Aston Villa v Southampton

Pre/post-match chat and analysis.

Grealish after defeat to Leeds

2020/21 Premier League

Sunday, 01 November 2020

Kick Off: 12.00 (GMT)

Villa Park, Birmingham

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

EPL (Premier League), Sunday 01/11/2020 : Aston Villa v Southampton, KO 12:00 hours, SKY.

26/10/2020 : This is starting to look like a Season where anyone can beat anyone on the day, irrespective of 'reputation'. Our opponents next Sunday beat league leaders Everton yesterday, which kept the top of the table tighter than we might have feared after our loss to Leeds last Friday night.
I trust AVFC will follow the cliche and 'bounce back' and have predicted accordingly.

Prediction (in Prediction League), made today : Aston Villa 2-1 Southampton

Edited by Larry-AV
Typo.

AVFC RFC SAFC

Another pay to view game as is the next!!

We need to bounce back saints best us twice last season,so revenge is due.

Come On You Lions 

AVFC 3 Saints 1

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

Although today's result won't ultimately dictate our season, it does feel like a real big test for Villa.

Southampton will play a very similar press to the one Leeds shown so have we learnt lessons on how to counter it? I found at times last season Smith lacked a real plan B. It will be interesting to see if both he and the players have evolved.

Its so much easier when everything is going well but this is a completely different test.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

EPL (Premier League), Sunday 01/11/2020 : Aston Villa 3-4 Southampton

With both AVFC and Rangers playing from 12:00 today I followed both games online on three tabs (Twitter and both SSN live commentaries) plus Sportsound for Rangers and SSN at half time and full time for both games.
Without seeing the play it is hard to judge, but AVFC fell victim to set pieces in the 1st half but battled back in the 2nd, albeit 'too little, too late'. A disappointment, but not a drubbing ... anyone can beat anyone on the day !

AVFC RFC SAFC

• Larry-AV changed the title to Aston Villa 3-4 Southampton

They had four attempts on target, 3 from free kicks and their goalkeeper was one of their better players.

I thought the game ebbed and flowed with both teams enjoying periods on top.

Back to reality but 4 wins in 6 still represents an excellent  start, now lets see how we do in the next 6 where I still fancy a decent points return.

7 hours ago, avstu said:

Although today's result won't ultimately dictate our season, it does feel like a real big test for Villa.

Southampton will play a very similar press to the one Leeds shown so have we learnt lessons on how to counter it? I found at times last season Smith lacked a real plan B. It will be interesting to see if both he and the players have evolved.

Its so much easier when everything is going well but this is a completely different test.

Based on what we just saw, I would say the answer is no. Once again a side with a high intensity press, destroyed us and on another day may have had more.

Yes, we looked a better side for the final 30 minutes and had Trezeguet took one of his chances it may have been a different result but we need to find a way to play against these sides.

Once again, our midfield were found wanting and the defence looked all out of sorts, hanging onto the ball too long so the high press caused them to make mistakes. I suggested after the Leeds game that I would have bulked the midfield out with legs, and if that means dropping the likes of Barkley then so be it. Its a squad game and having the legs of Hourihane or Nakamba may have helped today.

Yes we won our first four games but we need to get past that now and look to see where we can win our next.

Mellberg_Signature.png

• avstu unpinned this topic