Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ak47deol

Relegation- Are We Staying Up

Guest 00bluehen

Forgive my ignorance for what you're about to read...I am but an unschooled American who has to deal with NFL/MLB/NBA playoffs and last-place-finishes without the threat of relegation, and have only recently started following "football" over here.

I've seen, across various Villa forums, that relegation would be a "doomsday scenario." I get that this extends beyond the mere ego-blow it would be to finish in the bottom 3 and take the drop...but it's been built up as something that would destroy Villa. Why is this? Outside of losing the TV-rights money that comes with the Premier League, what other damage would taking the drop do? Newcastle and West Ham both took the plunge, only to pop right back up a year later (Newcastle winning the Championship outright while WHU came up via playoff). Hull seems to be making their way back up, and I never felt they were a huge club (the year I started following seriously was the year they were relegated). Didn't Albion get their little "Boing Boing" annoyance from their penchant for going up and going down? Blackburn, Wolves, and Bolton were horribly run and had their key talent plucked after their drop, so no wonder they're struggling. Middlesbrough has managed to stay near the top of the Championship. Palace, despite losing points for administration, not only stayed up last year but are challenging for the playoff this year. SHA are lingering at the bottom, but it's no secret how awful they've been run the past 2+ years. I get that for every Newcastle, there's probably 2 or 3 Nottingham Forests, though, and realize that it's not always as easy as a quick pop back up. That said, Villa are a huge club with a long top-flight history and have a billionaire owner, so it doesn't seem to me that it'd be difficult to "pull a Newcastle" were the worst to happen. Noted how naive that probably sounds...

I'm hoping this is a moot question, and excuse my ignorance on the topic--What is it about the drop that has the folks fearing for Villa's long-term future?

I'll support them wherever they are but hard to see matches here in Aus if they're not in Prem.

Can see a fair few games on Setanta, would have to stream the rest. It won't happen, so don't worry about it.

Forgive my ignorance for what you're about to read...I am but an unschooled American who has to deal with NFL/MLB/NBA playoffs and last-place-finishes without the threat of relegation, and have only recently started following "football" over here.

I've seen, across various Villa forums, that relegation would be a "doomsday scenario." I get that this extends beyond the mere ego-blow it would be to finish in the bottom 3 and take the drop...but it's been built up as something that would destroy Villa. Why is this? Outside of losing the TV-rights money that comes with the Premier League, what other damage would taking the drop do? Newcastle and West Ham both took the plunge, only to pop right back up a year later (Newcastle winning the Championship outright while WHU came up via playoff). Hull seems to be making their way back up, and I never felt they were a huge club (the year I started following seriously was the year they were relegated). Didn't Albion get their little "Boing Boing" annoyance from their penchant for going up and going down? Blackburn, Wolves, and Bolton were horribly run and had their key talent plucked after their drop, so no wonder they're struggling. Middlesbrough has managed to stay near the top of the Championship. Palace, despite losing points for administration, not only stayed up last year but are challenging for the playoff this year. SHA are lingering at the bottom, but it's no secret how awful they've been run the past 2+ years. I get that for every Newcastle, there's probably 2 or 3 Nottingham Forests, though, and realize that it's not always as easy as a quick pop back up. That said, Villa are a huge club with a long top-flight history and have a billionaire owner, so it doesn't seem to me that it'd be difficult to "pull a Newcastle" were the worst to happen. Noted how naive that probably sounds...

I'm hoping this is a moot question, and excuse my ignorance on the topic--What is it about the drop that has the folks fearing for Villa's long-term future?

There'd be a lot more damage than losing the TV money. The Premier League attracts a global audience, the Championship doesn't. Even at a local level, Villa can't even come close to filling the ground these days so imagine how many more empty seats there would be if Villa were playing in the Championship. Clubs exiting the PL get a parachute payment but it's split over 3 years and relegated teams lose, on average, £40 million in revenue in the season after the drop so the parachute payment for year one would still leave them with a deficit of approximately £20 million for that one season. These financial constraints mean wage bills are slashed so bigger names/higher earners move on and then a new team often has to be scrambled together in a rush and it's obviously harder to attract really top notch new players.

You mention Newcastle and West Ham but of the 30 teams relegated in the past decade only 8 have bounced straight back up, fewer than half (12, I think) have returned to the Premiership at all and various teams, including Portsmouth and Man City, suffered further drops out of the Championship (with differing success in their attempts to return to the PL).

There are no guarantees of a quick return or even a return at all so it's always a real dogfight to survive and Lambert's Lions must pounce on every point.

But it's January and too early to worry about the drop. UTV!

2426f5x.png

At the moment we are fine, however I will evaluate after feb 13, when we have had 2 months of more kind games

Our run in is brutal so we need to start picking up points pronto!!

Lets just see how we do in transfer market!!

Guest 00bluehen

Thanks very much for that info, Anne.

There'd be a lot more damage than losing the TV money. The Premier League attracts a global audience, the Championship doesn't. Even at a local level, Villa can't even come close to filling the ground these days so imagine how many more empty seats there would be if Villa were playing in the Championship. Clubs exiting the PL get a parachute payment but it's split over 3 years and relegated teams lose, on average, £40 million in revenue in the season after the drop so the parachute payment for year one would still leave them with a deficit of approximately £20 million for that one season. These financial constraints mean wage bills are slashed so bigger names/higher earners move on and then a new team often has to be scrambled together in a rush and it's obviously harder to attract really top notch new players.

You mention Newcastle and West Ham but of the 30 teams relegated in the past decade only 8 have bounced straight back up, fewer than half (12, I think) have returned to the Premiership at all and various teams, including Portsmouth and Man City, suffered further drops out of the Championship (with differing success in their attempts to return to the PL).

There are no guarantees of a quick return or even a return at all so it's always a real dogfight to survive and Lambert's Lions must pounce on every point.

But it's January and too early to worry about the drop. UTV!

and of course anne. the great pride we all share in playing in and being one of the more established clubs in the premier leaguel. unlike sha, albion. wolves,etc, who hate us for it but deep down have admiration for the club we love so much. we are at the moment going through a tough time. but, we are still. PRIDE OF THE MIDLANDS. and the daddy of them all. UTV.

Today game wth Bradford proved that Villa players are typical for Championship level. Benteke only is player for Premier league. Wigan, Bradford... what more. It's a shame. One of the previous posts was that the last two season have been under the destiny of prolapsing. But now it will come true to show that nothing has changed to better. The failure was only postponed.

The worst is not the season in Championship, but the destiny of Nothingham, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Blackburn. Even Newcastle who came back are not the same team. Once down, always down. This is the current tendence in the football.

Lerner is guilty for this. Several managers changed, nothing changed. With third class players, this is the maximum.

RIP Aston Villa. Hope to wake up without Lerner one day!

availability of televised matches? =).

Relegation?

its happening

unfortunately it's looking less and less like a far-fetched prediction.