FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Stephen Ireland signs for Villa

lukedaw

Im sure McDonald will give him a certain amount of freedom to roam forward and the fact that McDonald worked with him when he still played for his country can only be good .

"This is not possible. What McGrath is doing is just not possible with the amount of preparation that he's had."

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing what you miss in 12 or so hours to go to bed :P. 610 posts on 41 pages

But it's nice to finally know the whole ordeal is over. Hopefully Ireland can bring what Milner brought to the team and more

// AVillaFan 2009/10 FA Cup Winner

// AVillaFan 2010 Community Shield Winner

// AVillaFan 2010 World Cup 3rd Place Winner

cyhsxhp9k772s84ge2s.png

Charityshield.png

Ireland ready to shine in claret and blue

Stephen Ireland is ready to shine for Villa after vowing to impress his new team-mates and supporters.

The Irish midfielder, who could make his Villa debut against Newcastle this Sunday on his 24th birthday, underwent a medical last night [Tuesday] before completing a move from Manchester City today.

Although tomorrow night's Europa League trip to Rapid Vienna has come too soon for Ireland, he cannot wait to get down to work with the Villa squad.

"For me, my number one target is to work hard for my team-mates, show them what I can bring to the table, show them they can rely on me and that I am going to work hard for them week in, week out," he said.

"When I get my chance to get on the ball, hopefully I'll shine as well.

"I am really excited. I have only been here a day but I know what it is about already.

"It is a family club, I've seen a lot of happy faces here and a lot of friendly faces, so I am really excited for the future here.

"I am looking forward to building up a relationship with the fans and my new team-mates. It is exciting for me to have a new challenge, move here and get settled."

Ireland, who made more than 100 appearances in five years at City, is excited by the potential of Villa's squad.

His first priority is to establish himself in the team after finding opportunities limited at Eastlands last season.

But he hopes to experience successful times at Villa Park and has vowed to help his new club try build on three consecutive sixth-place finishes.

"I have plenty of personal ambitions," said the midfield ace. "I want to get back to playing the way I can - I haven't played 90 minutes in nearly eight or nine months, which isn't normal really for me.

"I've kind of forgotten the feeling what it is like to come off after a game feeling tired, winning or losing. I'm not used to sitting out for so long.

"So for me, I want to get back to playing at the top of my game and I want to work hard for my team-mates.

"I want to see if my team-mates and myself can push on and achieve something massive this season.

"Hopefully I can come here and build on that and help Aston Villa push on to better targets and reach higher goals. Hopefully I can be of benefit to the team.

"I think we have got a good bunch of young lads here who can go on and achieve something for themselves and for the club as well. We've got a very good squad."

Ireland reckons he can bring goals to the table as well as his creative talents.

He was prolific for Man City in the 2008-09 season, scoring 13 goals on his way to winning the club's Player of the Year award.

"My main attributes really are breaking from deep counter-attacking quite fast as the ball is building up, whether you are running with or without the ball," he added.

"I've kind of got a good eye for goal as well - I pop up at the right place at the right time."

Ireland was known as Superman at Manchester City - and even had the trunks to prove it.

After scoring against Sunderland for the Sky Blues in 2007, he sported a pair of the super hero's shorts in front of the celebrating supporters.

Asked if it is a sight Villa fans can look forward to, Ireland said: "If the right occasion comes the fans can have something to smile about as well!"

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10265~2126906,00.html

// AVillaFan 2009/10 FA Cup Winner

// AVillaFan 2010 Community Shield Winner

// AVillaFan 2010 World Cup 3rd Place Winner

cyhsxhp9k772s84ge2s.png

Charityshield.png

Some interesting stats.

Some interesting stats.

Despite playing 17 fewer games, Ireland has scored more goals (11) in the Premier League over the last two seasons than Milner (10).

The former Manchester City man has also been more clinical in front of goal, converting 16% of his efforts to Milner’s 12%.

In the same period, Ireland has created a 1.8 goalscoring chances per 90 minutes of football compared to 1.7 for Milner.

Additionally, the Republic of Ireland international has completed 77% of his passes, a much higher proportion than his England counterpart (70%).

These stats have been copied and pasted from another site.

i believe the number of goals scored is 11 each and not 10/11

you are right with that, as the goal that JM scored last weekend was not counted in this.

Also, if you think of how much Ireland hasn't played, his stats do come up better.

Well we will soon see if he is going to be an equally good player at Villa.

ive always thought ireland a more prolific goal scorer and also more skillfull. but as you say time will tell. and ireland will have to go some to keep his name tag, (superman)

saying that millner was/is a great player and i wish him a bright future at the wharehouse he has gone to work at.

the way i look at this deal when comparing the 2 players is, if we go back 2 years or especially last summer and we was offered the chance to sign either player, Ireland would have been most peoples pick without doubt, i have always liked ireland as a footballer, but as a man i do question him at some things - thats mainly my irish side coming through.

anyway, whats changed? has milner got better? maybe, or we have just shown people what player he really is, Ireland on the other hand, has he got worse? i doubt it, he just hasnt played... my point being that 2 years ago, what manager in there right mind would swap 16m and ireland for milner? even eriksson wasnt that stupid... now this deal is done im glad its out the way, gutted to be losing a player like milner, but we've had a long time to think about life after him as this was always the likely outcome, Ireland is a player 2 seasons ago ran man cities midfield and fans on here was calling for him to be signed as he dropped down cities pecking order.

The deal suits everyone imo.

PREDICTIONLEAGUE.gif

XBOX Gamertag : VillAlMiGhtY

Once Ireland settles in he will be quality for us...and I am sure Dunne will shoe him up the arse if he acts like a t**t..lol...and I would love him to come back into the Ireland fold...and help us get to the Euro Finals. Been too long since the Green Army have being in a Major Championship....!

Maybe if Ireland has the season of his life and |Milner has a poor one we could sell Ireland back to Citeh for 18 million and Milner?? nice little earner!! :thumbsup:

“Each smallest act of kindness, reverberates across great distances and spans of time --affecting lives unknown to the one who’s generous spirit, was the source of this good echo. Because kindness is passed on and grows each time it’s passed until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage, years later, and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.”

Archived