Crystal Palace v Aston Villa

Pre & post-match discussion, live chat, and analysis

Aston Villa

2020-21 Premier League Match 36

Sunday 16th May 2021

12.00 Kick-Off (UK time)

Selhurst Park, London

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

Not used to these early kick offs! 4 cans in! Shouting at the tv! The dog keeps barking at me lol! 

We started well, but seem to go missing in patches and invite the pressure on.

As much as many slate him on social media we really missed Mings today. I personally think he would have dealt with that Bentekke goal. He also has a lot of pace and would have prevented a lot of those palace attacks.

we also missed Cash. I like Elmo as he has been a good servant of the club, but he has defo past his best.

The worrying decline in results continue as we appear to be reverting back to the villa of old.  Substitutions again made to late, do wish DS would at least blood some of the youth players.   Would provide some form of positivity from another defeat.

"the team may be sh*t, but they are our sh*t" boldfinger

Mings and Cash were definately missed-------an own goal really,and a "shirt sleeve" goal  which according to Jamie Redknapp would not have been given last season

----But we went in front twice only to sit back, let Palace find another gear gain momentum and grab the points-----thankfully we are safe otherwise defeats like this would be real hard to swallow--

VTID.

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

Massive second half collapse and a massive over-reaction on social media.

I have questioned Smith a lot during his three year spell but most of us would have taken 11-12th and not having to worry about relegation at the start of the season. Is it a missed opportunity? Possibly. But equally we have a manager who has openly stated that we must be challenging for Europe next season. He is openly putting pressure on himself. We have improved every year under him.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

• avstu changed the title to Crystal Palace 3-2 Aston Villa
On 5/17/2021 at 10:04 PM, avstu said:

Massive second half collapse and a massive over-reaction on social media.

I have questioned Smith a lot during his three year spell but most of us would have taken 11-12th and not having to worry about relegation at the start of the season. Is it a missed opportunity? Possibly. But equally we have a manager who has openly stated that we must be challenging for Europe next season. He is openly putting pressure on himself. We have improved every year under him.

Yet , he is too little for the size of Villa. The matches in 2021 pointed to a relegation path.