FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. Ă—

There is ten games left i believe,ye reckon this is possible if results go Villa's way,or too much of a big ask? Or will everyone just be content with a top10 finish?

Villa in Europe rubbing shoulders against some of the big names would be nice🙂

m2ThHd1o-KvVhMbtbmLiE8Q.jpg

controversial_dimitri.png

22 hours ago, Colonel Dimitri said:

There is ten games left i believe,ye reckon this is possible if results go Villa's way,or too much of a big ask? Or will everyone just be content with a top10 finish?

Villa in Europe rubbing shoulders against some of the big names would be nice🙂

Europe for me is an exciting prospect but thats it. I wouldn't be disappointed if we didn't get Europe. A top 10-12 finish would represent improvement which is all we can ask for.

I do expect us to make a better show of ourselves in cup competitions next year however!

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

We are on the up, while that remains the case I'm happy.

Its the summer transfer market that really has my interest as I think if we can sign a couple of attack minded players that improve what we have then we'll have a team that can go up against the very best and win.

I honestly don’t think Europe would be good for us next season. We are still in the process of rebuilding our premier league status. I would be more that happy with 10th.

I dont think the current squad is strong enough to compete in Europe,

Those of us with long memory, s can recall the last experience under MON and the Moscow fiasco which many think began the demise.

A top 10 spot would be great and will show how far the club had come since last season and as some have said a couple of attack minded additions in the

summer would sure put more meat on the bone.

VTID

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

17 hours ago, Apollo said:

I honestly don’t think Europe would be good for us next season. We are still in the process of rebuilding our premier league status. I would be more that happy with 10th.

Im of the same thought process. I have said it before, i think we are still 4-5 quality first teamers short. We have players currently in the starting xi who are decent squad players but thats it.

I don't want us to get to far ahead of ourselves too quickly that ends up knocking us back 2-3 steps in the future.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

• 4 weeks later...

How bizarre, to not want to qualify for europe.

Do we think West Ham fans are hoping and praying their results drop off to avoid the disappointment of having to play AC Milan, Roma, Ajax etc next season?

If we qualified for europe would we not look to bring new players in to supplement the current squad to deal with the additional rigors?

Doesn't qualification raise Villa's profile around the world, does it not make us a more attractive proposition to players we target, does it not introduce a new revenue stream into the clubs transfer coffers, does it not provide Grealish with another reason to stay?

Dare to dream isn't that what football is about?

• Upvote 1

"the team may be sh*t, but they are our sh*t" boldfinger

1 hour ago, markymark said:

How bizarre, to not want to qualify for europe.

Do we think West Ham fans are hoping and praying their results drop off to avoid the disappointment of having to play AC Milan, Roma, Ajax etc next season?

If we qualified for europe would we not look to bring new players in to supplement the current squad to deal with the additional rigors?

Doesn't qualification raise Villa's profile around the world, does it not make us a more attractive proposition to players we target, does it not introduce a new revenue stream into the clubs transfer coffers, does it not provide Grealish with another reason to stay?

Dare to dream isn't that what football is about?

You are 100% correct and i don't disagree but I dont want to bite more than we can chew.

I want gradual improvement instead of too quick and we end up paying for it at a later date.

I think West Ham are in a different position to us. We are in our second season back in the EPL, they arent!

Mellberg_Signature.png

You are 100% correct and i don't disagree but I dont want to bite more than we can chew.

I want gradual improvement instead of too quick and we end up paying for it at a later date.

I think West Ham are in a different position to us. We are in our second season back in the EPL, they arent!

Hi Stu,

Thanks for the response, would you please expand on:

I dont want to bite more than we can chew

In what context are we biting off more than we can chew, additional games ?(I agree the current squad would need filling out).  I feel we have the right people (Purslow, Lange & NSWE) in place to identify and manage this requirement.

I want gradual improvement instead of too quick and we end up paying for it at a later date

How are you measuring gradual improvement?, what consequence do you see us paying for by qualifying for europe to soon?

What improvements/targets need to be met in your opinion for you to feel it is the right time to go for european qualification?  I ask as I'm sure we agree a team has to improve and invest just to standstill in the EPL never mind improve.

Reference West Ham they are the dark horse or over achiever so far this season but, I don't see your reference regarding a 'different position'.  Purely based on the numbers of seasons they've been in the EPL?, so have Burnley and Wolves.  We (Villa)  imo have far superior owners and on paper a better starting 11 overall.

We COULD qualify for the Europa league and win it (I agree this is hypothetical) and this ushers in a new dawn of success at Villa.  However, what we can hopefully agree on is not qualifying for europe in no way enhances Villa's reputation/potential.  But rather leaves us in that mid-table quagmire of teams trying to break the top 6 ceiling.  Waiting for this undefined right moment.

CARPE DIEM, Stu, CARPE DIEM

Interested to read your thoughts.

"the team may be sh*t, but they are our sh*t" boldfinger

I'd welcome  European football next season for all the reasons Markymark has pointed out, but Its going to take one hell of a turnaround in form looking at the teams we have left to play.

I'll be happy enough with a strong finish to the season, a good summer in the transfer window and then hopefully see what this lot can do in front of a packed Villa Park when next year anything less than European football will be seen as a failure.