FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Gareth Barry

The Aston Villan

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for that rule i never knew that but how does that work with 1 year contracts? I think that's one of the dumbest rules I've ver heard of. I mean whats the point in signing contracts if you can just buy your way out of them. It gives clubs no chance of holding onto their best players and it means the players have more power than the club thats paying them.... crazy.

I'm telling you guys--you may hate me talking about American sports (no one has ever commented) but that is one strength with those leagues--it is easier to hold onto your stars. There are many mechanisms in place to help small teams or cash-strapped teams keep the guys who keep them afloat. I wish UEFA, the FA or whatever would make a few of these changes. Also, I wish contracts were worth the paper on which they were written!

Personally i agree. If a player signs a contract then he should stick to it. I dont for one second think Barry will buy himself out. However, the option should not be there.

The club is hardly treating a player like a slave (sepp blatters words), considering how much the players are being paid, so if they dont think they will stay that long, dont sign a long term contract, its quite easy.

I'm telling you guys--you may hate me talking about American sports (no one has ever commented) but that is one strength with those leagues--it is easier to hold onto your stars. There are many mechanisms in place to help small teams or cash-strapped teams keep the guys who keep them afloat. I wish UEFA, the FA or whatever would make a few of these changes. Also, I wish contracts were worth the paper on which they were written!

To be honest I think most people have got used to football (football) being so corrupt and badly run that we don't even see the clubs that are being screwed over unless we're a supporter of them.

It's crap tbh

Rocksteady FC

GT: BigZombieMonkey

Listen up!!

Aston Villa are going to finish in the top four.

Gareth Barry will sign a four year deal to stay at Villa at the end of the season.

Everybody calm down, he isn't going anywhere!

Godzvilla

-----------

I've never met a Villa fan I didn't like.

I've never met a Scouser I did like

the way barry played against moscow we need to keep him at all costs

last night for me more then ever is saw the value of barry i have been to almost every game this season and for me if he wasnt in that side we would be lost, but not only him petrov they are the heart of our team if we fail to hold onto them both come summer i think we are going to have big problems!!

• 2 months later...
Barry admits he faces a tough decision over his Aston Villa future this summer.

The England international was the subject of constant speculation last summer after a protracted transfer saga involving Liverpool.

Barry ended up staying at Villa Park after the Reds failed to meet Villa's asking price for the midfielder.

Reds boss Rafa Benitez is reported to be ready to rekindle his interest in Barry this summer and the player insists there will no repeat of last year's saga, though he will take his time before deciding on his long-term future.

"From the experience of last year I'm hoping to deal with it better," Barry told the Birmingham Mail.

"It would be disrespectful to the fans and the club if I'm thinking about anything else rather than trying to get maximum points from the last four games - that's where my head is at this moment.

"It will definitely be a difficult decision, but we'll see where we are at the end of the season before making any decision. It's always going to be a tough one, no matter what happens.

"I've learnt a lot from what happened and last season I learned a lot off the pitch. I'm looking for a completely opposite scale of things and I'm confident it won't be one of those sagas again.

"There are things I'll do differently. I'm not dreading it at all, I know what's coming. It's not something you dread, it's part of the game."

Get well soon Petrov

Was not long reading this. Cant help but think some of him wants to stay at Villa Park.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

Its not just that. I think he knows if he moves clubs he could lose his international place that he has had to fight for. Moving to a club playing in bigger competitions doesnt always mean good things.

Capello has prooved he has not qualms about dropping anybody.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

Archived