Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

avstu

Fabian Delph (2009-15)

I think he was one of our best performers in the tail-end of last season and formed a pretty damn good midfield trio with Sylla and Westwood, they absolutely bossed Chelsea. But he has two years left on his contract and is on, I'd assume, ~£30,000pw which is enough for now?

chelsea had played 5 games in somethin like 12 days at the end of the season, i actually had money on us to win purely for that reason, we were fresh, they werent.

i wouldnt use that game as an example of how good our players are. chelsea fresh miight of given us another hammering

lukedaw    80

From February last season he has got better in every game he played but he was very good last night! Can see him improving even more!

AnneMc    265

From February last season he has got better in every game he played but he was very good last night! Can see him improving even more!

We can all see the improvement in Delph. However, I am yet to be totally convinced by him. He runs like mad but his passing is shocking, although at least now he's trying to play the ball up the pitch more often than sideways or backwards. He still gives the ball away too often and is always liable to concede a free kick in a dangerous position after a dodgy tackle.

He was my MOTM last night for sheer effort but am not feeling all the love for Delph just yet.

B6!    631
We can all see the improvement in Delph. However, I am yet to be totally convinced by him. He runs like mad but his passing is shocking, although at least now he's trying to play the ball up the pitch more often than sideways or backwards. He still gives the ball away too often and is always liable to concede a free kick in a dangerous position after a dodgy tackle. He was my MOTM last night for sheer effort but am not feeling all the love for Delph just yet.
Anne you are harsh lol, For me he played well against Arsenal and again last night, if he keeps playing with that amount of effort and enthusiasm he will get an England call up, unfortunately !

AnneMc    265

Anne you are harsh lol, For me he played well against Arsenal and again last night, if he keeps playing with that amount of effort and enthusiasm he will get an England call up, unfortunately !

Yes, he's improved. He'd a good second half last night and from what I saw he made a nuisance of himself against Arsenal but he's not the midfield messiah some Villa fans are hyping him up to be at the minute.

Wanging in disinterested tools from big clubs isn't working for Roy and maybe Lambert's debut will give him food for thought. Can't see Delph in the England squad myself but happy for him to improve further and earn that place.

Yes, he's improved. He'd a good second half last night and from what I saw he made a nuisance of himself against Arsenal but he's not the midfield messiah some Villa fans are hyping him up to be at the minute.

Wanging in disinterested tools from big clubs isn't working for Roy and maybe Lambert's debut will give him food for thought. Can't see Delph in the England squad myself but happy for him to improve further and earn that place.

I know how you feel with this...whilst everyone was falling in love with Sylla i was still thinking differently.

Delph has certainly improved and put in a great deal of effort, as has KEA. At the moment it is hard to drop either in place of Sylla.

Rawly1966    167
Yes, he's improved. He'd a good second half last night and from what I saw he made a nuisance of himself against Arsenal but he's not the midfield messiah some Villa fans are hyping him up to be at the minute. Wanging in disinterested tools from big clubs isn't working for Roy and maybe Lambert's debut will give him food for thought. Can't see Delph in the England squad myself but happy for him to improve further and earn that place.
More than just a nuisance at arsenal Anne ,, and I'm one who slated him last season

Jayemdubbya    175

More than just a nuisance at arsenal Anne ,, and I'm one who slated him last season

I slated him too.

He was an absolute menace to both Chelsea and Arsenal. Similar to Guzan he was pretty much written off by 3 previous managers, including the one who bought him. Credit to Lambert for seeing his potential and having faith in him, because he was not very good early on last season.

For all those who say Lambert only wants his own guys, and any other excuse made for those in the bomb squad, Delph proves otherwise. Not a Lambert buy, and not a Villa youth system product, yet he is currently cementing his spot in our midfield.

Maca-AVFC    7

always liked Delph even tho some of his tackles are shocking he never pulls out and i expect him to bag a few goals this year i say delph for 6 goals this season

Rawly1966    167

Fully sold ?. What doe he have to do to get fully sold status ?

AnneMc    265

For me, he needs to improve his passing, do something when he runs and stop giving away needless free kicks in dangerous positions.

Ave    33

Apparently, outplaying Juan Mata, Oscar, Frank Lampard, Ramires, Jack Wilshere, and Aaron Ramsey all in one week really isn't enough.....on top of his solid season last year.

Anne, his runs are amazing but I agree some better passing would really be useful especially in the final third.

Before the season started I thought Delph would struggle to play week in week out over Westwood, Sylla, Gardner and Bacuna. But after this week i think he should be the first midfielder on the team sheet every week. He has been very unlucky with injury over the past few seasons but we are finally starting to see what a player he can be. Big season for Delph if he stays fit.

ak47deol    177

Delph has been great for us for about 5-6 months however he still needs to improve, he needs to add goals to his game and also become more composed on the ball when passing. IOf he does this we would have a very very good player on our hands

Loyalvillan    584

Why are we not offering Delph an extension after his quite frankly immense improvement late on?? or is this on the cards?

i think this question needs to be asked again! Delph is i understand int he last 12/18 months of his contract?? i think the fact MON signed him means his wages could be an issue but he could grow into the player we all thought we bought from leeds when he showed so much promise...that is if he can stay injury free that is! it has hindered his development awfully