FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Beckham Not Included In The Olympic Squad

villan_ste

Beckham for the Olympics?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Would YOU have picked him

• YES
    • NO

Isn't the Olympics in fact a lot cheaper than first predicted and the country stand to make 10x what it's cost us?

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't the Olympics in fact a lot cheaper than first predicted and the country stand to make 10x what it's cost us?

No, the original quote at the time of our bid was £8 billion, that very quickly rose to £24 billion and rising and if we turn a profit we will be the first.

Their will be a lot of money made out of the olympics but the taxpayer will see very little return for the huge investment. You will hear politicians talk about the olympics making us the centre of global attention and showcasing all that is good about the uk you will not hear them mention profits, if that question arises they refer to the legacy the games leave. Big f**cking deal £24 billion for a legacy, whatever that is.

Just because its YOUR personal preference that you dont like a particular sport does not in any way shape or form make it unpopular. Unless you are an all-seeing all-hearing God that knows everything?

I happen to have done alot of sport/athletics in my time and know a hell of a lot of people that not only maintain a massive interest, but also went on to major competitions and win alot of medals.

Some people like football, some people dont. Some people like golf, some people dont. Some people like athletics, some people dont. Its the way of the world. But forgive me if the numbers are against you here in that millions WILL watch and attend.

mzjj.jpg

I think the Beckham brand might help sell the remaining 1.odd million tickets that are left for the football, the only event that nots sold out apparently.

i dont really care eitherway

Having got tickets for myself, i can assure you its sold out.

Also, only just seen the unbelievable comments about "who gives a f*ck about teh torch" etc. Unreal.

Given the choice, would i rather have my daughter grow up in a society that is united in its cause, or divided with in-fighting? Err obvious choice.

The majority of the country right now, with the jubilee, the Euros and the Olympics are actually coming together as a proper community, and to be honest its the first time ive seen it in my lifetime and its nice! So personally thats worth more to me than the cost of the Olympics. Not my fault there are a certain few with sour grapes who cant help but moan about anything and everything. Honestly i sometimes think that some people cant survive without moaning

mzjj.jpg

It's why the ticketing system was done the way it was, pay up front and then you go into a raffle to decide what sport you get tickets for. What a crock of sh*t that was, you could sell out the 100 metres final no trouble but not much else, and that is why they sold the tickets like that because they know most people don't give a toss about most of the sports at the olympics. How many people would watch any of the following if it was in there back garden let alone pay good money for the pleasure

archery

badminton

canoeing

mountain biking

handball ( i have no idea what that is )

greco-roman wrestling

shooting

rhythmic gymnastics

and several others that left me scratching my head in dismay. What next ? darts, snooker, computer games or tantric sex. Why not it's gotta be more entertaining than watching some doris prancing around waving a bloody big ribbon.

Once again someone who obviously knows noooothing whatsoever about the sports then claims that nobody will want to watch!! What polls have you created or read that suggest nobody will want to watch those events?

A great number of my friends go to archery/shooting and have got tickets for that, a number of my friends (and my missus) did rhythmic gymnastics (the missus just wanted to watch) Greko-Roman wrestling is actually a big sport and similar to what i do now. (submissions/Vale Tudo-ground fighting)

Mountain biking - I used to be a mountain biker myself and have medals/trophies to prove as such and i can assure you its a big sport.

I could go on. But seriously it does annoy me when people claim that these sports are not worth watching when they blatently dont know anything about the sport or have no interest themselves.

Oh and im not sure what you mean about the ticketing system, when i bought tickets i could choose tickets for ANY sport i wanted (barring those taht were already sold out obviously)...

mzjj.jpg

Having got tickets for myself, i can assure you its sold out.

Also, only just seen the unbelievable comments about "who gives a f*ck about teh torch" etc. Unreal.

Given the choice, would i rather have my daughter grow up in a society that is united in its cause, or divided with in-fighting? Err obvious choice.

