avstu

Brad Guzan (2008-2016)

263 posts in this topic

The big guy was excellent today. Those saves at the end of the match were class. With Howard aging very quickly, I really hope Klinsmann gives Guzan the #1 spot for the US squad as well. Haven't even qualified for the WC yet and at this rate, Howard will be a massive liability for the WC.

Great to see that Brad didn't let all those goals over the last two months break him. Many GK's would crumble after experiencing what Guzan has.

Still think he needs to work on commanding his area but was excellent bar one flap today

The big guy was excellent today. Those saves at the end of the match were class. With Howard aging very quickly, I really hope Klinsmann gives Guzan the #1 spot for the US squad as well. Haven't even qualified for the WC yet and at this rate, Howard will be a massive liability for the WC. Great to see that Brad didn't let all those goals over the last two months break him. Many GK's would crumble after experiencing what Guzan has.
Just come and collect balls into box more Brad !!!! This is your only negative ,,,please command your box

guzan would be alot better if he gave the defence a shout for example when he come outy and clark heade it over and when he ran of his line and more or lesss punched baker

Had my doubts about Guzan but he has deffenitly proved himself worthy of the #1 - he should be more vocal, he usually screams at the defense after we concede, but doesn't do much shouting before when commanding his box. Also id like to see him get down for the low crosses just in front of the 6 yard box.

Had my doubts about Guzan but he has deffenitly proved himself worthy of the #1 - he should be more vocal, he usually screams at the defense after we concede, but doesn't do much shouting before when commanding his box. Also id like to see him get down for the low crosses just in front of the 6 yard box.
With all those points for improvement should he be number 1 lol ?

With all those points for improvement should he be number 1 lol ?
He is the best we have at the moment ,,, my question would be whether givens experience could be vital ? It was last season .

He is the best we have at the moment ,,, my question would be whether givens experience could be vital ? It was last season .
I was taking the p*ss, lol

I was taking the p*ss, lol
I wasn't lol ...

Guzan been our best player this season, could be needed tonight to make a few saves!

Guzan been our best player this season, could be needed tonight to make a few saves!

Would not say he has been the best but overall a very good No1 debut season for him

its interesting reading old posts how many people on this one would retract there comments now guzan IMO (if we stay up) would be one of the main reasons why

its interesting reading old posts how many people on this one would retract there comments now guzan IMO (if we stay up) would be one of the main reasons why
I already ate humble pie ,!

Made an error yday which sunderland couldn't capitalise on, wouldnt say we should retract our statements

I wouldn't retract my opinions on him as such. Always said he is a great shot stopper, pulling out some world class saves during the season. However, he always has a big error in him. Whether that be spilling a shot, completely misjudging a ball (yesterday) or poor positional sense.

That being said, I have given him credit when he has deserved it. I remember coming on and here and praising him following QPR for example.

I like Guzan I think he's been one of our better players this season.

Guzan has come on for the 2nd half in a USA friendly vs Belgium, his centre half has put him in the sh*t and he has just conceded a tap in to Benteke.

I wouldn't retract my opinions on him as such. Always said he is a great shot stopper, pulling out some world class saves during the season. However, he always has a big error in him. Whether that be spilling a shot, completely misjudging a ball (yesterday) or poor positional sense.

That being said, I have given him credit when he has deserved it. I remember coming on and here and praising him following QPR for example.

I think that can be said of any keeper world wide.

Even the likes of Gordon Banks and Peter Shilton, who are arguably the 2 best keepers ever, imo, made mistakes.

John Gregory was once questioned on the errors David James made. He said (I can't quote) That for every mistake he made he'd stop 20 almost certain goals, and that's what people should focus on.

Guzan is without doubt a top keeper, and will get better.

Remember it's his first full season, behind an inexperienced defence, not easy!!

I would certainly say he's one of the top 5 in the Prem

I already ate humble pie ,!

Well done for being big enough to admit it, B6

Sort of backs the 'In the top 5' claim.

0,,10265~11973148,00.jpg

Impressive! Guzan has staked his claim to the No1 Jersey in style behind a very skakey defence this season!

Lambert can class the signing of Guzan up there with Westwood and Benteke!

Interesting reading some of the early posts, Loyal, I think Brad has certainly proved the doubters wrong.

A couple mentioned how he doesn't command the box, and how poor his kicking is. Yet, according to the stats above, he's no 1 and 2 respectively :D

Interesting reading some of the early posts, Loyal, I think Brad has certainly proved the doubters wrong. A couple mentioned how he doesn't command the box, and how poor his kicking is. Yet, according to the stats above, he's no 1 and 2 respectively :D
Yes but early in his villa career he wasn't good at all,, fact

Interesting reading some of the early posts, Loyal, I think Brad has certainly proved the doubters wrong.

A couple mentioned how he doesn't command the box, and how poor his kicking is. Yet, according to the stats above, he's no 1 and 2 respectively :D

thought last season his kicking werent bad --until the last Chelski game----when practically every goal kick from hand "found touch" must have been thinking about the oval ball game,

saw and heard him on numerous occasions commanding his box----and giving out both verbals and praise when the situation demanded,

no doubt in my mind Big Brad gets the nod from me for next season, ;)

Yes but early in his villa career he wasn't good at all,, fact

It depends what you count as his early Villa career, though?

The odd cup game? I admit he had a couple of dodgy moments.

His reserve matches? By all accounts he was pretty solid in the games he played (hearsay)

If you start it when he actually had a run of games under AMcL. He did really well, and should never have been dropped.

Would say it's more your opinion than 'Fact' though.