FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Beckham Not Included In The Olympic Squad

villan_ste

Beckham for the Olympics?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Would YOU have picked him

• YES
    • NO

Your 100% right, i know f*ck all about these events and don't wish to. whilst most sports are fun to take part in not many make for a great spectator event which is why they are minority sports and whilst they may have people go along for the olympic experiance most have next to no coverage at any other time. My opinion (which is what i was giving as this is a forum) is that the olympics is an over priced over hyped event more interested in financial gain than sporting excellence. And that is not aimed at the atheletes but the very rich administrators.

As for the ticketing system i'm just commenting on what we all saw last year on the telly, the fiasco that surrounded the allocation of tickets and people not getting tickets for the events they wanted.

What is this coming together of people that you mention ? because i don't see what the difference is between going to watch an event with family and friends at the olympics or any other social event that happens on a daily basis. This "great coming together" and "the olympic legacy" are just political soundbites that when examined mean nothing.

All the great and the good will be whisked off down the special lanes allocated for them and straight into the best seats with 5 star food and booze laid on, all free of charge. While the plebs who are paying for it will sit in the traffic, get body searched going in and pay a fiver for a pint of carling.

I hope you enjoy yourself, i really do but i want no part of it.

And if that makes me sound like a miserable cynical wingeing old t*sser its because i am.

I was referring mainly to the Olympic torch relay as (i dont know if it was you or sacro) someone said they dont give a f*ck about it. But in Stafford alone there must've been atleast 40-60,000+ people at the very least turn out to see it (and thats just the main stretch of the centre, around the Boroughs of Stafford there were even more). Everyone was excited, everyone was proud and everyone had a good time. People i know from around the country said the same about their area too. And like i said with this year being the Queens Jubilee, Olympics and with the Euros being on aswell, the whole country has seemed to come together as one, which, like i said is nice to see for once!

mzjj.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was referring mainly to the Olympic torch relay as (i dont know if it was you or sacro) someone said they dont give a f*ck about it. But in Stafford alone there must've been atleast 40-60,000+ people at the very least turn out to see it (and thats just the main stretch of the centre, around the Boroughs of Stafford there were even more). Everyone was excited, everyone was proud and everyone had a good time. People i know from around the country said the same about their area too. And like i said with this year being the Queens Jubilee, Olympics and with the Euros being on aswell, the whole country has seemed to come together as one, which, like i said is nice to see for once!

your criteria for "the country coming together" seems to be thousands of people being in the same place at the same time for the same reason.. Which happens every weekend between August and May.

Also, these torches thousands of people gather to watch have no historic significance, they're made for THIS Olympic games, while most the people I know thought there was one torch that had been used for years.. They're fuelled by butane.. And ultimately sold on eBay.. It's not moaning.. It's the reality of the situation.. It's all about the media.

Poll now added.

my personal opinion is that Beckham should of definitely been chosen to represent team GB for the Olympics, he might not be the most gifted footballer England has produced, but there has been no other player to wear the Three lions in my living memory to show as much desire and heart while on the pitch, dead balls, passing and determination are match by no other. Off the pitch is the same sort of story, he made it a personal mission to lead the failed World Cup bid, and if not for FIFA pockets being lined by cash rich minnow countries might have done it, also been part of the Olympic bid and done alot since the games were announced to be held here.

Overall, theres no question for me, he has EARNED the right to play, so much more than just a footballer.

Craig Bell-end-amy...? 1 of the best 3 over 23's we can come up with? next they'll be saying they have Joey Barton on standby..!

not saying Beckham is up in the top 3 either but for the work he has put into this and also his career overall... should be in there.

PREDICTIONLEAGUE.gif

XBOX Gamertag : VillAlMiGhtY

Poll now added.

my personal opinion is that Beckham should of definitely been chosen to represent team GB for the Olympics, he might not be the most gifted footballer England has produced, but there has been no other player to wear the Three lions in my living memory to show as much desire and heart while on the pitch, dead balls, passing and determination are match by no other. Off the pitch is the same sort of story, he made it a personal mission to lead the failed World Cup bid, and if not for FIFA pockets being lined by cash rich minnow countries might have done it, also been part of the Olympic bid and done alot since the games were announced to be held here.

Overall, theres no question for me, he has EARNED the right to play, so much more than just a footballer.

Craig Bell-end-amy...? 1 of the best 3 over 23's we can come up with? next they'll be saying they have Joey Barton on standby..!

not saying Beckham is up in the top 3 either but for the work he has put into this and also his career overall... should be in there.

Well said

“Each smallest act of kindness, reverberates across great distances and spans of time --affecting lives unknown to the one who’s generous spirit, was the source of this good echo. Because kindness is passed on and grows each time it’s passed until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage, years later, and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.”

Poll now added.

I'll second that, like i said he did his part to win the Olympics bid in the first place, and like you im not saying that the squad should solely be picked on names but hes a great ambassador and humanitarian and would be an inspiration to the youngsters in the squad.

mzjj.jpg

I wouldn't deny beckham the chance to represent us at the olympics, in fact now bale is injured i think it would be a nice belated gesture from pearce to include him. For all the time the man put in helping win the bid he deserves the chance and wouldn't let us down.

Archived