The majority of the country right now, with the jubilee, the Euros and the Olympics are actually coming together as a proper community, and to be honest its the first time ive seen it in my lifetime and its nice! So personally thats worth more to me than the cost of the Olympics. Not my fault there are a certain few with sour grapes who cant help but moan about anything and everything. Honestly i sometimes think that some people cant survive without moaning

Having just checked the official site, I can assure you that the football is far from sold out... In fact, they are literally giving away Olympics tickets to schools involved in the Get Set scheme and the vast majority of the thousands of tickets given to schools are for football.

There are still higher priced tickets to boxing and some other events available too.

2426f5x.png

Hmm well when i bought my tickets there were literally only two games i could buy for, the day previously id had a look and the final was on there, next day it was sold out so i got tickets for the bronze medal match instead.

That being said, everything else i have stated i stand by 100%. One persons opinion on a particular sport does not mean nobody takes an interest.

mzjj.jpg

Just because its YOUR personal preference that you dont like a particular sport does not in any way shape or form make it unpopular. Unless you are an all-seeing all-hearing God that knows everything?

I happen to have done alot of sport/athletics in my time and know a hell of a lot of people that not only maintain a massive interest, but also went on to major competitions and win alot of medals.

Some people like football, some people dont. Some people like golf, some people dont. Some people like athletics, some people dont. Its the way of the world. But forgive me if the numbers are against you here in that millions WILL watch and attend.

Personal preference? I'm passive.. I don't hate nor like athletics.. It's just a thing that is there sometimes. SOMETIMES being the key word, i.e World Championships, etc. The exposure it gets is the most indicative factor of it's popularity here, it gets NONE! Because 99% of those who are not involved in shot put give a sh*t about shot put, the same goes for high jump, long jump, triple jump, pole vaulting, marathons, decathalons.. Practically every event in athletics.. The 100m is probably the most popular event.. Coincidence that it is over around 11 seconds after starting? I just read an article about how Usain Bolt couldn't even fill a 33,000 seat arena at the height of his popularity after the last Olympic games.. At the World Championships! This is the biggest attraction in Athletics at what is assumably the second biggest competition after the Olympics, and there are THOUSANDS of empty seats. This is what Britain is about to cripple itself on, by spending (hopefully not going over) 24 BILLION pounds to host, at a time where police forces are being drastically cut and the NHS is on it's arse, and the rest of the continent is in meltdown.

You're so quick to jump at the "that's YOU'RE opinion" defence, but my opinion is only applied to the games as a whole, not the sports, which I could care less about. Look at the FACTS.. The Olympic stadium will be a football stadium soon after the Olympics, because it will NEVER again get filled by an athletics event and as Raymond said they don't want it to be a crumbling epitaph like so many others across the world. That speaks volumes as to the popularity of the Olympic sports outside the Olympics themselves.

Hmm well when i bought my tickets there were literally only two games i could buy for, the day previously id had a look and the final was on there, next day it was sold out so i got tickets for the bronze medal match instead.

That being said, everything else i have stated i stand by 100%. One persons opinion on a particular sport does not mean nobody takes an interest.

Of course some people are genuinely interested in some of the 'minority' Olympic sports and others will go along just to be part of the Olympic experience. Perhaps they should have factored in popularity when pricing events as they are literally having to give away tickets to certain events now to avoid the embarrassment of loads of empty seats.

Check the site if you want more tickets. You'll only get the more expensive ones for events other than the football, where there's any amount of £30 tickets left.

2426f5x.png

to be honest ive never given a fig for the olympics, it bores me to death, but at the same time i know there are many thousands of people that will sit and watch it on tv at home or in their local pub or club. many thousands more will attend from all over the world, its their choice, so all though it bores me i say good luck to all those who enjoy it and spend as much as you can to help pay for it, i shall be doing my own thing whilst it is on. a bit of golf. a bit of fishing, and a lot of caravanning. so it wont interfere with my life as far as im concerned, just get on with what you love doing theres nowt wrong with that.

Archived