Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
avstu

Joe Bennett

Not sure if its been mentioned but I think we shouldn't play Bennett at the back, i found he's too clumsy there. How about trying him in a attacking role, like a winger. We see the odd skill here and there when he attacks from the back.

Their is only one way he will improve, and that is by playing. We have already seen improvement in his game this season and if he gets better defensively he will be a major asset to the team as he is naturally left footed.

Just a thought, but most players are right footed, which means a left back is far more likely to be facing the oppositions main supply source or to at least be facing a player who is naturally right footed, on many occasions a right back will be up against a player who has to check inside because he can't cross with his left foot. A bit out there as theorys go but is that a valid argument as to why LB is a harder position to play in many games than RB ?

I thought he was lucky to stay on the pitch on Saturday , it was never a penalty as the original foul was outside the area. Like a good red wine, will improve with age !!

To be honest, he's starting to look like another Bannan. Barry looked good and promising early on, and when he's on his game, he looks like a top player. But when he's bad...........he's AWFUL, as in "who let their little brother out in th pitch" awful.

This is what Bennett seems to do. He looks outstanding at times, but when he has a bad match, the low is VERY low. IMO, this is what lost Bannan his spot in the lineup.

Bennett has more upside than Lichaj, but IMO Lichaj is more reliable. You know what you're getting with Lichaj. At some point Bennett needs to become more consistent or I believe it will cost him his spot.

Bannan is consistently bad and Lichaj is god awful going forward IMO.

Bennett played very well today and seems not to let the stick get to him, will be a good player for us going forward...as long as he learns not to go all or nothing in the box if a player has the better of him

I thought he gave the ball away a few times tbh, but other than that yeah he had a good game although Chelsea didn't really play with wingers so he wasn't tested as much as he was v United

I have to say that I thought Bennett had a great game v Chelsea.

He covered hell of a lot of ground and covered along the back line a couple of times.

Really dont rate him cost us a few times doesnt cut it for me but had a crackin game against chelsea and tbf his alright going forward

To be honest, he's starting to look like another Bannan.

Seems a very harsh assessment :g:

Bannan is very poor consistently whereas I think Bennett has improved markedly this season and will be very handy next season.

Time will tell I suppose.

The only way is up for Bennett.... Personally i think he would be a better winger more than anything he is smart with his crossing into the box. if he really wants to stay as a left back, he would really need to buff up and get stronger off the ball. Half of the crossing goals that we have given up were because him not being able to get the man out of the way... but again the only way is up for him.

Needs to do more of those weights on the picture of the initial thread, he looked like a typical boy v man against Norwich, and was being rash in frustration.

A good article on Joe Bennett: http://avillafan.com/site/6847/the-curious-case-of-joe-bennett/

Certainly worth a read..

didnt know that he got lashed out of it on his twitter acct till recently. i can openly admit i have called him every name under the sun shouting at the tv but fukin hell, if he messes up at villa im hardly goin around to his house LOL

he improved alot but hes no defender, midfielder i preech

I have to agree Stevo - has a decent cross on him and loves getting forward - must improve on his defending though.

Players like him are the ones that need support the most though. He messes up sure, but he's apologising to the fans afterwards on Twitter, saying he deserves the abuse he gets sometimes - that to me sounds like he beats himself up about making those mistakes in the first place and he needs us to get behind him for him to become a better player.

I have to agree Stevo - has a decent cross on him and loves getting forward - must improve on his defending though.

just doesnt cut it for me, i keep thinking how fortunate we were last year with injuries, if bennett was injured who was goin to replace him??? back 4 imo will be lowton, vlaar, okore, and luna. well thats what im expecting. would love to say bennet did enough cause i know he tried his best and the like of baker, fukin hell that lad would take a bullet to the chest to keep the ball out of the back of the net, realisticly though, madness doesnt get u stability and imo thats what lambert is trying to create

He's got quick feet too, will be interesting to see how Lambert handles him next season.