Jump to content
FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Villa In The Press


Eastie

Recommended Posts

Sutton Coldfield Observer: Aston Villa's Alan Hutton believes that Championship high-flyers Bournemouth will provide stiff opposition in the FA Cup fourth round this weekend, but thinks that goal-shy Villa should go into the game with confidence. The pressure is on Paul Lambert and his side at the moment but, with league form an issue, the Cup gives them the chance to kick-start their season. Bournemouth are going well in the second tier and, in contrast to Villa, have been freescoring this season. Hutton says: "We know Bournemouth will be a tough game and we won't take it lightly for sure. We've been watching what they are all about on the videos this week."

Tamworth Herald: According to reports Aston Villa scouts flew to France last week to watch Bordeaux front man Thomas Toure. The 21-year-old, who penned a new four-year deal just last month, played the full 90 minutes in Bordeaux's 2-1 home defeat to Nice. Toure operated on the left of a three-pronged attack. And according to French football website Football365.fr, scouts from Villa and Borussia Dortmund specifically travelled to Stade Chaban-Delmas to watch the young forward in action. Villa's lack of goals is no secret and Lambert has stated he is on the lookout for attacking players to help his side steer away from the relegation places. And Toure, who has notched three goals and four assists in 22 appearances so far this term, has been identified as a player within manager Paul Lambert's tight transfer budget. Speaking last week, Lambert said: "Even if you go for a top, top striker in football now you are talking, £10m to £15m-plus."

Express and Star: Aston Villa have been fined £60,000 for failing to control their players after a melee during their Premier League match at Leicester. Leicester's Matthew James and Villa's Ciaran Clark angrily clashed and were dismissed before the finish of the match on January 10. Both clubs admitted a Football Association charge of "failing to ensure their players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and-or refrained from provocative behaviour." The pair clashed again at the mouth of the tunnel, as they went off the pitch, and had to be separated by stewards and coaching staff.

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking last week, Lambert said: "Even if you go for a top, top striker in football now you are talking, £10m to £15m-plus."

So if Lambert reckons Benteke's left boot is worth £25 mil what does that make him (and he's not even scoring) lol

image.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking last week, Lambert said: "Even if you go for a top, top striker in football now you are talking, £10m to £15m-plus."

So if Lambert reckons Benteke's left boot is worth £25 mil what does that make him (and he's not even scoring) lol

Yeah but we are talking Lambert here, he's so out of touch with the real world it's stupid. In his fantasy EPL then yes they probably are worth that and we play excellent all the time and are top of the EPL....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Birmingham Mail: Paul Lambert is likely to hand Carles Gil his first start in this tough test against Bournemouth. The new Spanish signing came off the bench for 30 minutes against Liverpool and enjoyed a largely impressive debut. His fancy footwork and attacking intent gave Villa an option they have lacked in recent times and Paul Lambert is keen to give him more game-time to impress.

Birmingham Mail: The magic of the FA Cup can reinvigorate everybody at Villa, says chief executive Tom Fox. Randy Lerner's trusted lieutenant speaks passionately about the famous competition and is desperate for Villa to mount a serious challenge this year. High-flying Championship side Bournemouth stand in the way of progression through to the fifth round and Fox knows Villa are in for a tough test. But having seen the benefits a Cup run can bring when his former club Arsenal lifted the trophy last season, the CEO is hoping for similar joy during his time at Villa. "Having a good Cup run or going on to win the competition can bring great benefits and really boost the team," he said. "I saw that at Arsenal last season when they won it. "I think Sunday's game is going to be a great tie. "There are certainly no easy games."

HereistheCity: Aston Villa midfielder Carlos Sanchez has told the club's official website of his dream to walk out at Wembley Stadium ahead of Saturday's FA Cup fourth-round meeting with Bournemouth. Sanchez, 28, signed for Villa from Spanish club Elche in August for £4.7 million and, after a somewhat slow start to life in the Premier League, has grown into one of the side's most impressive performers in recent months. The Colombia international grew up watching English football, and knew all about the competition's importance before arriving in the West Midlands in the summer. "I heard all about the FA Cup before I came to England," he said. "I know how important it is to people. It is an iconic competition. "Playing at Wembley is a dream for me. Not everybody plays at Wembley."

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

BREAKING NEWS

In the papers today there are reports of a woman called Annette claiming to have been sexually abused by several Aston Villa players in a hotel room in Birmingham City Centre last week

West Midlands Police dismissed the claim as no Villa players have been near a net for months

fliegetn0.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

BREAKING NEWS

In the papers today there are reports of a woman called Annette claiming to have been sexually abused by several Aston Villa players in a hotel room in Birmingham City Centre last week

West Midlands Police dismissed the claim as no Villa players have been near a net for months

That is class :)

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Birmingham Mail: Paul Lambert insists he is content to proceed with his current squad if he is unable to make any more January reinforcements. Aston Villa have snapped up playmaker Carles Gil from Valencia, but appear to have been priced out of a move for Manchester City winger Scott Sinclair. Lambert admits he may struggle to bring in further recruits before the transfer window closes a week on Monday. But the Villa boss has faith in the strength of his playing staff, even if he is unable to strengthen the group with new faces.

Daily Express: Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert has vowed to do everything in his power to avoid Bournemouth becoming the latest side to inflict a cup upset on his team. A quartet of lower-league opponents - Bradford, Millwall, Leyton Orient and Sheffield United - have stunned Villa in cup competitions during Lambert's reign. He particularly came under fire after an FA Cup exit to the Blades last season but has always insisted comments before that match questioning the importance of the cup compared to Premier League survival were taken out of context. He said: "I got pilloried last year. The FA Cup is vital to this football club and we will go and try and win it. "We have to have a cup run. If we can get a good cup run it is then in the memory for everyone. We would love to go to Wembley."

