Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

avstu

Shay Given (2011-15)

AnneMc    265

Given's no spring chicken and as much as I'll always love him for his commitment to the Irish cause I was slightly concerned when he joined Villa for various reasons: he's a great shot stopper and has sound positional sense but his footwork lets him down and he is prone to making mistakes. I know many slated Given's overall command of his area last season but this is normally a strength of his so hopefully he'll have better control next season in a revitalised Villa line-up.

We definitely need a quality keeper waiting in the wings though as, sadly, we can't bank on our Shay staying fit for a full season at 36.

Loyalvillan    584

Rumours circulating of a bid for Given from QPR! dont think this will happen to be fair as we have juts let Guzan walk out the door and Given has never been one for Club hopping

Peever    238

Given still got 4 years left....... I imagine it would be a big buy out for QPR, so seems like paper trash

LaVillain    65

If rumors are correct and Q.P.R are willing to offer the reported 3 million, I personally think that would be good business.We would have got 12 months service and would re-coup the money we paid for him.

I don't think PL would have any problems attracting a top quality keeper and spotting talent when he see's it......John Ruddy springs to mind, nobody wanted Ruddy,PL took a chance...the rest is history.

I know he's not young, but he was probably our most consistent player last season, letting him go for 3mil when he has 4 years left would be ludicrous IMO. I'd love to get Butland and have Shay gradually more for number 1 keeper to number 2 over the next 3 or so seasons.

rogerstan    128

given has been solid for us in the past, yes he has made mistakes but has been our saviour overall. it would be silly to let him go for a mere 3 mill in my opinion, would be better to find another keeper and if he proves to be a better quality than given then keep given as a backup for at least this season, he deserves that much at least.

killer    18

apart from his fitness anyone else here really worried about the form of Given? He is at fault directly for goals in all 3 games in the Euro's so far.

I am hoping it is cos he is not fully fit, and with a preseason under his belt should be fine for the new prem season. worrying though.

in the past even when he was sitting on the bench he was always world class once he threw on an irish jersey. i would expect him to come full circle and be fine for new season, cos he has done it consistently for years but doesnt inspire you with confidence

LaVillain    65

He's a great shot stopper,but I think the edge is gone from his game, I have always been a critic of his lack of command of his area and this has become more evident at the EURO's. He seems afraid to come for crosses unless there is no striker within 5 yards. I find that very worrying,particularly as a keeper is the most protected player on the pitch.

After last season and his performances at the EURO's I think we should accept any offer of 3million. I agree he saved us on several occasions last season,but he was also responsible for a few howlers as well. If he is carrying an injury he should have dropped out of the final game when Eire had no chance of qualifying. I don't think he is injured,just that age is no longer on his side. Brad Friedel and a couple of others are exceptions to the rule, most keepers retire at 36-38. I think Shay isn't a Friedel type.

If you asked me 2 weeks ago I would have said no way, but after his terrible showing at the EUROs I'm starting to come around to the view that we could get someone younger and better. Would still be sad to see him leave as I do think he probably kept us in the league last season.

If you asked me 2 weeks ago I would have said no way, but after his terrible showing at the EUROs I'm starting to come around to the view that we could get someone younger and better. Would still be sad to see him leave as I do think he probably kept us in the league last season.

apart from his fitness anyone else here really worried about the form of Given? He is at fault directly for goals in all 3 games in the Euro's so far.

I am hoping it is cos he is not fully fit, and with a preseason under his belt should be fine for the new prem season. worrying though.

He does have Richard Dunne in front of him, so we should excuse him that lol.

Seriously though, he needs dominating defenders in front of him, because his main weakness is that he has never been a commanding keeper. Like others have said, he is a very good shot stopper and is till pretty quick across his line. Its just no good expecting him to be something he is not, so to compensate his weakness, we simply strengthen the defence with players that are better than we currently have.

Remember, a Keeper is only as good as the defenders in front of him, and i recall Petr Cezch making a couple of rickets during the championships, and i guess we would all see our mothers to sign him!

If your under pressure all the time, sooner or later something gives.

AnneMc    265

It's being reported on SSN that Given has announced his retirement from international football.

JustRich    97

It's being reported on SSN that Given has announced his retirement from international football.

All that running back and forth getting the ball out the net has finally took its toll!

Jarkko    11

Given´s statement from the Official Villa site was good one to read. Shay is Given all that he has to Villa. I´d like to think, that if he has voved to give it all to Villa, maybe we fans should give all we can to him, to lift Villa back where Villa belongs.

Surely he has couple of good years ahead of him with Villa, wait and see. If I´m wrong, so, I´m wrong. Think not.

Loyalvillan    584

Given´s statement from the Official Villa site was good one to read. Shay is Given all that he has to Villa. I´d like to think, that if he has voved to give it all to Villa, maybe we fans should give all we can to him, to lift Villa back where Villa belongs.

Surely he has couple of good years ahead of him with Villa, wait and see. If I´m wrong, so, I´m wrong. Think not.

As long as the threat of Guzan keeps him on his toes then i am happy!!

AnneMc    265

Agree. Why on earth would Liverpool let Reina go out on loan then bring in Given? Maybe Reina said he wouldn't be prepared to be Liverpool's second choice keeper but otherwise this makes no sense to me.