FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Is Dean Smith the right man to take us forward?

Is Dean Smith the right man t take us forward ?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is Dean Smith the right man to take us forward ?

After yet another poor performance without Jack we really are a one man team.

Smith has spent a lot of money on transfers but we are a poor team when it comes to changes, No Grealish = No Villa.

Smith's lack of ability to change formation and tactics is his weakness so is he the man to take us forward to the vision of our owners or do we look at alternatives ?

image.png

Championeeeeee Championeeeee Olee Oleee Oleeeee

You need people like me so people like you can point your fcuking fingers and say there's the bad guy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't think there is any doubt that Smith is taking us forward. I'm as frustrated as anyone with our form since the COVID outbreak, and his decisions at times, but the progress this season compared

Without a doubt yes.  Like everyone I have been extremely disappointed with recent performances and results and I don't agree with the ahead of schedule or better then we thought we would do argu

I love the fact we have a Villa fan as manager along with the new owners, it really has repaired the gap between the club and it's supporters that had become so toxic over the last decade or so. But i

I stick with him for now. Its clear we have improved under Smith and its also clear he his getting better and learning as he goes along.

With our form in the first half of the season, have we over-achieved? Or are we in fact under achieving now?

I agree that he needs to find a system that works when Jack is missing but the players need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Cash has admitted fault in the silly penalty he gave away. A Martinez error cost us the first goal - two players who would be one of the first names on everyones team sheets.

Its a big summer for us - we need quality now and not quantity. The new scouting/recruitment team need to give Smith what he requires to push us on next season and that includes wingers who will press with Watkins and have an end product.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

I don't think there is any doubt that Smith is taking us forward. I'm as frustrated as anyone with our form since the COVID outbreak, and his decisions at times, but the progress this season compared to last is massive.

He took us over when we were mid table in the championship. Within a couple of years we are beating the champions 7-2, playing some of the best football I've seen us play in my lifetime and actually being in the mix for a European spot come March. 

All the talk seems to be that we plan on significantly improving the first team again this Summer. Should that be true, then the pressure really will be on Smith next season to improve us further. 

• Like 1

bestmember.gif

EuropaLeague.png

Without a doubt yes. 

Like everyone I have been extremely disappointed with recent performances and results and I don't agree with the ahead of schedule or better then we thought we would do argument a reason to excuse our recent dreadful form. We must strive for better then that.

However, Smith has done a terrific job and I think it would be absurd to even think about a change. Every time Smith's teams have had a major fault he's addressed it and come back stronger like the huge defensive improvement after the break last season.

The team has improved every season and we can't become a top 6 team overnight. I think I read a stat recently about only 2 teams outside of the usual top 6 group broke into that grouping in the last decade.  Look at a stable club like Everton with a world class manager and they are struggling to make any meaningful impact into that category and just like us struggle hugely with a few players out. 

Factor in injuries, a loss of momentum with the covid outbreak and Barkley seemingly giving up and I think we can't really be too disappointed.

Next season we need to take another step forward and I have know doubt Smith will but he will need more reinforcements. Based on  signings so far, I trust we will. 

• Upvote 1

"This is not possible. What McGrath is doing is just not possible with the amount of preparation that he's had."

I say stick with Deano,cant really add any more Stu Dublin and IV have summed it up nicely.

Since the covid outbreak and Barkley,s apparent loss of form we have struggled but at least we will be in the premiership next season sensible investment in the summer namely quality support for Ollie should see a more definite top 6-8 challenge next season. 

VTID

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

9 hours ago, freddy said:

I say stick with Deano,cant really add any more Stu Dublin and IV have summed it up nicely.

Since the covid outbreak and Barkley,s apparent loss of form we have struggled but at least we will be in the premiership next season sensible investment in the summer namely quality support for Ollie should see a more definite top 6-8 challenge next season. 

VTID

I think its going to be interesting to see what happens with Wesley now he's nearing fitness. Whether DS and the board feel he is good enough competition/support for Ollie or if we'll sign a new striker in the Summer. 

bestmember.gif

EuropaLeague.png

i voted no, i dont think he is the one to take us into the top 6, trouble is, there is no one available to do the job better than him, so i suppose until there is we have to stick with him. i just hope we can improve our striking force sooner rather than later. 

We came up without a team, you can't recruit the amount of players we had to recruit these past two summers, remain with FFP and buy ready made top quality players.

We are heading in the right direction, have a bit of patience.

On 3/27/2021 at 3:44 PM, irish_villain said:

I think its going to be interesting to see what happens with Wesley now he's nearing fitness. Whether DS and the board feel he is good enough competition/support for Ollie or if we'll sign a new striker in the Summer. 

I have heard a few murmurs that Smith hasn't been impressed and will look to offload him this summer. Id be surprised if i am being honest. A loan maybe..

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant