzio. The 23-year-old joined Verona in the summer on a season-long loan but after not figuring at all he is set to drop a division to play for Spezia Calcio. Luna joined Villa from Sevilla for £1.5m in June 2013.

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

Daily Star: Aston Villa last night failed in a late £5m bid to snatch Rickie Lambert from Liverpool. But although former Southampton star Lambert is anxious for more first team football, he opted to stay with the club he's supported since he was a boy. The Scouser, who rocketed from non-league football to the England team resisted Villa's late smash and grab move.

Birmingham Mail: Aston Villa failed with a late move for striker Rickie Lambert as they allowed 20-year-old Callum Robinson to re-join Preston North End on loan for the rest of the season. The Liverpool forward was targeted in a last-ditch attempt to bolster the claret and blues' goal-shy attack but a £5m bid was unsuccessful. Villa's only option was to sign him on a permanent deal as their domestic loan quota had already been used up with the arrivals of Scott Sinclair and Tom Cleverley.

Birmingham Mail: Fabian Delph insists Villa will not be rocked by the 5-0 battering of Arsenal as he focuses on 'putting things right'. Villa's stand-in skipper admits that too many mistakes ended up costing them dearly as the rampant Gunners took full advantage of their woes. "We made errors and they capitalised on them," he said. "The goals we conceded were sloppy errors by us and we caused our own mistakes. It wasn't a happy dressing room after the game. "We will try to put it right in the next match."

Daily Express: Rickie Lambert has vowed to fight for his place at Liverpool after rejecting a £5million switch to Aston Villa. The England striker spent last night mulling over a move to the Midlands after being targeted by Paul Lambert to bolster Villa's squad but he has chosen to remain at Anfield.

HereistheCity: Fabian Delph has vowed to give the Aston Villa fans something to celebrate over the coming weeks. Speaking to Aston Villa's official website, midfielder Delph has paid tribute to the club's fans following Sunday lunchtime's 5-0 thumping at Arsenal. The stand-in skipper at the weekend, Delph heaped praise on the claret and blue support at the Emirates Stadium amid the disappointing trip, and has vowed to put things right ahead of the next Saturday's meeting with Chelsea. "The fans have been great, I could hear them at Arsenal and they were great," he said. "Even after the game and such a big scoreline they were still applauding so fair play to them. "We'll try and put in a good performance and try and get some points in the next game. I know the lads have got the character and it won't dampen our spirits."

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

Would the press just be easier of having the headlines "Aston Villa Failed" they then wouldn't have to write anything else as it sums up everything perfectly....

Birmingham Mail: Scott Sinclair has revealed his pain at watching his career rapidly deteriorate over the past two-and-a-half-years. The Villa loan signing was one of England's finest wingers before a move to Manchester City halted his progress. Although he doesn't regret joining the Premier League champions, he admits he would never give up regular first-team football again in return for a big move. He said: "It's hard to give someone advice about what you've been through, but now if I had the chance, if I was playing week in week out and was happy, then I would probably think twice about going back to a top-four club."

ClubCall: Aston Villa could revive a deal for Liverpool's Rickie Lambert in the summer as the striker, by then, may be surplus to requirements. Villa made a late move for the England international on transfer deadline day - with a bid of £5million put on the table. Initial talks between the two clubs and the player took place and Liverpool were open to the former Southampton man leaving at that price - after only paying £4.5million for him last summer. However, the 32-year-old eventually decided to stay with his hometown club and has since said he plans to fight for more regular first-team football in the second half of the season.

Sutton Coldfield Observer: Everton will bid to sign Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley once his loan spell at Aston Villacomes to an end this summer, according to the Liverpool Echo. Cleverley is currently midway through a season-long loan at Villa Park, but any hopes the club have of signing him permanently at the end of this campaign could well be scuppered by Everton's interest. Blues boss Roberto Martinez is keen on the midfielder- who had a loan spell under him during his time at Wigan - but couldn't sign him in the January window as he has already played for two Premier League clubs this season, thus making him ineligible to turn out for a third. Cleverley has been a regular in midfield for Villa since signing during the last transfer window. Manager Paul Lambert is thought to be keen on signing him when his loan expires.

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

• avstu unpinned this topic

Archived