FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Sir Alex Ferguson Retires... The End Of A Legacy

LionHeart82

Quite weird that he didn't go for 1500, that would annoy the crap out if me personally. Maybe the rest of us will receive fair treatment against united now? Doubtful
It will be 1500 by the end of the season. Fergie is undoubtedly the greatest manager English football has ever seen maybe even the world, he did however get a massive hand from the FA and the refs on many occasions, I suppose the only thing to say about that is he earned that leeway with what he achieved to begin with, it's not fair but I suppose respect is earned and he definitely earned it. If UTD don't pick the right man this could be a disaster for them also I wonder how this will effect UTD and other teams going to old Trafford mentally ?

controversial.png

When I was just a little boy i asked my mother what shall i beee.

Shall i be villa shall i be blues, Here's what she said to me......

YOU KNOW THE REST

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If UTD don't pick the right man this could be a disaster for them also I wonder how this will effect UTD and other teams going to old Trafford mentally ?

My thoughts exactly. I personally already feel more confident about going to OT next year knowing that AF won't be the manager. Ferguson is clearly the best thing to ever happen to utd but I feel like he's spoilt them a bit now because he was always the constant. Regardless of which players came and went the team mentality would always be the same. It's going to be difficult for anyone stepping in to his shoes because the expectations are high and they'll always be compared to AF. Like you say they need to pick the right man or they could be in trouble

This GIF of Delph has been removed due to him being a JUDAS b**tard!!!!!!

A great manager no doubt about it and the history books will show him to be the best ever because of the amount he has won.

But he has managed at united during an era when financial power has dominated football and as such for much of his reign united have only ever had one or two teams that could compete with them on an equal footing. If he'd managed in any other era i don't believe the trophy haul would be anywhere near as high.

What he has achieved at united was remarkable, but his record in the champions league was poor.

For me his most remarkable achievement came at aberdeen, to beat the old firm like he did was virtually a miracle.

I'm not sure, I think utd became the financial powerhouse that they have as a direct result of SAF's success with utd in the early years of the prem. Also he's managed in a time of big wages and big egos, financial and media pressure, would any of the past 'greats' have had the same success in the modern era? I'm not sure they would.

Have never personally liked the guy to be honest, but still think he's probably the beat manager we're ever likely to see in the game.

Also this may make a big difference to utd capabilities in signing players, a lot of the time players would go to utd on lesser contracts than they could get elsewhere and this could only really be because of fergie, many players now won't look at utd and see this iconic figure which could sway their decision meaning they will need to match the likes of city and Chelsea to compete in the market with them.

controversial.png

When I was just a little boy i asked my mother what shall i beee.

Shall i be villa shall i be blues, Here's what she said to me......

YOU KNOW THE REST

Only one club has been able to maintain a footballing dynasty in this country when the manager who had built it retired and that was liverpool replacing shankly with paisley and that was probably due to the fact that they were fortunate enough to have a man of paisleys ability already there. Every other time this happens the club are no longer as successful.

I'm not sure, I think utd became the financial powerhouse that they have as a direct result of SAF's success with utd in the early years of the prem. Also he's managed in a time of big wages and big egos, financial and media pressure, would any of the past 'greats' have had the same success in the modern era? I'm not sure they would.

Have never personally liked the guy to be honest, but still think he's probably the beat manager we're ever likely to see in the game.

They have certainly grown under fergie, but by been successful at the very point when money was enabling a select few to dominate has in my opinion helped his trophy haul. And their were always big egos in the game as for wages that has helped him because few clubs can come close to what utd can now pay.

We will never know what past greats would do now or what fergie would have done then, and fergie is the greatest because he has won more than any other manager.

But i still reckon his trophy haul would have been a lot less if it wasn't for the financial advantage he has had over so many clubs. He went into this season knowing if he finished above city they would be champions, no dark horses like their used to be and that has to help.

They have certainly grown under fergie, but by been successful at the very point when money was enabling a select few to dominate has in my opinion helped his trophy haul. And their were always big egos in the game as for wages that has helped him because few clubs can come close to what utd can now pay.

We will never know what past greats would do now or what fergie would have done then, and fergie is the greatest because he has won more than any other manager.

But i still reckon his trophy haul would have been a lot less if it wasn't for the financial advantage he has had over so many clubs. He went into this season knowing if he finished above city they would be champions, no dark horses like their used to be and that has to help.

I guess it works both ways, Fergie would probably not have been as successful at less prestigious club, and Utd wouldn't have been the prestigious club they are without fergie

I can see the next manager only lasting 2 seasons tops, its gonna be incredibly difficult working in fergies shadow. I think Utd are in for a turbulent few years now. :)

I'd certainly agree 100% with that, how on earth do you follow a manager like fergie.

Archived