avstu

Brad Guzan (2008-2016)

avstu    216

Brad Guzan

Discuss Brad Guzan's Aston Villa career here.

soonerfan61    28

Let's hope Brad soaks up all Friedel's knowledge over the next year or two & then follows in his footsteps. (And as a Yankee I wouldn't mind if he created a keeper competition with Howard for the USMNT).

Loyalvillan    584

Aston Villa have confirmed that they are now awaiting a response from Guzan and his management after offering a new contract to Villa's No2.

I guess its up to him now!

avstu    216

Just wondering what people think of Guzan on a whole? I personally believe he isnt a good enough EPL goalkeeper and that he is just around at a time that Shay Given is in decline.

Villa have always been able to boast solid defences including a goalkeeper but I just don't get that confidence when I know Guzan is in goal.

Something that always worries me is this is a goalkeeper who was on loan at Hull City last season and couldn't secure a permanent deal despite the fact he was available on a free in the summer.

And then you compare him to other goalkeepers in this league, and I would say he is in the bottom 3-5 keepers in the league easily.

He definitely had a seriously bad game yesterday, but I think he has had a few really good games as well. The trouble is you need consistency from your keeper and I'm wondering if Guzan was given his chance too late on to reach his full potential. But to be honest i think I feel more nervous with Given. Would love to see us try and steal Butland off SHA as I think he be a serious challenger to Joe Hart as England number in a couple of year's with some prem experience.

Rawly1966    167

I have to agree ,,Guzan is in the bottome three keepers in prem and is defiantly not the future for us ,,personally I would put given back in now !

rogerstan    128

must admit ive never been over confident with guzan, we could do a lot better but dont know where we would get anybody from that would be abailable.

B6!    631

Well I always said he was crap,however, a lot of games this season he has saved us, Newcastle for example.

Loyalvillan    584

this is why we have competition for the spot, i expect Given to come back in for the Arsenal game and see it as his chance to recliam the 1 spot!

AnneMc    265

this is why we have competition for the spot, i expect Given to come back in for the Arsenal game and see it as his chance to recliam the 1 spot!

Lambert's a stubborn soul. I'm not banking on seeing Given between the sticks next weekend.

Loyalvillan    584

Lambert's a stubborn soul. I'm not banking on seeing Given between the sticks next weekend.

but when he has options he is not scared to use them look at Bent! and i am sure when the inevitable injuries come Bent will be hungrier than ever!!

even if it is only to impress then demand a move away!

Jayemdubbya    175

Yesterday would have been no different with Given. Guzan was not the reason for the loss. Two pens, and Agueros goal was perfectly placed. Given is worse against set pieces than Guzan, so that wouldn't have changed the first. The 5th was poor defending.

Givens best days are well passed him. He's slower and doesn't command the box well enough. Guzan is still the better option.

It's the first time in Guzans career he's gotten regular play, and overall he's done pretty good. Being stuck behind Friedel, Given, and Howard on the national team for his career up to this season can't be easy.

I don't see PL changing anyways.

avstu    216

This isnt me saying Given should be playing. This is me saying that a new goalkeeper should be on the list for either January or the summer.

Jarkko    11

Given should play against Arsenal. Guzan has been ok, but was poor against City. He´s not used to this kind of pressure, let him rest... I don´t think we will need to shop on goalkeeper market, there are bigger problems elsewhere, our goalkeepers will be just fine on the long run.

B6!    631

Given should play against Arsenal. Guzan has been ok, but was poor against City. He´s not used to this kind of pressure, let him rest... I don´t think we will need to shop on goalkeeper market, there are bigger problems elsewhere, our goalkeepers will be just fine on the long run.

Totally disagree, Guzan should start.

Who's fault is it when the opposition score ?

The keeper generally gets the blame, but where was the defenders who should have stopped the shot ? Where was the midfield who should have stopped the ball getting through to the defence ?

Get my drift ?

Jayemdubbya    175

Totally disagree, Guzan should start.

Who's fault is it when the opposition score ?

The keeper generally gets the blame, but where was the defenders who should have stopped the shot ? Where was the midfield who should have stopped the ball getting through to the defence ?

Get my drift ?

Exactly. Two penalties and a great shot by Aguero. We have been poor against set pieces with Given and Guzan. Switching GK's won't change that.

Loyalvillan    584

Guzan was at fault for the 5th, his awareness of his own position in relation the the goal post was poor, should have had that one covered!

but apart from that not much else he could do i suppose?

avstu    216

Problem we have is both our keepers are good shot stoppers and that's we're it ends.

Neither are fantastic when it comes to crossing or holding onto the ball. There vision and kicking is p*ss poor.

They say a good goalkeeper will earn you 6-12 points a season. I can't say either of the two we have would do this.