Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
lukedaw

Gary Gardner

Match report from his first game:

Romain keeps Seagulls flying

Substitute Romain Vincelot's first goal for Brighton kept them in the npower Championship play-off hunt with a narrow 2-1 win over struggling Coventry.

The French defender powered home a first-half header to extend the Sky Blues' winless streak to eight games and leave them six points away from safety.

A piece of good fortune helped the Seagulls take the lead seven minutes in when the ball cannoned into the net off Coventry defender Richard Keogh after Craig Mackail-Smith's shot had been saved by Joe Murphy.

The visitors acquired teenager Grant Gardner on loan from Aston Villa on Thursday and reaped the rewards just nine minutes into his debut as he headed them level.

But it was Vincelot, who had replaced the injured Marcos Painter moments after Gardner's equaliser, who grabbed the winner, heading in Liam Bridcutt's free-kick eight minutes before half-time.

The Sky Blues travelled to Brighton having failed to win on their travels this season and they made life difficult for themselves by falling behind early on.

Captain Sammy Clingan played a woeful ball Keogh's way which Mackail-Smith ran on to. The Scotland international's initial effort was parried away by Murphy but the ball ricochet back off the Coventry centre back and rolled into the empty net.

The visitors responded instantly with debutant Gardner powering in a back-post header to equalise two minutes after the opener.

Brighton boss Gus Poyet was then forced into an early substitution when Painter came off for Vincelot after the defender pulled his hamstring.

The Seagulls fans felt they should have been awarded a penalty when Clingan, desperate to make amends for his earlier error, grabbed hold of Billy Paynter as he entered the penalty area, but referee Gavin Ward gave a free-kick on the edge of the box.

That set-piece came to nothing, but it was another free-kick which ensured Brighton regained the lead.

Gardner brought down the lively Craig Noone, presenting Bridcutt with an opportunity to send the ball into the box.

Referee Ward would not allow the Seagulls midfielder to take the free-kick quickly and that proved to be a blessing in disguise as Bridcutt eventually found Vincelot who headed in.

Nobody in a Coventry shirt tracked the Frenchman as he ran into the box and steered his header into the far corner of the net from just inside the penalty area.

Andy Thorn's side continued to be wasteful in front of goal in the second period, failing to profit from Chris Hussey's inviting crosses. Leading marksman Lukas Jutkiewicz was the biggest culprit, firing wide on a number of occasions.

Poyet's side, who had only won once in their last 12 outings, continued to invite their opponents forward but they could not find an end product.

Just what our youngsters need tbh. Ive been saying it for years - we keep hold of them and do well at youth/reserve level but then when it comes to the step up - they always struggle to make an impact as they have no first time football experience.

Give him a full year there - and no pointless callback like when he was at Coventry. It will make or break him.

Just what our youngsters need tbh. Ive been saying it for years - we keep hold of them and do well at youth/reserve level but then when it comes to the step up - they always struggle to make an impact as they have no first time football experience.

Give him a full year there - and no pointless callback like when he was at Coventry. It will make or break him.

Bang on! He will need replacing in the squad though as we are already have a small squad

This will be good for Gary, hope he can learn from Vicente aswel he was quality back in the day(also learn from Poyet)

Not really had much of a look in so far and has not even made the bench for tonight game? is he injured or does Lambert just not rate him? poor kids career has been destroyed by injury!

Not really had much of a look in so far and has not even made the bench for tonight game? is he injured or does Lambert just not rate him? poor kids career has been destroyed by injury!

have the same question about gary,what's wrong with him,is he injured or what i know that he played whole 90min against west ham u21,so what's wrong???...i think he is ready for first team,i mean,he is 21 yrs old,he is 1.88m ,he is strong has the skill a great pass technique shoot freekick,has good pace and he have been played for all england's younger selections, perfect offensive midfielder,and in my humble opinion could be new lampard (and even better),really like to see him on the pitch this season

Has been told to earn a new deal by Paul Lambert, this is something i agree with!

We all want him to do well considering he came through the ranks, but if he is unable to stay free of injury then i am sorry to say its time to part company!

Is he injured as he is not even making the Sheffield Wednesday bench which I find hard to believe.

Is he injured as he is not even making the Sheffield Wednesday bench which I find hard to believe.

He is already back from his loan. His fitness wasn't up to the expected level, that's why he wasn't able to get much of the vital match time. His chances of getting a new contract are getting smaller, also because he turns 22 in the summer and would therefore be part of the 25-man-squad.

GG is being offered either a new contract or an extension to his current one to gove him the chance to prove himself

I rate him from the small amount I've seen of him, but I don't see the point of giving a new contract unless we have evidence of him staying fit for longer than he has because we need players and not passengers.

I rate him from the small amount I've seen of him, but I don't see the point of giving a new contract unless we have evidence of him staying fit for longer than he has because we need players and not passengers.
There is a bigger picture here. Because of his age.. If Villa offer him a new deal and he rejects it and then signs for another club then Villa will get compensation for him. If we don't offer him a new contract and he signs for someone else we get nothing.

There is a bigger picture here. Because of his age.. If Villa offer him a new deal and he rejects it and then signs for another club then Villa will get compensation for him. If we don't offer him a new contract and he signs for someone else we get nothing.

The same is true of Callum Robinson...he has also been offered a new contract

The same is true of Callum Robinson...he has also been offered a new contract
It's slightly different because Robinson has a one year extension on his deal should the club want to use it. So if he turns down his deal, villa can just enforce the contract extension like WBA just have with Brunt and Dorrens. Gardner never had this in his contract.

It's slightly different because Robinson has a one year extension on his deal should the club want to use it. So if he turns down his deal, villa can just enforce the contract extension like WBA just have with Brunt and Dorrens. Gardner never had this in his contract.

From what i am aware of Callum Robinson is able to reject a deal but the Club he moves to (if any) will have to pay even more compo for his services,

From what i am aware of Callum Robinson is able to reject a deal but the Club he moves to (if any) will have to pay even more compo for his services,
Yes he can, and you are right on the compo thing but as I say there is an option to take up an extra year should Villa want to go down that route.