FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

[Official] Stewart Downing Signs For Liverpool

Roary

I would still like to keep young but just get him 2 calm down a bit & just concentrate on playing football rather than falling over & moaning. 4-5-1 with Downing one side, Albrighton the other

& a focused young behind the striker would be what i went for (in a indeal world if we kept young)

if we dont someone like Krankjar <----(spelling?) behind Bent

Cuz we're the pride of Birmingham & we shall not be moved!!!

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh & let Downing take some of the free kicks as i said before. (although youngs against wigan was a good 1)

Hurry up & get him signed then! That way we can move onto the issues that need sorting

He aint going nowhere.

Him and Albrighton were in the live chat at avfc ealier.

Many asked him about his future, and he is loving it at Villa and said he's not going anywhere

Stewart Downing has revealed it is 'fantastic' that Aston Villa want him to stay at the club after talks started regarding a new contract.

Villa assistant manager Gary McAllister revealed last week that discussions have been opened to reward Downing with an extension.

The winger has two years remaining on his current deal at Villa Park and has been linked with a summer move to Premier League rivals Liverpool.

However, the England international has suggested he is happy at Villa and is pleased the club are prepared to offer him a new deal.

Downing told the Birmingham Mail: "I think there have been a couple of conversations already with my agent.

"I've already spoken to the manager who has said he'd like to keep me. I've still got two years left and they've come to me with an offer.

"For a player, that is brilliant because it gives you confidence they have faith in you and that they reward players if they do well.

"I'm enjoying my stay here. I've enjoyed it since the first day I came. It's a terrific football club. It's fantastic they want me."

Regarding speculation over his future, Downing said: "It's part and parcel of being a player and doing well.

"Ever since I was young I've read stories saying 'you're going here, you're going there'.

"Obviously if you have a good season you get linked, but I'm happy here."

Sky Sports

If only more players had his positive attitude.

Skysports.com understands that Aston Villa are prepared to make Stewart Downing the highest paid player at the club in order to keep him at Villa Park.

Downing has had an excellent campaign for Villa and has already been crowned their Player of the Year.

The England international is being strongly linked with a summer move, with Liverpool believed to be very keen on the former Middlesbrough winger.

However, Villa are already bracing themselves for the likely exit of Ashley Young and feel losing Downing as well would be too hard to take.

Now skysports.com understands that Villa are hoping Downing will be willing to remain, and with that they are ready to offer him fresh terms.

And Villa hope the prospect of a lucrative deal will convince Downing to sign at the club

Sky Sports

• 2 weeks later...

PLAYER of the season Stewart Downing has put his new contract talks with Villa on hold, insisting "I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment".

Downing gave out positive vibes about the prospect of him signing a bumper extension when he spoke at the club's annual awards dinner earlier this month.

But in an interview with a journalist in his native north east, the former Middlesbrough star suggests he is in no rush to put pen to paper on the lucrative four year deal.

Downing still has two years to run on the existing contract he signed when he arrived on crutches at Villa with a fractured foot two years ago.

And the claret and blues will not sell the 26-year-old favourite this summer after his impressive impact on the left and right wings for Gerard Houllier's men.

However, with Ashley Young set to leave during the close season, Downing's apparent hesitancy in pledging his future to Villa is a worrying development.

"I know the club are keen for me to extend my contract as I only have two years left on my deal and that my agent (Struan Marshall) had a recent meeting with our chief executive (Paul Faulkner)," said Downing.

"However, I am 26 and at a major crossroads in my career so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment."

Think we have heard things like this before! Has Mr Downing had his head turned as well? I seriously hope not, but it does seem strange that only a few weeks ago he was saying that he was happy at Villa and would be signing a new contract.

PLAYER of the season Stewart Downing has put his new contract talks with Villa on hold, insisting "I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment".

Downing gave out positive vibes about the prospect of him signing a bumper extension when he spoke at the club's annual awards dinner earlier this month.

But in an interview with a journalist in his native north east, the former Middlesbrough star suggests he is in no rush to put pen to paper on the lucrative four year deal.

Downing still has two years to run on the existing contract he signed when he arrived on crutches at Villa with a fractured foot two years ago.

And the claret and blues will not sell the 26-year-old favourite this summer after his impressive impact on the left and right wings for Gerard Houllier's men.

However, with Ashley Young set to leave during the close season, Downing's apparent hesitancy in pledging his future to Villa is a worrying development.

"I know the club are keen for me to extend my contract as I only have two years left on my deal and that my agent (Struan Marshall) had a recent meeting with our chief executive (Paul Faulkner)," said Downing.

"However, I am 26 and at a major crossroads in my career so I won't be committing to a new deal at the moment."

Think we have heard things like this before! Has Mr Downing had his head turned as well? I seriously hope not, but it does seem strange that only a few weeks ago he was saying that he was happy at Villa and would be signing a new contract.

This is why I don't get carried away with most football players, at the end of the day with all the money they are mercenaries. I think players like Albrighton who have a been brought through the youth setup and are fairly local have a strong connection with Villa and these players need to be looked after because I believe they will remain loyal.

990x360_exact-contentpage_990x36010.jpg

King_Crutchlow.png

Archived