avstu

Ciaran Clark (2009-2016)

242 posts in this topic

Ciaran Clark

Discuss Ciaran Clark's Aston Villa career here.

Clark has been a revelation this season with some of his performances and his versatility, but are we expecting too much and overlooking some key points about his game because he is a product of our Academy (one of our own) and still a "kid"?

My main grumble with Clark is that when he is played at LB(which seems to be most of the time at the moment) he is so easily beaten and passed, either through pace or guile on the side of the opposing player!!

This has been evident since the Carling cup game against SHA, Bentley beat Clark every single time he took him on and as the game progressed and SHA realized that it was working they just did it more!! and it is becoming a real weak link in the back line imo!

Don't get me wrong Clark is a real exciting prospect, but at this stage he is still only a prospect and although he has got 4 goals this season (mainly down to his physical presence and strength), has this clouded our judgement somewhat? Clark seems to be more effective at CB or CM than LB and i cant help but think that sticking him at LB and facing some of the worlds most lethal wingers in the EPL could harm his progress!

I have been thinking if this due to our current situation and how bright the future can be with our unbelievable young talent knocking on the door of the first team!!

I think most of us, although enjoying what he has done at LB realize and will admit he belongs at CB or CM. He has "done the job" at LB as he is better option then Warnock in my opinion. But he IS being wasted out there. It seems more and more as games go on he is getting more and more aggresive and makin rash tackles that is putting him on the edge of a sending off.

TBH you're not going to learn unless you fail once or twice. Yes, he's not an Ashley Cole or Patrice Evra but he's still a prospect as you said and with the game time and invaluable experience at his age he can be as good as them within 5 years if he puts his head down. Don't forget he's been fairly solid at the back most matches

I agree with you Loyal that he does look shaky at LB but he is the best option we have. I dont think he will ever be a quality LB but the only reason he is good at LB is because he Villa through and through, he can play anywhere because he has the passion and the desire, but clearly he would relish in the CB role like he has done in the past

The biggest strenght of his game is his defensive vision, when he can see the game in front of him he always moves to make the interception or right tackle, playing at left back limits that natural vision because opposition teams can take the game outside of him, but he can only learn by playing there & im sure he will fulfill the promise that we all see in him

He does look shaky at left back but when played in other positions has looked very calm and strong he also has great determination as i recall watching a game on television where someone tackled him and they both went down and he was first up still looking to play the ball and not looking for the foul. When is Baker back i felt apart from getting sent off he had a great game at left back.

Maybe it's a good sign that we expect so much so early? Shows how good he is already and it's a measure of his ability.

I think most of us, although enjoying what he has done at LB realize and will admit he belongs at CB or CM. He has "done the job" at LB as he is better option then Warnock in my opinion. But he IS being wasted out there. It seems more and more as games go on he is getting more and more aggresive and makin rash tackles that is putting him on the edge of a sending off.

agree fully with you peever,as you say the lad seems to be getting increasingly frustrated and aggressive the more games he plays at LB,and lets face it he has some real good "wingers" bearing down on him,

he has pride n passion and hates being beaten which is to his credit--but can also lead to his downfall by making some real rash tackles and lunges,imo if he keeps playing at LB he stands a real good chance of being the next one of our Boyz to have an early bath!!

Nathan Baker, i think has 1 more game to miss,when available again i would prefer to see him at LB,---BUT would hate to see Clark "benched"---no no way----i,d put him in at either CB, or indeed CM, in these positions he has put in some admirable displays,and is where he is more suited,

The biggest strenght of his game is his defensive vision, when he can see the game in front of him he always moves to make the interception or right tackle, playing at left back limits that natural vision because opposition teams can take the game outside of him, but he can only learn by playing there & im sure he will fulfill the promise that we all see in him

ANd there is the truth of the matter.

i think the good points made about clark are just that, to me his biggest problem is, he tries to hang onto the ball to long and gets done by more experienced players and needs to learn to get rid of it a bit quicker.other than that given time and he will make a quality player.

Glad he decided to join the Green Army. Future captian for Club and Country if he stays long enough with us.

Glad he decided to join the Green Army. Future captian for Club and Country if he stays long enough with us.

Yes that was a good move for him in my opinion as he gets first team football for Ireland which is valuable match experience for him at this early stage in his career.

Any chance someone can change the his name there is no e at the end of Clark :P

Any chance someone can change the his name there is no e at the end of Clark :P

and there should be no the in your sentence, anyone can make a typing error cant they?

why has ciaran clark not been playing when he is one of r best young players i like it wen he playes. there is somfin about him when he plays we look very good i think we should be plying him :)

go ciizza clark

I could have sworn I read somewhere that he had picked up a knock recently?

yh i think i ave seen tht as well but wen he is fit he still dont get in wtf wiv tht

I seem to recall it was going to be a while before he was back. I need to find the article again....

bannon did i believe have a foot injury? i think he is now back in light training but it maybe a week or 2 before he will be fully fit.

i like this boy there,s a fierceness about his game,---get him match fit Big Eck and get him donning the Claret and Blue again as soon as possible!!!--be it CB,LB RB, sitting in front of the back four, or scrapping it out in midfield in fact anywhere but in goal and up front!!!

Delph could use a rest--the times he gives the ball away-- this could be a crucial factor against Citeh---Ciaran get them boots polished lad----

Well this kid now seems to be disappearing off the face of the planet, what must he be thinking, we can't defend for toffee, CB's are awful, a leftback who's brain dead and this kid still can't get a sniff of a game. We were crying out for someone who could pass the ball out of defence last night, instead of the hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooof it up the field. Surely now AM must change that back four, it is not good enough, or else I think he could be off, he must be well peeeeed off....

Oh I forgot, Enda Stevens is obviously going to be our saviour....

I just dont get it Carrzee. How Clark cant get a sniff amoungest what we saw last night baffles me! He must be given a shot in the next match....if not I dont know what AM is doing....

he has looked like a real prospect when played and while i don't expect miracles from the kid he can't be any worse than those playing. The only one of the youngsters to get a fair go so far is delph, and although he was disapointing surely a few others deserve the same chance.

He cant be any worse than our so called defence so give him a chance am