FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Gerard Houllier appointed Villa manager

tinker72

give him a chance, if it don't go well then fine have his head on a stick. I might even dislike him in due time if he is crap however until he's given a chance i'll back him.

3188055002_02c9077637holte.jpg

Aston Villa Football Club EST. 1874

The Bells Are Ringing

• Replies 724
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0,,10265~9032510,00.jpg

The Club is pleased to confirm that it has secured the appointment of Gerard Houllier as manager.

Mr. Houllier has been technical director of French football, a position he previously held when instrumental in France winning the World Cup in 1998.

He is a former manager of Lens, Paris St Germain, Liverpool and Lyon and has won three French championships and a unique treble in the League Cup, FA Cup and Uefa Cup in 2001 with Liverpool.

One of the key architects of Clairefontaine, the French national association football centre regarded as one of the finest football academies in the world, his wealth of experience in all aspects of the game and his stature and reputation internationally made him an excellent choice to manage Aston Villa.

"Two of the key qualities which we identified as being of crucial importance in our search for the new manager were experience of managing in the Premier League and a strategy for building on the existing strengths in our current squad, and Gerard Houllier comfortably satisfies these criteria," said Paul Faulkner, chief executive of Aston Villa Football Club.

"In fact, he stands out as a football man who understands the ethos of our Club and shares our core values.

"We look forward to working with Gerard and supporting him and we ask our supporters to get behind the new manager and the team as we look to build on the progress we have made over the past four years in all areas of the Club."

Gerard Houllier said: "I am very happy and proud to join this great and historic club.

"It was a very difficult decision for me to leave the FFF [French Football Federation] but I could not turn down the opportunity to manage a club whose approach, both on and off the pitch, I have long admired.

"Aston Villa is one of England's biggest clubs and has an amazing set of fans. This is a tremendous challenge and one I am very much looking forward to taking on."

The Club will confirm details of a press conference to follow in due course.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

• 5 months later...

I thought i would bring this topic back to life so we could all see the embarrasing things we wrote when we first signed him as our manager! :lol: I'm sure alot of opinions have changed now :lol:

My view is this, good points are that he is trying to change the way we play and play more football, but then most managers would do this anyway, played kids but really only because of injuries.

Negative points, just about everything since he took over, fell out with everybody, liverpool, tosspot Ireland, fell out again with others, lost to Blues in cup, City farce and fans leaving in their droves..

So please Mr Numty just please keep us up this year, thats all I ask, you may of known what you were doing a few years ago but now it looks like Mr Magoooo could do a better job. I shall back you and the team till the end of the year because any negative reaction during games could well upset the team and we just can't afford this right now.

Then I hope you will leave gracefully and Martin Jol takes over.

newcomer10.jpg

Archived