Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

avstu

Shay Given (2011-15)

Given_Guzan.jpg

Shay Given

Discuss Shay Given's Aston Villa career here.

Alex McLeish has reveled super shot stopper Shay Given is an injury worry as the new number 1 shot stopper hurt his groin during his match saving debut in Villas openind day draw at Fulham.

Given experienced pain in the latter stages of Saturdays scoreless draw following a series of vital saves and the 35 year old goal keeper was unable to take goal kicks.

Given who sustained the groin strain playing his first top flight match since April 2010 will be assessed by Villa's chief medical officer Dr Ian Mcguiness today.

Well this is what we feared when signing him, just got to hope that he only has a slight tightness and not an actual strain, suppose we will find out later. If we need anyone its Given, as he kept us in the game against Foolham.

Aston Villa are hopeful the groin strain suffered by Shay Given against Fulham over the weekend is not serious.

The former Manchester Cityspacer.gif shot-stopper was struggling towards the end of the goalless draw on his debut at Craven Cottage.

James Collinsspacer.gif took over goal-kicking duty as a precautionary measure and manager Alex McLeishspacer.gif is crossing his fingers on the injury.

Given will be assessed in the next 24 hours and McLeish is remaining hopeful the veteran keeper will not miss any playing time.

"Shay had a bit of a tight groin, that's why James took the goal-kicks. But we're hoping he's okay," he told the Express & Star.

"I need to wait and speak to the doctor but within 24 hours is normally the time to tell."

Wanted

Given played second fiddle to Joe Hartspacer.gif at City last season and the Republic of Irelandspacer.gif international has expressed his frustration at being forced to watch on from the sidelines.

"Last year was frustrating - it's probably well-documented and the word's overused at this stage," explained the keeper.

"But it's nice to be back and nice to feel wanted again and feel part of the team and be playing in front of big crowds again.

"In the run-up to the game, there was the excitement of the Premier League starting again and, for me personally, knowing I was going to be playing was pretty special.

"So it's great to be back and it's nice to start with a clean sheet with my new team."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11677_7102777,00.html

i wasn't worried about his shoulder, but he has had recurring groin injuries in the past-some pundits say it's since the bowel operation he had a few years back. This doesn't seem too serious tho at the moment. But they will have to be careful with this. He has played a few games for Ireland with an injection in the groin in the past. But this just masks the problem

Is anybody else concerned by the fitness of Shay Given?

It seems over the past few weeks that he has been picking up niggling injuries and Ireland are nursing him so he is OK for Euro 2012, but what about after?

Its no secret that hes knocking on so playing a summer of football with very little break before the EPL kick off - could this really hurt us next season?

Is anybody else concerned by the fitness of Shay Given?

It seems over the past few weeks that he has been picking up niggling injuries and Ireland are nursing him so he is OK for Euro 2012, but what about after?

Its no secret that hes knocking on so playing a summer of football with very little break before the EPL kick off - could this really hurt us next season?

This is where Given becomes an issue, injuries seem to limit him during the season, remeber his first few games when he could not take the free kicks?

I wish he had the fitness and resilience of Friedal

i am worried about shays fitness, i think he has been playing all season with a niggling little injury that time would help clear up.

Saying that i would not want to stop no man (or woman, Anne) representing their country especially in a major championship.

On the bright side Shay will only be playing 3 games then he can watch the knockout stages at home lol

i am worried about shays fitness, i think he has been playing all season with a niggling little injury that time would help clear up.

Saying that i would not want to stop no man (or woman, Anne) representing their country especially in a major championship.

On the bright side Shay will only be playing 3 games then he can watch the knockout stages at home lol

He'll have Joe Hart for company :)

This competition is massive for the Rep of Ireland so I would never expect him not to play.

This was my issue though when we signing him and I can only see it getting worse. He still has four years left on his contract and things will only get worse.