Followers 0
avstu

Stiliyan Petrov (2006-2013)

143 posts in this topic

I recorded it last night at half 5 pm

Gonna watch it when I get in

About 5 am

should be a good watch mate

Saw it. Quite moving and great to see him so happy and excited to be playing again.

Always liked Stan and he was a great captain.

If his career hadn't been ruined by illness then I don't think he'd be considered a legend but who cares?

I think Stan caused more arguments amongst villa fans than any other player.

For me Stan is a holte end hero, his movement off the ball and his ability to look up and find a pass is what has been missing since he stopped playing for the Villa.

One thing that does annoy me us all those who slated him every week who changed their mind as soon as he had the terrible illness.

As Dimitri said, Stan is a true gent on and off the pitch and a great ambassador to all those who play the great game of association football.

Stan Petrov #holteendhero

For me as a man Petrov is a great one and a great role model to younger players .

Having watched villa since the mid 70s as a player i would not put him in my all time 11 or even in the squad however.

A great debut but he struggled for form for a long time at villa.

As for legends I've seen us win many trophies including the biggest but only one legend and that was paul mcgrath - quite simply an incredible player .

Little and cowans fall not that far from legendary status.

When we first signed Petrov I thought we were getting a playmaker and his debut confirmed that for me. However as he played more games for us that undoubted flair he had for a forward pass seemed to leave him and he became more of a glue player linking defence to midfield with more sideway passing retaining possession rather than looking forward.

Now I don't know whether MON was the cause of that putting a leash on him to play that way (the same as Lambert did with Cleverley) or it was just that Petrov adopted a more safety first approach, but whenever I watched Petrov play I was eternally disappointed feeling short changed that I was watching a player who had so much more to give but for whatever reason just didn't produce it.

Nevertheless a very decent man and great ambassador for the club who won his greatest battle off the pitch.

When we first signed Petrov I thought we were getting a playmaker and his debut confirmed that for me. However as he played more games for us that undoubted flair he had for a forward pass seemed to leave him and he became more of a glue player linking defence to midfield with more sideway passing retaining possession rather than looking forward.

Now I don't know whether MON was the cause of that putting a leash on him to play that way (the same as Lambert did with Cleverley) or it was just that Petrov adopted a more safety first approach, but whenever I watched Petrov play I was eternally disappointed feeling short changed that I was watching a player who had so much more to give but for whatever reason just didn't produce it.

Nevertheless a very decent man and great ambassador for the club who won his greatest battle off the pitch.

yep i always known petrov as a box to box attacking CM playing of the fowards sometimes, as you said sidways passing with villa,more of holding CM,mind you he had to great other CM's barry & milner playing alongside aswell

should be a good watch mate

Watched it.

What stood out to me what a decent genuine honest person he is.

Interesting to hear him speak about the time villa fans turned on him and when Martin dropped him

yep i always known petrov as a box to box attacking CM playing of the fowards sometimes, as you said sidways passing with villa,more of holding CM,mind you he had to great other CM's barry & milner playing alongside aswell

No doubt petrov was a far better player at celtic than he was at villa - great role model though and how a man should be .

No doubt petrov was a far better player at celtic than he was at villa - great role model though and how a man should be .

I disagree, the premier league is a higher standard than the spl, Petrov was an attacking cm in Scotland and MON wanted him further right.

I disagree, the premier league is a higher standard than the spl, Petrov was an attacking cm in Scotland and MON wanted him further right.

A higher standard agreed but i would not put petrov in the best villa midfield of the decade never mind legend status.

His debut was arguably his best game in a villa shirt .

A good player for villa and an exceptional man .

I watched him a few times at celtic and he was always outstanding .

A higher standard agreed but i would not put petrov in the best villa midfield of the decade never mind legend status.

His debut was arguably his best game in a villa shirt .

A good player for villa and an exceptional man .

I watched him a few times at celtic and he was always outstanding .

I would have him in the midfield from the last 10 years.

Young Barry Petrov Milner

I would have him in the midfield from the last 10 years.

Young Barry Petrov Milner

He definitely wasn't fully appreciated by many at Villa but worked hard and was key in many games.

I loved him. Always love the grafters, which is why Clark was the first to adorn my shirt since Stan had to retire.

He definitely wasn't fully appreciated by many at Villa but worked hard and was key in many games.

I loved him. Always love the grafters, which is why Clark was the first to adorn my shirt since Stan had to retire.

I must admit I have changed my mind about Clark.

Paul Birch was a grafter and he was one of my favs in his day

I must admit I have changed my mind about Clark.

Paul Birch was a grafter and he was one of my favs in his day

I always liked Clark, as you know, and hope injury doesn't set him back.

Birch was a bit before my time, although I was at his testimonial.

Petrov was always an unsung hero for us, Top Bloke

23/06/2016 : BBC Midlands Today has just reported than 'Stan' will be joining AVFC's first team's summer training camp in Austria.

We may need to move this thread back into 'Current Squad' !

what a f**cking a man god bless you stan

came on todays friendly,still got a big fat arse I see

CngjPHvWAAEgWSP.jpg