Alex Mcleish Promises Summer Signings

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

OFFLINE   lukedaw

lukedaw
  • the legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fav Player: Agbonlahor

Alex McLeish has promised there will definitely be new signings in the summer after the January transfer window closed quietly at Villa last night.
A loan for LA Galaxy striker Robbie Keane and the capture of Shamrock Rovers defender Enda Stevens were the sum of McLeish’s business last month.
But the manager insists he is content to proceed with the current squad for the remainder of the campaign with a view to strengthening in the summer.

“It is not for me to say, but we have definite targets and I have definite plans on what we can do.

“I know there were fans at the gates of the training ground.
“I know they get excited about new faces – to see a bit of change or a new addition, that kind of thing, and I am fully aware of that.
“I can understand the fans are anxious to see new faces, top names, but it was not going to happen here this season.
“Building your own team sometimes isn’t an overnighter – for Mark Hughes it might be, but not for me.”
McLeish insists it is too soon to discuss the scale of his summer rebuild, which will depend on the availability and cost of his targets and the outside interest in Villa’s players.
Asked if he would be making wholesale changes in the summer, he replied: “It depends... it will need to be careful selection with a tweak here and there

Get well soon Petrov

OFFLINE   Loyalvillan

Loyalvillan
  • Peasant!!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fav Player: Given & Gabby
  • My Seat: Upper Holte K4

Makes some good points and supports some views that investment is due in the Summer!

staff.gif

These are my final notes as captain of this great club, my final notes as a footballer.

Aston Villa will always remain in my heart. - Stilyian Petrov 11/05/13

OFFLINE   dorset lion

dorset lion
  • Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fav Player: brian little
  • My Seat: upper holte

A right back, left back and centre back are the bare minimum of what we need and i would rather we go abroad and sign some quality than bring in average british journeymen like the defence we have at the moment.

OFFLINE   Skyba

Skyba
  • Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fav Player: gabby, yorke, mcgrath, mellberg, bosnich

I still can't see any type of substantial investment in the summer,

Look at it this way,

Hughes didn't come to us, did we try or not??? But one thing is for sure a few names mentioned didn't want to come in as they would have no money to spend, some of these managers are still out of work,
So if there was going to be money invested by Lerner surely these people out of work would have said yeah I'd rather be in the game and just hav to wait 12 months to spend rarer than spending right now or not taking the job.

It's obvious there will be some movement otherwise we'll be left without enough players to make a squad BUT I just can't see us ever scaring the likes of spurs or even qpr and Sunderland with the signings we'll be able to bring in while randy owns us.

By that I don't mean qpr and Sunderland will be worlds above us more that they'll feel that they can beat us home and away without fear whereas a few seasons ago these teams would dread facing us with our pace and quality on the ball
Posted Image

When I was just a little boy i asked my mother what shall i beee.
Shall i be villa shall i be blues, Here's what she said to me......

YOU KNOW THE REST

OFFLINE   Sacro

Sacro
  • Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fav Player: Heskey

I still can't see any type of substantial investment in the summer,

Look at it this way,

Hughes didn't come to us, did we try or not??? But one thing is for sure a few names mentioned didn't want to come in as they would have no money to spend, some of these managers are still out of work,
So if there was going to be money invested by Lerner surely these people out of work would have said yeah I'd rather be in the game and just hav to wait 12 months to spend rarer than spending right now or not taking the job.

It's obvious there will be some movement otherwise we'll be left without enough players to make a squad BUT I just can't see us ever scaring the likes of spurs or even qpr and Sunderland with the signings we'll be able to bring in while randy owns us.

By that I don't mean qpr and Sunderland will be worlds above us more that they'll feel that they can beat us home and away without fear whereas a few seasons ago these teams would dread facing us with our pace and quality on the ball

I think Hughes thought he would be interviewed when he walked out on Fulham but Lerner and Al-fayed are old mates and Lerner didn't even invite him for an interview, that's what i heard anyway.

OFFLINE   Peever

Peever
  • Peasant !
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fav Player: Carew

I hope RL is willing to inject 40-50 million into the squad...

meetmember.png          member.png

OFFLINE   deano.w

deano.w
  • First Team
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Fav Player: Mcgrath, Cowans, Mellberg

A right back, left back and centre back are the bare minimum of what we need and i would rather we go abroad and sign some quality than bring in average british journeymen like the defence we have at the moment.

I would like to see a new fullback for both sides, like you say.

Clarke is playing ok in the middle of the park, but he is too static. He needs to drop back into the centreback role so he can start learning his trade there alongside Dunne or Cueller. Then maybe we need another centreback in the mid-late 20s to replace Collins.

In middle I think we should be ok. We should start blooding Gardener now ready for next season, maybe he could give us a bit more pace and urgency in the middle. And be the box to box midfielder we need. I would like to see us using Ireland more in the centre and not out wide.

Then maybe someone to replace Petrov, younger legs but still some experiance.

Another wide player is a must, with only Zog and Albrighten. Both need to improve or we need better.

Then i think we should be looking at another striker, not to replace bent but someone to do what Keano is doing now. Linking up the play, collecting balls to feet, running into channels and dragging defenders around. Leaving bent to do what he is good at.

All in all around 5 or 6 players.

OFFLINE   Jayemdubbya

Jayemdubbya
  • Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Good points deano.

