Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
avstu

Shay Given (2011-15)

77 posts in this topic

Given_Guzan.jpg

Shay Given

Discuss Shay Given's Aston Villa career here.

Alex McLeish has reveled super shot stopper Shay Given is an injury worry as the new number 1 shot stopper hurt his groin during his match saving debut in Villas openind day draw at Fulham.

Given experienced pain in the latter stages of Saturdays scoreless draw following a series of vital saves and the 35 year old goal keeper was unable to take goal kicks.

Given who sustained the groin strain playing his first top flight match since April 2010 will be assessed by Villa's chief medical officer Dr Ian Mcguiness today.

Well this is what we feared when signing him, just got to hope that he only has a slight tightness and not an actual strain, suppose we will find out later. If we need anyone its Given, as he kept us in the game against Foolham.

Suppose thats what happens when you don't play regulary. His body needs to readjust

Aston Villa are hopeful the groin strain suffered by Shay Given against Fulham over the weekend is not serious.

The former Manchester Cityspacer.gif shot-stopper was struggling towards the end of the goalless draw on his debut at Craven Cottage.

James Collinsspacer.gif took over goal-kicking duty as a precautionary measure and manager Alex McLeishspacer.gif is crossing his fingers on the injury.

Given will be assessed in the next 24 hours and McLeish is remaining hopeful the veteran keeper will not miss any playing time.

"Shay had a bit of a tight groin, that's why James took the goal-kicks. But we're hoping he's okay," he told the Express & Star.

"I need to wait and speak to the doctor but within 24 hours is normally the time to tell."

Wanted

Given played second fiddle to Joe Hartspacer.gif at City last season and the Republic of Irelandspacer.gif international has expressed his frustration at being forced to watch on from the sidelines.

"Last year was frustrating - it's probably well-documented and the word's overused at this stage," explained the keeper.

"But it's nice to be back and nice to feel wanted again and feel part of the team and be playing in front of big crowds again.

"In the run-up to the game, there was the excitement of the Premier League starting again and, for me personally, knowing I was going to be playing was pretty special.

"So it's great to be back and it's nice to start with a clean sheet with my new team."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11677_7102777,00.html

i wasn't worried about his shoulder, but he has had recurring groin injuries in the past-some pundits say it's since the bowel operation he had a few years back. This doesn't seem too serious tho at the moment. But they will have to be careful with this. He has played a few games for Ireland with an injection in the groin in the past. But this just masks the problem

Just what we need..... Fingers crossed he is better for the match!

Shay Given set to resume full training on Thursday and be fit for his home debut against Blackburn at Villa Park on Saturday]

From Mat Kendrick

Shay Given has been declared fit to play for Aston Villa against Blackburn.

Well that's good news for starters.

Great news need him for every game possible

Is anybody else concerned by the fitness of Shay Given?

It seems over the past few weeks that he has been picking up niggling injuries and Ireland are nursing him so he is OK for Euro 2012, but what about after?

Its no secret that hes knocking on so playing a summer of football with very little break before the EPL kick off - could this really hurt us next season?

Is anybody else concerned by the fitness of Shay Given?

It seems over the past few weeks that he has been picking up niggling injuries and Ireland are nursing him so he is OK for Euro 2012, but what about after?

Its no secret that hes knocking on so playing a summer of football with very little break before the EPL kick off - could this really hurt us next season?

This is where Given becomes an issue, injuries seem to limit him during the season, remeber his first few games when he could not take the free kicks?

I wish he had the fitness and resilience of Friedal

i am worried about shays fitness, i think he has been playing all season with a niggling little injury that time would help clear up.

Saying that i would not want to stop no man (or woman, Anne) representing their country especially in a major championship.

On the bright side Shay will only be playing 3 games then he can watch the knockout stages at home lol

i am worried about shays fitness, i think he has been playing all season with a niggling little injury that time would help clear up.

Saying that i would not want to stop no man (or woman, Anne) representing their country especially in a major championship.

On the bright side Shay will only be playing 3 games then he can watch the knockout stages at home lol

He'll have Joe Hart for company :)

This competition is massive for the Rep of Ireland so I would never expect him not to play.

This was my issue though when we signing him and I can only see it getting worse. He still has four years left on his contract and things will only get worse.

Given's no spring chicken and as much as I'll always love him for his commitment to the Irish cause I was slightly concerned when he joined Villa for various reasons: he's a great shot stopper and has sound positional sense but his footwork lets him down and he is prone to making mistakes. I know many slated Given's overall command of his area last season but this is normally a strength of his so hopefully he'll have better control next season in a revitalised Villa line-up.

We definitely need a quality keeper waiting in the wings though as, sadly, we can't bank on our Shay staying fit for a full season at 36.

Rumours circulating of a bid for Given from QPR! dont think this will happen to be fair as we have juts let Guzan walk out the door and Given has never been one for Club hopping

Given still got 4 years left....... I imagine it would be a big buy out for QPR, so seems like paper trash

If rumors are correct and Q.P.R are willing to offer the reported 3 million, I personally think that would be good business.We would have got 12 months service and would re-coup the money we paid for him.

I don't think PL would have any problems attracting a top quality keeper and spotting talent when he see's it......John Ruddy springs to mind, nobody wanted Ruddy,PL took a chance...the rest is history.

Won't lose sleep on losing Given, he's been okay all season but now and again he's been sloppy, with Robert Green being available and that.