Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
avstu

Joe Bennett

135 posts in this topic

Joe Bennett

2012-2016

Discuss Joe Bennett's Aston Villa career here.

Havent been pleased with his contribution so far this season, Unlike Lowton is seems to be taking him a bit of time to settle.

As I said in the Fulham match chat - he made 2 mistakes that cost goals both against Spurs and Southampton and then again in todays game witch Fulham maybe should of scored from.

He needs to book his ideas up if he is to settle at this level!

Steven Warnock must be laughing his arse off!!

Steven Warnock must be laughing his arse off!!

To be honest i dont think he has been that bad this season and i would still rather bennett than Warnock!

Some of his play shows promise, as we're not shipping to many goals i would stick with him for two reasons, their is no outstanding replacement and he can only improve by playing. It's at the other end where are real problems lie.

Yeah, he does show promise, especially attacking, he's not afraid to run at players. I'd stick with him and see how it goes.

Seems better served as a wing back than a traditional fullback. Not very good defensively.

At least use him to take dead ball situations if he's playing

Credit when it's due.

I think young Joe is beginning to settle a bit and it's showing in his improved form.

We expect instant success with every signing. Lambert said it would take time and here's the proof !

A good footballer who will get better and better ,, villas left back for years to come

If there was an award for most improved player, he'd be it. It was easy to lose patience with him when other lower league signings like Westwood and Lowton were so much better early on.

To step back and look at the big picture, to be where he is now on such an inexperienced squad after signing late in the summer window is a credit to him.

There were times this year when he was my 4th choice at LB after Stevens, Lichaj, and Baker. Stevens and Lichaj haven't seen the pitch in months, and Baker is trying to cement himself as a first choice CB. Credit to PL for seeing the potential and giving him his shot.

Backed him from day 1 even when you all slated him. I see something special in Bennett, he seems a really good player on the ball just needs to work hard defensively and we will have a very very good lb

I never slated him either.

Can tell there is a player in there. He's got a great cross on him.

Yes, he can get caught out defensively, but it's happening less and less and even the best get caught out at some point.

As B6 says, sometimes supporters expect players to be instantly successful. Some just take a little time to settle.

thought the lad had a good game against Fulham, excusing his 45 yard whistler!!---to me he has improved greatly since that Norwich game when he was red-carded,!!

could follow in a long line ofrecent good Villa left backs--- such as -Charlie Aitken,Alan Wright,Gary Williams,Colin Gibson,Tony Dorigo,Mark Delaney, Chris Price,

yup he,s certainly growing on me,

CB's always mature slower than attacking players, this is something i am sure of!

Maybe its a case of learning from mistakes and building your game around those experiences? but the difference is that Attacking Players make a mistake and all that happens is a missed opportunity (some thing we have had a fair bit of this season!) a defender does the same and its the game lost!

Lowton Vlaar Baker Bennett

This is a very young defence who as they grow with experience and synergy will be a main stay! and THIS is the corner stone of all successful teams! maybe i am overestimating the potential of the Lads but i am feeling positive tonight!

I think the young lad has done fairly well tbh

Considering how the season has been going, that adds pressure to any young player and can lead to mistakes etc which he has been guilty of...but...who hasnt this season?

Excellent talent imo and will only get better

And seems to be taking the knocks he gets on the chin, then picks himself back up and moves on a little wiser maybe?! a good quality in a player

Always had the quality in attack (particularly his crosses which are of a high standard) but had to improve defensively which he's done quickly. Will end up a top quality LB for mine. I actually rate him higher than Lowton (barring one screamer of a goal! Lol) who I think still has plenty of work to do on his defence whereas Bennett has progressed that part of his game nicely.

Not sure if its been mentioned but I think we shouldn't play Bennett at the back, i found he's too clumsy there. How about trying him in a attacking role, like a winger. We see the odd skill here and there when he attacks from the back.

Their is only one way he will improve, and that is by playing. We have already seen improvement in his game this season and if he gets better defensively he will be a major asset to the team as he is naturally left footed.

Just a thought, but most players are right footed, which means a left back is far more likely to be facing the oppositions main supply source or to at least be facing a player who is naturally right footed, on many occasions a right back will be up against a player who has to check inside because he can't cross with his left foot. A bit out there as theorys go but is that a valid argument as to why LB is a harder position to play in many games than RB ?

I thought he was lucky to stay on the pitch on Saturday , it was never a penalty as the original foul was outside the area. Like a good red wine, will improve with age !!

To be honest, he's starting to look like another Bannan. Barry looked good and promising early on, and when he's on his game, he looks like a top player. But when he's bad...........he's AWFUL, as in "who let their little brother out in th pitch" awful.

This is what Bennett seems to do. He looks outstanding at times, but when he has a bad match, the low is VERY low. IMO, this is what lost Bannan his spot in the lineup.

Bennett has more upside than Lichaj, but IMO Lichaj is more reliable. You know what you're getting with Lichaj. At some point Bennett needs to become more consistent or I believe it will cost him his spot.

Bannan is consistently bad and Lichaj is god awful going forward IMO.