FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Relegation- Are We Staying Up

ak47deol

As one of the older generation who followed Villa in the bad old 3rd division days, I always thought that things would never again be allowed to get so bad as they were then! Although we may still currently be in the top flight, things can, and do, change dramatically and quickly in football, just look at Leeds, Portsmouth, Wolves, Bolton etc, who all sank alarmingly fast. So far, we have been lucky because each season has seen at least 3 worse teams than us, who have ultimately gone down, but our luck will surely run out in time, as other teams - particularly those coming up from the championship - are spending decent money in order to strengthen!

Coventry City are a good example of a club who were happy to go season after season in the top flight as just an average, mid-table team; at the time, they held the record for having spent more time in the first division than any other team (with just an FA cup win to show for it) but their lack of progress eventually came back and bit them on the ass!

I love - and always have done - Aston Villa. The fantastic support and stadium deserve to be entertaining only the top opposition but my fear is that saving money will become the most important focus for the management and owner. I wouldn't want the club to become another massive 'overspender' and get pulled apart by massive debts, but sometimes you do have to 'speculate to accumulate'!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I saw something in today's performance that gave me some hope of staying up ,,

Love it!!!!! Supporting Villa isn't good for my health!!!! Or my marriage Bank balance Car Self respect :-)

listenining to the post match interview----i do,nt envisage much, if any experience being brought in,-- Lambo said Villa have skimmed relegation the last 2 seasons with experience,---and he is right,!

As one of the older generation who followed Villa in the bad old 3rd division days, I always thought that things would never again be allowed to get so bad as they were then! Although we may still currently be in the top flight, things can, and do, change dramatically and quickly in football, just look at Leeds, Portsmouth, Wolves, Bolton etc, who all sank alarmingly fast. So far, we have been lucky because each season has seen at least 3 worse teams than us, who have ultimately gone down, but our luck will surely run out in time, as other teams - particularly those coming up from the championship - are spending decent money in order to strengthen!

Coventry City are a good example of a club who were happy to go season after season in the top flight as just an average, mid-table team; at the time, they held the record for having spent more time in the first division than any other team (with just an FA cup win to show for it) but their lack of progress eventually came back and bit them on the ass!

I love - and always have done - Aston Villa. The fantastic support and stadium deserve to be entertaining only the top opposition but my fear is that saving money will become the most important focus for the management and owner. I wouldn't want the club to become another massive 'overspender' and get pulled apart by massive debts, but sometimes you do have to 'speculate to accumulate'!

Good post ,i was there too man way way down in the third------where everywhere you went there were neanderthal clowns only too eager to take a pop at you becos "a once big club was daring to set foot in their town"----Mansfield,Wrexham,Oxford,Chesterfield,,--all the local have a go heroes would get out of their pit to try to grab a Villa scarfe----like some blinkin war trophy----man i,m too old for that c*** now---

you are absolutely bang on about coventry----just happy and content to meander on continously sitting mid-table slowly dropping down the league(s) selling out occasionally when the likes of manure and liverpool came visiting ,not really investing in the playing staff, but selling Highfield Rd and moving to a modern stadium---- then all of a sudden it creeps up and wham bam thankyou mam your f****g well down and out!!!!!----just look at them now dont even play in the 3 spire city!!!

Villa Park and Villa fans dont deserve that experience again----blimey i can recall as i bet you can man home gates of between 12,000--15,000 and there was standing them days---Villa Park a quarter full were,nt /aint/wont be a pretty sight rest assured on that!!!!

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

Villa Park and Villa fans dont deserve that experience again----blimey i can recall as i bet you can man home gates of between 12,000--15,000 and there was standing them days---Villa Park a quarter full were,nt /aint/wont be a pretty sight rest assured on that!!!!

I wonder if Lerner knows what Charlie Aitken said (years ago now) :

"I have played in front of 12,000 people in the First Division and 30,000 in the Third." ?

... and is 'hoping for the best' ???

P.S. My first Villa match was Aston Villa 2-0 Preston North End in September 1970.

AVFC RFC SAFC

Freddy,

Even if we stay up, which would mainly be due to there being 3 other teams worse than us, you would still have Lamberts lovers saying give him another year another 20-30 million to waste.

Some people won't accept PL is not the man for the job, maybe its blind loyalty because they made such a public clamour for him to get the job.

McLeish and Houllier certainly weren't any worse than PL yet received zero slack from the fans.

PL needs to go, but I'm not expecting anything to change, anytime soon, except possibly the league we play in.

Simple and too the point.

i wouldn't trust lambert in another transfer window ether. Didn't trust him this time either.

newcomer.gif

"Look at the Holte End, listen to the Holte End"

Gary Mowbray BBC MOTD Aston Villa 1 - Chelsea 0

Saturday 15th March 2014

14186800904_ee18449a69_o.jpg

Simple fact is that like many football clubs now.....it's a buisness first and second, and football team and a way of life somewhere near the bottom.

Well there's no bigger shock for a football club to drop a division. And like many have said like you, once you go down it's a horrid road.

newcomer.gif

Saturday 15th March 2014

I'm saying 42 needed to stay up ,,

It's a sad thing to say but I think we will struggle to get that, but luckily enough 3 teams will do even worse than us.. and obviously something is drastically wrong if you're not staying up on your own merit, you are staying up on the inadequacies of other teams.

@Callum_sleezby

PSN : eAzY-Tig3r_

332rpqx.jpg

I'm saying 42 needed to stay up ,,

yes I think so, 40 will be too tight. Lot of clubs are going to fight to avoid that 3rd relegation spot.

newcomer.gif

Saturday 15th March 2014

Archived