FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Is Dean Smith the right man to take us forward?

Is Dean Smith the right man t take us forward ?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Is Dean Smith the right man to take us forward ?

On 3/27/2021 at 9:12 PM, rogerstan said:

i voted no, i dont think he is the one to take us into the top 6, trouble is, there is no one available to do the job better than him, so i suppose until there is we have to stick with him. i just hope we can improve our striking force sooner rather than later. 

I have never agreed with the sentiment "there is no-one better". A club with the pockets we have, there is always someone better.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think there is any doubt that Smith is taking us forward. I'm as frustrated as anyone with our form since the COVID outbreak, and his decisions at times, but the progress this season compared

Without a doubt yes.  Like everyone I have been extremely disappointed with recent performances and results and I don't agree with the ahead of schedule or better then we thought we would do argu

I love the fact we have a Villa fan as manager along with the new owners, it really has repaired the gap between the club and it's supporters that had become so toxic over the last decade or so. But i

On 4/2/2021 at 12:22 PM, avstu said:

I have heard a few murmurs that Smith hasn't been impressed and will look to offload him this summer. Id be surprised if i am being honest. A loan maybe..

Interesting. I know he was taken off with a possible injury during the u23 game yesterday so another setback if true.

bestmember.gif

EuropaLeague.png

9 hours ago, irish_villain said:

Interesting. I know he was taken off with a possible injury during the u23 game yesterday so another setback if true.

I watched the game, it was something and nothing made worse by the media and social media.

He took a few knocks and they took him off - he was seen laughing and joking talking to John Terry and co at Half Time in the stand. I doubt he would be doing that if it was a serious break down.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

For me the question asked is is DS the man to take us forward?, not has he done a good/decent job so far.

I am content with the job DS has done so far remembering he inherited a squad that contained Grealish, McGinn & Abraham (on loan), since then I've read he has spent £240 million ( I have read this and taken this figure at face value).

So DS has certainly been given all the assistance a manger can be given by the owners & Purslow to build a team/squad.

I do wonder  did we over-achieve at the start of the season?, certainly beating Liverpool 7-2 whilst most enjoyable can only be taken as a fluke in the context of a season.

Recent results and more importantly the teams performance has drastically tailed off, with frustrating defeats to teams like Sheff Utd & Burnley.  I certainly do not suggest Villa are entitled to beat teams like Sheff Utd/Burnley however, as a Villa fan I do expect the team we have to beat this level of opposition, more often than not and I am certainly relieved we got the points in the bag early for this season.

I find DS to inflexible in his team selection and tactics.  Even after a defeat I feel we could all take a good guess we will go 4-2-3-1 and if substitutions are made they MORE OFTEN THAN NOT (Fulham subs being the exception not the rule) have no impact or are made to late in the game imo to allow the player/s to affect a change.

If we are content to trundle along and settle for being a EPL then I'm happy for DS to continue however, if we wish to challenge the top 6 and go for europe I believe a better manager with a track record to reflect this is required.

Remembering if we fail to challenge Jack Grealish and others will move on to a team who can give them a platform to perform at the highest level.

As we quite rightly state, we are extremely lucky to have such supportive owners who are doing everything they can to assist in restoring Villa to the elite level we feel as fans we deserve to be.

Therefore, why couldn't Villa attract an Allegri or Nagelsmann?  we seem to have an inferiority complex that we are not good enough or worthy of a manager of this caliber, WHY?

So if we want to move forward DS needs to be moved on and real ambition shown with the acquisition of a top level manager (Everton/Ancelotti). 

"the team may be sh*t, but they are our sh*t" boldfinger

I love the fact we have a Villa fan as manager along with the new owners, it really has repaired the gap between the club and it's supporters that had become so toxic over the last decade or so. But it is not enough for Dean to be a fan to be Villa manager, he has to be judged on his performance as manager and if he fails in his objectives then Villa fan or not he has to go. So when Dean took over from Bruce, his job was to build us up like Brentford and get us promoted on a much reduced budget. I doubt anybody at the club realistically thought he would get us up that first season, but he did, and in some style. So with getting an unexpected promotion through the play off final, he had very little time to completely rebuild the squad to try and stay in the Prem. it was touch and go for some time but amazingly he did it. This season he was tasked with pushing on and making sure the club were not struggling again, and he again has more than achieved that, with a really successful summer transfer window where the defence was revitalised, and a hungry goal scoring striker was recruited. I honestly don't know what more Dean and his team could have done with the time and resources he has had at the club. It has been a truly fantastic run so far with Dean. Our owners are obviously ambitious, but they are also realists. They know they want Villa to be in Europe and competing to win trophies, but they also know that that takes time and investment, so Dean will have both. If he fails to drive the club forward then he knows he will be gone, but so far he has met every challenge thrown at him, who's to say he can't go on and lift a trophy as Villa manager?

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/12/2021 at 12:19 AM, Wurzel said:

I love the fact we have a Villa fan as manager along with the new owners, it really has repaired the gap between the club and it's supporters that had become so toxic over the last decade or so. But it is not enough for Dean to be a fan to be Villa manager, he has to be judged on his performance as manager and if he fails in his objectives then Villa fan or not he has to go. So when Dean took over from Bruce, his job was to build us up like Brentford and get us promoted on a much reduced budget. I doubt anybody at the club realistically thought he would get us up that first season, but he did, and in some style. So with getting an unexpected promotion through the play off final, he had very little time to completely rebuild the squad to try and stay in the Prem. it was touch and go for some time but amazingly he did it. This season he was tasked with pushing on and making sure the club were not struggling again, and he again has more than achieved that, with a really successful summer transfer window where the defence was revitalised, and a hungry goal scoring striker was recruited. I honestly don't know what more Dean and his team could have done with the time and resources he has had at the club. It has been a truly fantastic run so far with Dean. Our owners are obviously ambitious, but they are also realists. They know they want Villa to be in Europe and competing to win trophies, but they also know that that takes time and investment, so Dean will have both. If he fails to drive the club forward then he knows he will be gone, but so far he has met every challenge thrown at him, who's to say he can't go on and lift a trophy as Villa manager?

The bold highlighted bit is where i stand.

Mellberg_Signature.png

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2021 at 12:33 PM, B6! said:

After yet another poor performance without Jack we really are a one man team.

Smith has spent a lot of money on transfers but we are a poor team when it comes to changes, No Grealish = No Villa.

Smith's lack of ability to change formation and tactics is his weakness so is he the man to take us forward to the vision of our owners or do we look at alternatives ?

Your spot on hes quiet thick when it comes to changing a game . Poor signings will cost him his job 

We need a good hard mid fielder not another weak purchase Turnbull is ok in Scottish football but not in the premier league  Watch him on Youtube hes poor . Stop buying poor foreigners like Sanson there are better players in the championship 

Carl 

On 5/25/2021 at 9:01 PM, rogerstan said:

still dont think he is the man to take us to where we want to be, although im happy with our mid table finish this season, 

I 100% agree with that Roger.

image.png

Championeeeeee Championeeeee Olee Oleee Oleeeee

You need people like me so people like you can point your fcuking fingers and say there's the bad guy