Beckham for the Olympics?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Would YOU have picked him

• YES
    • NO

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just read a few of the above points and I have to say I agree with the f*ck the olympics opinions!!

However, we have got the Olympics in London and the we all have to put up with it or -

watch another channel

stay far away from London

don't listen to the radio !!

Rog, I have to disagree with the Beckham thing mate as I think Beckham was the best England captain since Bobby Moore, He had worked wonders outside of football and has helped change the worlds opinion that English football is not all about hooliganism.

He would have been the first name on the team sheet for me.

Just my opinion !!

image.png

Championeeeeee Championeeeee Olee Oleee Oleeeee

You need people like me so people like you can point your fcuking fingers and say there's the bad guy

Personally the olympics bore be ridged. The amount of expenditure is obscene and getting worse as each city tries to outdo the last host, who gives a f*ck about the opening ceremony or the f**cking torch. When i see crowds gathering to watch some t**t jog past with a stick on fire i despair. It's one big jolly for the rich and powerful and we're the mugs paying for it.

It used to be an athletics event but has just got ridiculous over the years, why is football even at the olympics ? without looking it up how many of us know who won it last time.

It's just another facet of modern life that in my mind has gotten completely out of hand.

As for beckham, whilst i believe playing for england meant the world to him the endless self promotion over the years really sticks in my craw, he's become the sporting equivelent of jordan. And the people who thought he was a world class footballer are probably the same ones cracking one off over images of that walking airbag.

I think the Beckham brand might help sell the remaining 1.odd million tickets that are left for the football, the only event that nots sold out apparently.

i dont really care eitherway

It's going to cost the taxpayer around 24 billion pounds to host the Olympics.. This is at a time of huge cuts. The firework budget for the opening ceremony alone is 80 million.. That's money we will see explode in the sky. It is EXACTLY a load of sh*t.. While our ridiculous politicians argue about austerity and the rest of the world watches Europe in economic meltdown we host the worlds biggest shitshow, featuring every "sport" no one really gives two fucks about.. It shocks me just how many people have bought in to the media spin on this. Who really needs the reality check?

Quite short sighted to think the Olympics will cost so much money and wont recoup any in return. Tickets, merchandising, sponsorship...Local businesses, hotels, b+b's etc will all benefit and thus help the economy. Also the sheer amount of foreigners coming into the country not only for the Olympics but to also sight-see and visit tourist attractions will also increase.

Like i said, people moaning for the sake of moaning.

p.s stating that "noone really gives a f**k" about any of the sports involved in the Olympics really is the most stupid thing ive ever read in my life. How many people will attend or watch on tele? Im fairly certain that counts towards people "giving a f**k". Oh and one of the sports involved in the Olympics is football...The same sport as the forum you follow and are posting on right now.

mzjj.jpg

I bet we will never know the true cost off the olympics, but we will make a massive loss of that i'm sure. Down here in dorset they have been improving roads to weymouth where the sailing is for years, roads that were perfectly adequete but they don't want to risk vips been stuck in traffic for a while so they have spent probably hundreds of millions just in dorset so some foreign dignatary won't have to sit in his limo for an extra few minutes. I've read that london is already a nightmare because of special lanes already in operation so that the vips can be moved around, what effect will that have on business.

I've never noticed a shortage of tourists in london and i've not heard of lots of new hotels been built to accomodate all these extra visitors so i would imagine it will be business as usual for many, bookings will no doubt be up a little but the olympics may keep almost as many away as it attracts.

Lets not forget the £24 billion now been quoted by government is 3 times the original cost and will no doubt increase again, and by the time private investors ( members of the old boy network ) and the olympic commitee have had there slice of the pie not much will be left but a bill for £24 billion.

And i agree fully with sacro, lots of bullshit sports that most people wouldn't cross the road to watch but like lemmings many people just follow the crowd, " syncronised swimming £100 a ticket, count me in. it's history in the making i have to be there".

f*ck that, they can take their poxy olympics and shove 'em where the sun don't shine.

Quite short sighted to think the Olympics will cost so much money and wont recoup any in return. Tickets, merchandising, sponsorship...Local businesses, hotels, b+b's etc will all benefit and thus help the economy. Also the sheer amount of foreigners coming into the country not only for the Olympics but to also sight-see and visit tourist attractions will also increase.

Like i said, people moaning for the sake of moaning.

p.s stating that "noone really gives a f**k" about any of the sports involved in the Olympics really is the most stupid thing ive ever read in my life. How many people will attend or watch on tele? Im fairly certain that counts towards people "giving a f**k". Oh and one of the sports involved in the Olympics is football...The same sport as the forum you follow and are posting on right now.

Short sighted? We're currently trying to fight our way out of an economic downturn.. And the Olympics traditionally puts the host country in debt.. Especially when that host nation is fucked in the first place. And yes, they are sports no one gives two fucks about in general, hence there not being bidding wars for them to be televised and Sky not giving two shits because they know it won't make a significant return. Using the football as an example of a sport people DO care about is ridiculous, because as you know it's essentially going to be reserve matches with some veterans sprinkled on top. An example of how popular the sports are in this country is encompassed by the brand new hugely expensive Olympic Stadium.. Which isn't even going to be staying in the hands of the f**cking athletic commission because they know they'll never fill the fucker again.

Before using terms like short sighted you really should put on some distance glasses mate.

Short sighted? We're currently trying to fight our way out of an economic downturn.. And the Olympics traditionally puts the host country in debt.. Especially when that host nation is fucked in the first place. And yes, they are sports no one gives two fucks about in general, hence there not being bidding wars for them to be televised and Sky not giving two shits because they know it won't make a significant return. Using the football as an example of a sport people DO care about is ridiculous, because as you know it's essentially going to be reserve matches with some veterans sprinkled on top. An example of how popular the sports are in this country is encompassed by the brand new hugely expensive Olympic Stadium.. Which isn't even going to be staying in the hands of the f**cking athletic commission because they know they'll never fill the fucker again.

Before using terms like short sighted you really should put on some distance glasses mate.

Sacro is right. The Olympics have a long history of not breaking even. At least the stadiums in London will be used and possibly pay themselves off. There are a ton of depressing, decaying former Olympic stadiums around the world.

It's why the ticketing system was done the way it was, pay up front and then you go into a raffle to decide what sport you get tickets for. What a crock of sh*t that was, you could sell out the 100 metres final no trouble but not much else, and that is why they sold the tickets like that because they know most people don't give a toss about most of the sports at the olympics. How many people would watch any of the following if it was in there back garden let alone pay good money for the pleasure

archery

badminton

canoeing

mountain biking

handball ( i have no idea what that is )

greco-roman wrestling

shooting

rhythmic gymnastics

and several others that left me scratching my head in dismay. What next ? darts, snooker, computer games or tantric sex. Why not it's gotta be more entertaining than watching some doris prancing around waving a bloody big ribbon.

Archived