Dimitri

Friday Night Tipple...

2,878 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, dorset lion said:

I think Gins the latest big thing in booze Anne, seems to be a never ending array of new Gins on the market, we have one distilled in Dorset now that is in just about every bar around here called Conker Gin....bit pricey though at about £35 a bottle, way to much for something I'm going to stick a mixer in but someone must be buying it.

Definitely enjoying a Renaissance, Dorset. I have always drunk gin but Bombay Sapphire was the height of excitement until relatively recently in most pubs.

That Liverpool gin is £48. I am loathe to pay that when you could get two decent bottles for that price. 

Portobello Road, for example, is a fantastic gin that you can buy for £25 in Tesco. Whitley Neil is usually slightly cheaper than that in Sainsbury's. 

Haven't tried Conker gin either. Will add it to my list. I know you're not a fan of Wetherspoon's but it's a great place to sample gins because they have a decent selection. Just make sure you pay the extra 20p for Fentiman's tonic because Britvic tonic is a mutant mess. 

16 minutes ago, AnneMc said:

Definitely enjoying a Renaissance, Dorset. I have always drunk gin but Bombay Sapphire was the height of excitement until relatively recently in most pubs.

That Liverpool gin is £48. I am loathe to pay that when you could get two decent bottles for that price. 

Portobello Road, for example, is a fantastic gin that you can buy for £25 in Tesco. Whitley Neil is usually slightly cheaper than that in Sainsbury's. 

Haven't tried Conker gin either. Will add it to my list. I know you're not a fan of Wetherspoon's but it's a great place to sample gins because they have a decent selection. Just make sure you pay the extra 20p for Fentiman's tonic because Britvic tonic is a mutant mess. 

I often get bored with beer so in the hot weather often enjoy a G&T at home, problem is it goes down so easily its not uncommon for me to drink the whole bottle on a nice summers afternoon in my garden, and 90% of the time that's the cheap store brand gin and the tonic water, occasionally I buy a bottle of Gordons but it doesn't taste much different.

Sounds like I need to educate my taste buds when it comes to gin and the tonics.

23 minutes ago, dorset lion said:

I often get bored with beer so in the hot weather often enjoy a G&T at home, problem is it goes down so easily its not uncommon for me to drink the whole bottle on a nice summers afternoon in my garden, and 90% of the time that's the cheap store brand gin and the tonic water, occasionally I buy a bottle of Gordons but it doesn't taste much different.

Sounds like I need to educate my taste buds when it comes to gin and the tonics.

It's a brave new world, Dorset. 

Fever Tree tonics are probably the best mass market ones available. I'd say a cheap gin really needs a decent tonic. The best tonic is Poacher's, although it's hard to get hold of. 

A fantastic mixer is Fentiman's rose lemonade. I am drinking it now with a craft Finnish gin. It's one of those things you couldn't drink lots of as it's sweet but one is superb. 

Ginger beer/ale goes well with certain gins, especially spiced ones, too. 

For future reference, Beefeater is a much better gin than Gordon's for the same price, as is Greenall's. I have only ever had Sainsbury's Taste the Difference own brand gin, which was passable.