FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Gareth Barry

The Aston Villan

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...
Manchester City are ready to launch a £14million summer bid for Liverpool target Gareth Barry from Aston Villa, with City manager Mark Hughes hoping to add some stability to the midfield at the Eastlands Stadium.

27-year-old Barry was the subject of a summer-long pursuit by the Reds last summer, with Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez desperate to pair Barry in the central midfield at the Merseyside club, with England team mate Steven Gerrard.

However, despite Benitez identifying Barry as his main transfer target, Villa turned down several offers from their Premier League rivals, with the Midlands club standing firm on their £18million valuation. Liverpool’s American co-owner’s refused to meet this valuation, much to the annoyance of the Spaniard, with Barry staying with the Villans.

Now reports claim that City, who are backed by the wealth of the ADUG, have put the Villa midfielder on a shortlist of targets for the summer, with a £14million bid being mooted.

Barry is out of contract in the summer of 2010 and if the England International refuses to put pen to paper on a new deal, Villa manager Martin O’Neill will be forced into reluctantly selling Barry, which is sure to spark fresh interest from Liverpool along with Arsenal, who were also linked with the midfielder last summer.

O’Neill, will be desperate to hold on to Barry, who has been at the Premiership club since 1997 and has made over 400 appearances for Villa. Especially as Stiliyan Petrov stated recently that keeping Barry at the club, would play a major part in the Bulgarian midfielder signing a new deal.

Cant really see it happening unless Villa fail in CL Quest or Barry wants a move for Money and No Euro Football

Yeah i would be shocked too. i feel hes just another of the long list of players who will be linked with Man City between now and the summer.

I think the only way Barry would leave VP would be if he was bettering himself imo.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

Can't see it happening Arsenal or Liverpool is much more realistic to happen .It would really disgust me if he moved to those blue scumbags .

"This is not possible. What McGrath is doing is just not possible with the amount of preparation that he's had."

I can see Liverpool portentially getting him but he'd be a fool to go to Man City.

That said I've lost alot of my faith in footballers and thier ability to make the right decisions and I wouldn't be surprised if he left.

Rocksteady FC

GT: BigZombieMonkey

Agree with ya you wouldn't know with todays footballers but once he doesn't take the backward step to manc city I don't mind .

CITY CITY CITY DIE DIE DIE couldn't help myself I hate them :P

"This is not possible. What McGrath is doing is just not possible with the amount of preparation that he's had."

Archived