FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

[Official] Stewart Downing Signs For Liverpool

Roary

I think losing Downing would be a major loss for us and would be a smack in the face to the owner.

I have accepted Young will leave, but they cant let downing go!

cant see em letting downing go. at least not this summer, we need him to much and the mamagement knows it.

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we lose Young then Albrighton is fully capable of stepping into that position, I really rate the lad he has it all!

Downing is not going anywhere, He stayed at Boro for years even though he could of got moves to Spurs and other places he isnt gonna stab us in the back he'll be here for the current length of the contract.

I think we need at least 4/5 players signing of Genuine quality then remove the dead wood and start bringing through more youth.

Bannan, Lichaj, Delfouneso, Weimann, Gardner, Baker, Clark need to be given more game time next season.

We need to sack off Beye/Warnock/Guzan/Salifou/Osbourne/Ireland/Pires and other leeches!

• 2 weeks later...
Aston Villa caretaker boss Gary McAllister has revealed that the club have started discussions with Stewart Downing in a bid to convince the winger to sign a new contract.

The former Middlesbrough star is understood to be a top summer target of Liverpool, but he still has two years remaining of the deal he signed when moving from The Riverside for £12million during the summer of 2009.

McAllister, who is in charge in the absence of Gerard Houllier, is aware of the need to ensure Downing remains at the club on a long-term basis, particularly with doubts hanging over the future of reported Manchester United target Ashley Young.

The Scot said: "Stewart has got two years left and we are getting into that area where it's coming into our vision.

"It's in progress at the moment. We are starting to make contact with his agent.

"We have to keep good players here."

McAllister admits he would vote for Downing as Villa's player of the year and believes he is capable of becoming an England regular.

The former Middlesbrough player impressed during the friendly international against Ghana at Wembley in March.

McAllister said: "Another wee target for Stewart is that he has always been in and around that England squad.

"The question is can he go and become a part of the team? I feel he has enough in his locker to do that."

Sky Sports

Well i hope we manage to keep him for the long term.

Fair play, but why have they been opened with him and not NRC?

Who Say's they haven't spoke to Coker ? From the impression i get he is doing the same as Young in that he will talk in the summer.

Who Say's they haven't spoke to Coker ? From the impression i get he is doing the same as Young in that he will talk in the summer.

Their seems to be some conflicting reports in the press regarding Reo's contract talks? but for me if he stays? Fine. If he goes? we can replace him quite easily!

My thoughts are he is playing so well at the moment for one reason, not Villa, but his new club and big signing on fee!

“Each smallest act of kindness, reverberates across great distances and spans of time --affecting lives unknown to the one who’s generous spirit, was the source of this good echo. Because kindness is passed on and grows each time it’s passed until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage, years later, and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.”

I think he will be looking for a big wage packet and he will get it being he is on a free but can't see him getting the money he would like at Villa.

I think he will be looking for a big wage packet and he will get it being he is on a free but can't see him getting the money he would like at Villa.

the question is Mate, is he worth a improved deal than his current 45 -50k per week deal PLUS a signing on fee?

Cus as he will be out of contract you can bet the rent he will demand a nice one off payment to resign!

“Each smallest act of kindness, reverberates across great distances and spans of time --affecting lives unknown to the one who’s generous spirit, was the source of this good echo. Because kindness is passed on and grows each time it’s passed until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage, years later, and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.”

the question is Mate, is he worth a improved deal than his current 45 -50k per week deal PLUS a signing on fee?

Cus as he will be out of contract you can bet the rent he will demand a nice one off payment to resign!

I like Reocokers tackling and work rate he is playing a lot better now he is getting regular football and to be honest i can't understand why he hasn't been playing every week during his Villa career as i feel he is a much better player than Petrov. But in my opinion no player is even worth what he is on now let alone 80-90k !

G Mac, said they will look to talk to him in a few weeks, that's how I know they haven't.

He is one of our best players. The signing on fee and wage demands will come with any player YET, they will also cost us a TRANSFER FEE.

As I mentioned before, giving him £10,000 a week more over the course of 4 years, is equivalent to us shelling out the same wage plus a £2 million transfer fee. Anyone of his calibre will cost us £50,000 upwards in todays climate. Personally, he should be, and should have been, first on our team sheet for the past 3 or 4 seasons (Or however long he's been at the club)

Archived