Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
avstu

Stiliyan Petrov (2006-2013)

WINNER OF AVILLAFAN.COM'S SEPTEMBER PLAYER OF THE MONTH AWARD!

I've always been a big Petrov fan. He's got wonderful technique and is a good battler. He's had to show alot of character to keep his place and silence his critics. I'm pleased for him now that he's starting to get some recognition. I feel there's alot more to come from him as his confidence grows. Don't think I've ever heard his name chanted at a Villa game, that really bugs me. We sing Salifou's name when he jogs along the touchline and we sing feed the hare, but we don't sing Petrov's name, that's not right.

I think its more of the case, no-1 has a song for Petrov.. Maybe this is something people should be thinking about?

WINNER OF AVILLAFAN.COM'S OCTOBER PLAYER OF THE MONTH AWARD!

Wernt so long ago many people on this forum where on petrovs back.

even when he wasnt on form, in my opinion you could see his technique on the ball was outstanding and his work rate was second to none, which was why i was so confused he was being slated so much.

Great to see him getting some recognition he can be a great player for years to come.

Also heard a song for Petrov at the blackburn game, couldnt tell you it now though :S

Stiliyan Petrov admits he's relieved to have finally won over the Aston Villa fans.

Petrov admitted: “When you come off the pitch and you see the fans are not satisfied with your game, it’s very hard.

“I had to take it and try and show them they were wrong, that I can play better. Now I am happy that the fans clap me. When I was hearing boos, it was hard. The fans come here and they want to see the team play well and when you don’t play well, they lose their faith in you.

“I am glad that I turned them around and I hope I can get better and better and make them even more happy.

“It took me a long time to settle in — I thought I would settle quicker. I didn’t expect it. I started well and then I got some stick and it didn’t go well for me — but I didn’t give up.

“The manager was very good. People said he always gave me preferential treatment because I was the first buy but that’s wrong. He didn’t play me for 10 weeks. It was hard but that’s the way it goes. He is that kind of manager and that’s why I have a lot of respect for him.

“If you don’t do well you are out of the team and have to fight for your place. That’s what happened in my case. I spoke to him and I knew I wasn’t doing well enough and that was the reason I wasn’t in the team."

Well there were a few behind you Stiliyan and the boos you recieved were disgraceful but some of us never doubted you and you have proved that we were right to as this season you have been the most consistant of performers and now you should be one of the 1st names on the teamsheet..Keep it up

thats really dissapointing to hear from a player fans who boo p*ss me off yer so what if the team has played bad if you aint happy vent ur anger on the other team or the oposition fans, get behind the team and the players if the players feel they have the fans backing there going to turn it round kwicker but fare play to petrov and congrats on recent performances!!!!!

To be honest iv only really noticed the differance the fans can have this season. The ground iss quiet and dead most the time, but one great tackle lifts everyone and then you see a big differance Our best performance this season was Arsenal at home in my opinion, and that was because the fans were decent all game. You see the football improve massively when we are behind them, so imagine the effect it had when the fans were behind an individual player its appaling.

Its great to still have players like Stiliyan who would battle for a place for the best part of 2 yeard rather than run off to the comfort zone of easier league or guarenteed sarting position. He is a credit to us.

Certainly has me eating humble pie, i wanted to sell him last season thought he was never going to come good.

But he has loved this new defensive role and has been nothing short of outstanding this season.

He never complained or sulked and kept trying to prove himself and its paid off. Great professional.

Certainly has me eating humble pie, i wanted to sell him last season thought he was never going to come good.

But he has loved this new defensive role and has been nothing short of outstanding this season.

He never complained or sulked and kept trying to prove himself and its paid off. Great professional.

I'm sure he feels redeemed. What a great leader on a team full of them!

Stiliyan Petrov says he is ready to sign a new contract at Aston Villa after several weeks of talks.

The Bulgaria midfielder, 29, struggled for form after his 2006 move from Celtic, but he now appears to have recovered his form and has enjoyed a successful season.

And, with his contract due to expire in 2010, he has revealed he could soon commit his long-term future to the club.

“We have had a few talks and we will see where it will end up,” he said in the Daily Express.

“It could have happen next week and it could happen next summer.

“I don’t think anyone has ever heard me say I was ever unhappy at Villa. I am going through a better time on the pitch now, though, and as long as I go out and perform well for the team and the fans then I am happy.

“If you have a bad time, you have to make sure you are a good team-mate. That is the best you can do. I never gave up.”

Petrov also said he hopes fellow midfielder Gareth Barry remains at Villa.

“I speak with Gareth Barry all the time and, when the good players stay in the club, you want to stay as well,” he said.

“We have an exciting young team and you want to see your best players stay.

“We would love Gareth to stay because he is an incredible player and we would rather than him here than somewhere else.

“He will get my vote as our player of the season.”

Would be nice to see if he can play as an attacking midfielder rather than a defending midfielder, I suppose it bears down on who we replace Barry with.

What about using Millner to replace Barry? has a great engine and can run for 90+ mins, and may find his shooting/passing boots even more.