Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Peever

Barry Bannan (2008-13)

129 posts in this topic

Brazil have called striker Leandro Damiao into their squad to face Scotland in a friendly at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday amid doubts regarding the fitness of Alexandre Pato and Nilmar.

AC Milan striker Pato has a sprained ankle, while Villarreal forward Nilmar has a muscle problem and both are being assessed by the team doctor.

The pair are still due to report with the squad on Thursday in London, but Internacional's Leandro Damiao, 21, has been drafted in as cover.

Meanwhile, 21-year-old Barry Bannan admits he has not stopped dreaming about the prospect of facing Brazil since the moment Scotland's friendly was confirmed.

The glamorous fixture was rubber-stamped by the Scottish Football Association in February and it will be Scotland's first meeting with Brazil since the World Cup opener in 1998.

Little niggle

Aston Villa midfielder Bannan, who is currently on loan at Leeds, said: "I had an injury on Friday, a little niggle, and my dad didn't know whether he wanted me to play on Saturday and save myself for the game against Brazil.

"As soon as the Brazil game was announced I was hoping I'd be in the squad and hopefully on the pitch and even start.

"I've been thinking about it since it was announced so I'm looking forward to it. Everyone is going to be up for the game.

"As soon as the fixture was announced I think everyone just couldn't wait for it to come around. Now that it's come around everyone is looking forward to it."

Source:Sky Sports

Named in the starting line up for Scotland tonight.

Playing on the left in a midfield four.

Just flicked over to the Scotland game as it's half time for England.

Just catching the last 10 of their first half and Bannan has been brilliant. Great touch and delivery pin point. Seen him set up about 4 shooting opportunities already.

Only Lithuania but he's looking a real talent.

Man of the match for Young Bannan!! he has almost banished my fears about his size and strength!! He could become the next big thing for us!! lets sign him to a 10 yr contract now!

maybe will put in a wee cheeky bid he's a good tim so hel come in a heartbeat lol i never seen the scotland game but guys at my work were saying he had a good game aswell

Just been on the twitter and a couple of fans are having a write old moan about Barry trying killer balls but this is the way he plays Barry i think Barry is to good for us he would slot perfectley into arsenal.

If bannan didint play that terrific ball into gabby which safely went out for a throw who else in villa gona play that ball everyone moans about him not playing simple but bannan is one of the players who want to send villa forward and he's onley young.

I guess I'm trying to say get off his back and get behind him becaus we need to

Just been on the twitter and a couple of fans are having a write old moan about Barry trying killer balls but this is the way he plays Barry i think Barry is to good for us he would slot perfectley into arsenal.

If bannan didint play that terrific ball into gabby which safely went out for a throw who else in villa gona play that ball everyone moans about him not playing simple but bannan is one of the players who want to send villa forward and he's onley young.

I guess I'm trying to say get off his back and get behind him becaus we need to

I agree, he tries to read players runs and he's just getting used to the senior squad. If we can put players around him who can play off his style I.e Samir Carruthers and Daniel Johnson then we'll start to see some great attacking play. I think many fans are so used to the big hoof every time a Villa player touches the ball that they'll slam a young player for attempting the more difficult accurate long pass rather than praise him for it.

Put some like-minded players around him, as we have seen with Ireland, and we'll get some much better attacking play. He's part of our bright future I'm certain of it.

Whenever we manage to make 5 succesful passes in a row, he and Ireland are ALWAYS involved.

How many hollywood passes did he try against Stoke? About 3? One of them was probably our clearest goal chance.

Who cares if he misses a few of them.

And he and Ireland are the only ones who create goal chances out of nothing. I want both of their asses on the pitch, every game.

And he and Ireland are the only ones who create goal chances out of nothing. I want both of their asses on the pitch, every game.

agree with you there

Just watched an interview with Barry from the fans meeting in Chicago. When asked about preparations for the season he made one comment I thought was interesting...

"Playing alot better football and keeping the ball, where as last season we didn't do that"

This is make or break season for bannan IMO.

He has the potential but he needs to prove his worth.

I don't rate Bannan that highly tbh some people are always banging on about him but I can't see what is so speical about him. Hopefully he makes me eat my words this season

I have always rated him highly, his vision and passing range are superb. He needs to improve in his decision making, but that will only come with games.

I trust that PL will turn him into an established player.

I've always been a big fan of little Bannan's and it's been great to see him in fine form during the pre-season games. Okay, so the opposition hasn't been the most challenging but if he can sustain that form into the new season he'll do well. Lambert's playing him in a more natural position and it shows. He's made some amazing passes but is also reading the space better and doing what needs to be done to keep possession. It's been brilliant to see him winning balls back too as the MLS, whatever the criticisms of it, is definitely very physical and full of strapping big blokes and Bannan's never looked uncomfortable.

Come on, Bannan!

Nice to see him finding some good form. watched quite a lot of the AVTV games over the last 2 years and when he plays in the youths, he controls the games.

lets hope he steps it up this season for the first team. i can see him becoming a regular with KEA and Ireland becoming a midfield 3. with wide men either side and bent up front.

Of all players to attempt 50+ crosses when starting in wide positions last season, Barry Bannan had the best accuracy across Europe (41.2%) -- Martin Laurence (@martinlaurence7)

Of all players to attempt 50+ crosses when starting in wide positions last season, Barry Bannan had the best accuracy across Europe (41.2%) -- Martin Laurence (@martinlaurence7)

Probably because most teams played it along the floor

Probably because most teams played it along the floor

It's on about crosses though not passes lol