FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

With Pep now closing in on spending £1B at Manchester City, I am wondering what peoples thoughts are on him as a manager?

There is no question that his sides are good to watch at times even though i do get bored after a while as i feel they overpass the ball but thats down to personal preference more than anything.

The reason i ask the question is because he took over two time European Champions (previous two seasons) Bayern Munich and failed to succeed in the Champs League. And now he's been in charge of moneybags City and still failed to win the Champions League despite what he spent.

Jose Mourinho for example spent less with Porto, Chelsea and Inter and won the Champions League yet so many say he can only do it with money. So why is the perception of Pep any different?

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

He is obviously a good manager as he sets his teams up well and gets results. But let’s be honest, there are many other managers out there that would have the same success with the amount of spending power he has had. The only thing for me is he has not won the champs league at Man City. I reckon if someone like Jose was city manager with that money, they would have won it.

On 8/14/2021 at 8:18 PM, Apollo said:

He is obviously a good manager as he sets his teams up well and gets results. But let’s be honest, there are many other managers out there that would have the same success with the amount of spending power he has had. The only thing for me is he has not won the champs league at Man City. I reckon if someone like Jose was city manager with that money, they would have won it.

I like Pep and he comes across so well on their documentary (which i doubt they would allow anything else) but I think with Pep he gets found out.

In Barcelona, Jose and then Simone worked out if you play a rough tactic and make them go out wide, they are not as affective. Clubs in Europe starting to work this out as proved with all three clubs he has managed.

I have always believed clubs respect his sides too much. Not for the first time, Nuno got it spot on the weekend against Pep.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

On 8/17/2021 at 11:54 AM, avstu said:

I like Pep and he comes across so well on their documentary (which i doubt they would allow anything else) but I think with Pep he gets found out.

In Barcelona, Jose and then Simone worked out if you play a rough tactic and make them go out wide, they are not as affective. Clubs in Europe starting to work this out as proved with all three clubs he has managed.

I have always believed clubs respect his sides too much. Not for the first time, Nuno got it spot on the weekend against Pep.

He does seem a decent character to be fair.

I think you are right with him getting found out at times.

I really hope they fail this season as I don’t like the way they are throwing their money about. 

I think Spurs have got themselves a good manager there. 

Apparently he is leaving at the end of his contract.

Mellberg_Signature.png

• 4 weeks later...