Daily Telegraph: Paul Lambert has fined Aston Villa winger Jack Grealish and warned him to focus on football after the teenager vented his frustration on Twitter. Grealish tweeted that he wants to "be happy playing football again" and a furious Lambert is now considering further punishment by leaving him out of the squad for Sunday's FA Cup tie against Bournemouth. The highly rated 19-year-old has had limited first-team opportunities under Lambert, despite signing a four-year contract in October to kill off interest from Chelsea and Tottenham Hotspur. And though Grealish later deleted the tweet from his account, Lambert has fined him a week's wages - around £5,000 for the first year of his current deal - and told him to stay off the social networking site.

Birmingham Mail: Jack Grealish is believed to have been fined for his recent comments on Twitter which suggested that he was unhappy at his lack of playing opportunities at Aston Villa. The youngster tweeted a message which read: 'just want to be happy playing football again' after dropping out of the first-team picture and returning to U21 football. Boss Paul Lambert was angered by his behaviour and has since warned him about his future conduct.

Daily Mail: Paul Lambert has fined teenage winger Jack Grealish for posting a message on Twitter reading: 'Can't wait to be happy playing football again.' The 19-year-old included a photograph of himself smiling while on loan at Notts County last season, where he scored five times in 38 games. Lambert said he was 'not happy' with the social media statement, which was interpreted by some fans as suggesting his frustration at a lack of game time. The Villa manager had a meeting with Grealish, who has deleted the tweet, and instructed him to focus on football in no uncertain terms.

Daily Star: Aston Villa's teenage star Jack Grealish is in hot water with boss Paul Lambert for tweeting. Lambert hit the roof when the 19-year-old prospect posted a message saying 'Can't wait to be happy playing football.' The furious Villa boss is understood to have fined the teenager and told him to concentrate on trying to get into the first team. Grealish, who signed a new four-year deal in October, thought he was going out on loan - with Nottingham Forest favourites to make a move for him. But a loan switch now appears to be in doubt and he is also struggling to get in the side to face Bournemouth in the FA Cup tomorrow.

Daily Star: Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe says he wants to emulate the rise of Aston Villa boss Paul Lambert from League One to the Premier League. Lambert left Norwich to take over the reins at Villa after steering the Canaries to back-to-back promotions from the third tier. Now Howe hopes to follow in the footsteps of his Scottish counterpart after guiding Bournemouth to the top of the Championship. Howe said: "It is a journey we want to go on, the journey he went on with Norwich was magnificent. "I think he is doing very well at Villa under tough circumstances."

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

ESPN: Ciaran Clark has defended Aston Villa's disciplinary record and insisted he will always stick up for his team-mates. The centre-back became Villa's fifth player to be sent off this season after a scuffle at Leicester -- which saw the club fined and warned by the FA for the third time this term. They were hit with a 60,000 pound fine after tempers flared following Matty James' reckless tackle on Jores Okore late in the Foxes' 1-0 win this month, with Clark dismissed for grappling with James. Villa were previously punished following players' reactions to Christian Benteke's and Gabriel Agbonlahor's red cards against Tottenham and Manchester United respectively. But Clark, back from a ban for Sunday's FA Cup fourth round visit of Bournemouth, insisted Villa will always back each other up.

Daily Mail: Ciaran Clark insists painful memories from previous cup upsets will spur on Aston Villa against Bournemouth and is confident his team can end their embarrassing scoring record. The Irish defender played in the FA Cup third-round defeat to Sheffield United last January, as well as their exit at the hands of Millwall in 2013, and also the infamous humbling by Bradford in the League Cup semi-final the same year. With Villa scoring just 12 goals in all competitions this season, Championship high-fliers Bournemouth will travel to Birmingham with sights on another shock. Eddie Howe's side have actually scored the same number of goals in the city in one match as Villa have all season - following their 8-0 league win over Birmingham. Villa's eighth home goal so far, scored by Christian Benteke, came late on in the third-round win over Blackpool. Clark insisted the mood in Villa's camp remains healthy.

Daily Star: Ciaran Clark has vowed to curb his temper but insists Aston Villa have no major disciplinary issue. The Republic of Ireland star became the fifth Villa player to be sent off this season during an acrimonious league defeat to Leicester City two weeks ago. Already booked, Clark received a second caution for fighting with Matty James after the Foxes midfielder's shocking straight-red lunge on Jores Okore. Villa boss Paul Lambert has since defended his centre-half's actions, saying he expects all his players to protect one another when things turn ugly. Yet while promising to maintain that policy, Clark, 25, also accepts he must avoid any off-the-ball scraps. Instead of physically confronting opponents - as he did with James - the Villan reckons he would be better off complaining directly to the referee.

Best of the Rest

BBC Sport: Villarreal defender Gabriel Paulista is to join Arsenal with striker Joel Campbell moving the opposite way on loan, according to the Spanish club. The La Liga outfit say an agreement has been reached in principle for the £15m-rated 24-year-old to move to London.

Sky Sports: Manuel Pellegrini refused to blame Manchester City's break in Abu Dhabi for their shock 2-0 FA Cup exit to Middlesbrough. Second-half goals from Patrick Bamford and Kike were enough to see the Championship side progress to the fifth round at the expense of the Premier League champions at the Etihad Stadium.

BBC Sport: Mario Balotelli has not been good enough in training to play for Liverpool at the moment, according to boss Brendan Rodgers. The 24-year-old has yet to score in the league having signed in the summer for £16m, and was omitted from the squad for the FA Cup tie against Bolton.

2q9w86r.png35db988.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • avstu unpinned this topic

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...