FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Stephen Ireland signs for Villa

lukedaw

James Milner's future at Aston Villa will be decided after the World Cup - and is set to hinge on whether boss Martin O'Neill stays.

England midfielder Milner, 24, has been named PFA Young Player of the Year after an outstanding season.

And his 12 goals and energetic displays this term have made him a summer target for mega-rich Manchester City. Milner and O'Neill have agreed to leave talks on a new contract until after the World Cup but, by July, O'Neill may no longer be manager of Villa after admitting he will review his future this summer.

O'Neill has a good relationship with Milner and was on hand to witness the ace pick up his PFA award on Sunday night.

Milner has two years left on his £45,000-a-week contract at Villa Park after joining from Newcastle in August 2008 for £12million.

Should Villa make the top four and O'Neill stay, Milner is likely to pen a lucrative new deal at the club to become Villa's top earner on at least £70,000-a-week.

But if O'Neill leaves and Villa decide to cut costs as predicted, Milner could well follow the Ulsterman out of the club.

Milner played under several managers at Newcastle so a change at the top would be nothing new to him. But if O'Neill quits City will try to prise Milner away.

Manchester United are also believed to be monitoring Milner closely but know they would lose if they get drawn into a bidding war with City.

Eastlands football administrator Brian Marwood, who used to work for Milner's sponsor Nike, also knows the star's representatives well which could also aid negotiations.

if he goes we wont finish in the top 8
Get well soon Petrov
  • Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People said we had no chance when G Barry went...no player regardless of who he is is bigger then the club. On saying that I would not like to lose him but I imagine that if he went it would be for minimum double what we paid for him.

losing milner will be much worse than when we lost barry, simple reason for that is 12 goals and 15 assists... i dont think barry ever produced stats like that even in his most preductive season? and has done little at city.

Milner is one of the hardest working players in the league and he has ability to match it, if he was in the middle from day 1 of the season he would be up there with lampard on the scoring charts, its ok saying we can sell him for twice or even 3x what we payed... but who would we get that can offer anything even close to what he brings to the team?

PREDICTIONLEAGUE.gif

XBOX Gamertag : VillAlMiGhtY

Milner leaving would be a disaster .

It would also probably mean O'Neill leaving and I would have to seriously question what direction the club is heading .

I don't really want to think about it and the timing of these rumours is unhelpful and questionable to say the least .

I have confidence he will be a Villa player next season though .

"This is not possible. What McGrath is doing is just not possible with the amount of preparation that he's had."

it would be a disaster imo because of his work ethic and stats, he' a great player and without him we could very well struggle, good point though in the fact that we all said this when barry left but we have still had an amazing season!

i hope he remains at the villa though

3188055002_02c9077637holte.jpg

Aston Villa Football Club EST. 1874

The Bells Are Ringing

Milner leaving would be a disaster .

It would also probably mean O'Neill leaving and I would have to seriously question what direction the club is heading .

I don't really want to think about it and the timing of these rumours is unhelpful and questionable to say the least .

I have confidence he will be a Villa player next season though .

agree with you 101% Dublin lad,

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

Milner is a bright lad with an even brighter future and i think that come the start of the season he will still be at VP, that is if MON stays aswell.

MON's influence and standing in the teams eyes should not be underestimated and the key to milner staying will be if MON does!!!

“Each smallest act of kindness, reverberates across great distances and spans of time --affecting lives unknown to the one who’s generous spirit, was the source of this good echo. Because kindness is passed on and grows each time it’s passed until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage, years later, and far away. Likewise, each small meanness, each expression of hatred, each act of evil.”

TBH there's a chance he will leave but I doubt he will. He loves it at Villa, no question about it. He won PFA Young Player of the Year here and if he thinks about it if he goes to bigger club like Chelsea or Man U it will hinder his future as he will sit on the bench most of the time. I'm fairly confident he'll stay much like Ash Young last season

// AVillaFan 2009/10 FA Cup Winner

// AVillaFan 2010 Community Shield Winner

// AVillaFan 2010 World Cup 3rd Place Winner

cyhsxhp9k772s84ge2s.png

Charityshield.png

Milner is a crackin player and we would miss him like mad theres no doubt about that, but with the money problems at villa right now the money we could get for him could buy 2-3 crackin players which would soften the blow. Everybody needs to remember football isnt how it used to be when the players played for the badge (in the 70-80s). If man city want Milner they will offer him ridiculous money which only a fool would decline. So people need to keep that in mind but fingers crossed he will sign a contract with MON.

Archived