I'd like to see smart buys that build us for the long term. No more aging vets. Drop Clark back to CB and sign someone like Dann who is young enough to give us a solid 5 years or so, but experienced enough to support Clark.

I also agree with another winger. My vote still goes with Scott Sinclair or Brek Shea. Read a report that Brendan Rogers is willing to sell players in order to fund for the future, and heard Sinclair could be had for 8 mil or so. Shea may play in MLS but he has proved on the international stage that he is the real deal. I think anyone who has actually watched him play would agree.

Fullbacks will be tough. Another RB is needed but I doubt AM signs one because he got Hutton last year. Just gonna hope Lichaj beats him for the spot. LB is a big need and it looks like AM knows that. Hutton has been benched due to play, Warnock has.
"Lions roar, not whimper. You're the hunters, not the hunted. Now get out there to f*ck and bring home the points because if you don't bring home the bacon you get treated like a pig. Pigs belong in the sty and that shithole's down the road. We're the pride of Birmingham so FFS make Brum proud tonight." -AnneMc

OFFLINE   Sacro

Sacro
  • Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fav Player: Heskey

I agree with another winger but lets not forget Gabby out there, he's really stepped up on the left this season and he'd be my first pick, the only problem is he tends to cut in and pass it into the box rather than cross, still though he's very dangerous.

i say again.. hoilett.... hoilett hoilett hoilett... plus a whole new defence.. then i'll look forward to next season!

OFFLINE   ak47deol

ak47deol
  • Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fav Player: Mellberg, Maldini, Kaka
  • My Seat: Holte End

Dann, Shakiri, Diame, Figeuroa, N'Zonzi, Zaha, Hoillet, Rhodes and Clyne in

Collins, Hutton, Warnock, Heskey, Petrov, Beye and Fonz out

That should make us a force again, struggling to think of any decent full backs tho. Three of the players are on frees so wont exactly break the bank for RL
Posted Image

OFFLINE   LaVillain

LaVillain
  • Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fav Player: anyone who is commited to the Villa
  • My Seat: holte end

Dann, Shakiri, Diame, Figeuroa, N'Zonzi, Zaha, Hoillet, Rhodes and Clyne in

Collins, Hutton, Warnock, Heskey, Petrov, Beye and Fonz out

That should make us a force again, struggling to think of any decent full backs tho. Three of the players are on frees so wont exactly break the bank for RL

Great signings........and the moneys coming from where??????????????????????????

chinated.gif soccer90x90.gif funny_soccer.gif

when your up to your nuts in alligators...It's hard to concentrate and remember your initial task was to drain the swamp

OFFLINE   ak47deol

ak47deol
  • Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fav Player: Mellberg, Maldini, Kaka
  • My Seat: Holte End

Great signings........and the moneys coming from where??????????????????????????

Money that will be invested in the summer due to players going out and maybe some out of RL hence why this topic was made. Quit the cheeky remarks aswel as it is getting boring yeah mate
Posted Image

OFFLINE   Raymond

Raymond
  • First Team
  • PipPipPipPip

To the naysayers, when has AM ever lied about investment? If he had said there would be new players in January, then I would understand the skepticism, but he never did. In fact, he time and time again said there would be no new signings.

If he says there will be investment in the Summer, which makes sense considering the wages coming of the books, then why do we have any reason to not believe him? Aside, of course, from the general negativity prevalent around here.
Off to VillaTalk. If you want Skyba free chatting, join me.

OFFLINE   Skyba

Skyba
  • Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fav Player: gabby, yorke, mcgrath, mellberg, bosnich

To the naysayers, when has AM ever lied about investment? If he had said there would be new players in January, then I would understand the skepticism, but he never did. In fact, he time and time again said there would be no new signings.

If he says there will be investment in the Summer, which makes sense considering the wages coming of the books, then why do we have any reason to not believe him? Aside, of course, from the general negativity prevalent around here.

And he also told the truth when he said downing wouldn't be sold.

And also you stated as to why he didn't say there would be investment in jan, because nobody would have believed him. If he came out now and said we're not going to invest in the summer there would be uproar.

I believe there will be investment I the summer just not from RL but from whoever he sells to
Posted Image

When I was just a little boy i asked my mother what shall i beee.
Shall i be villa shall i be blues, Here's what she said to me......

YOU KNOW THE REST

OFFLINE   Jayemdubbya

Jayemdubbya
  • Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip

And he also told the truth when he said downing wouldn't be sold.

And also you stated as to why he didn't say there would be investment in jan, because nobody would have believed him. If he came out now and said we're not going to invest in the summer there would be uproar.

I believe there will be investment I the summer just not from RL but from whoever he sells to

I've seen you hold that against AM numerous times, so let's clarify it:

http://www.birmingha...97319-29010346/

The quote from AM is that he was "not for sale", and "the club doesn't want to sell" him. AM never said that he "wouldn't be sold". There is a difference. We all know what happened after. Downing submitted a transfer request. He wanted out. Direct quote. The club didn't want to sell, Downing forced the issue by issuing a transfer request.

"Lions roar, not whimper. You're the hunters, not the hunted. Now get out there to f*ck and bring home the points because if you don't bring home the bacon you get treated like a pig. Pigs belong in the sty and that shithole's down the road. We're the pride of Birmingham so FFS make Brum proud tonight." -AnneMc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users