FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Ultimately disappointed to pass up the chance to progress.

Let's hope we don't get any injuries to the first 11 as our reserves are utter shite.

"the team may be sh*t, but they are our sh*t" boldfinger

League Cup Round Four, Thursday 01/10/2020 : Aston Villa 0-1 Stoke City

This looks like another case of playing a weakened team and losing a match that was otherwise winnable. Consequently AVFC join Wolves as a scalp for Stoke City in their League Cup campaign.

Edited by Larry-AV
Formatting.

AVFC RFC SAFC

When i saw the team i wasnt impressed-it appears the back up players arent good enough-just hope we dont get many injurys nor suspensions.

VTID

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

• Larry-AV changed the title to LC: Aston Villa 0-1 Stoke City

Really disappointed in some of the players and that we went out.

However I entirely support Smith having made so many changes, you could argue that's it's crazy that this competition is even going ahead this year and ultimately we have to focus our efforts on our strong league start as nice and potentially achievable as the cup was.  

There was nothing in that performance from Traore to suggest he is ready to start in the league and you do worry about some of our backup but realistically players like Lansbury and Jota know they have no place really and we would sell them at the first opportunity. I still think we need more cover for the wings/attack.

The match reminded of some of those horrible games in the Championship where a well organised but very average team just wanted it more and were willing to fight to do so.

Different team and prospect on Sunday, moving on.

"This is not possible. What McGrath is doing is just not possible with the amount of preparation that he's had."

4 hours ago, Dublin Villain said:

Really disappointed in some of the players and that we went out.

However I entirely support Smith having made so many changes, you could argue that's it's crazy that this competition is even going ahead this year and ultimately we have to focus our efforts on our strong league start as nice and potentially achievable as the cup was.  

There was nothing in that performance from Traore to suggest he is ready to start in the league and you do worry about some of our backup but realistically players like Lansbury and Jota know they have no place really and we would sell them at the first opportunity. I still think we need more cover for the wings/attack.

The match reminded of some of those horrible games in the Championship where a well organised but very average team just wanted it more and were willing to fight to do so.

Different team and prospect on Sunday, moving on.

I agree with these changes. We have to remember that these players outplayed Bristol City (who beat Stoke this season) a week earlier. The second string players let the manager and fans down.

Traore will need to up his game but I hope that will come playing with better quality players. As you said, some players need to move on because I don't see a future at VP for them. El Ghazi is in that list for me also.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

16 minutes ago, CHRISTOPHE said:

I am very disappointed and surprised at the same time, because I thought that Dean Smith will field a team with more starters, because for me one of the club's priorities is to win the League Cup or the FA Cup. Now I look forward to Sunday's game.

Its a tricky one Chrisophe. We are 2 weeks in and have already played five games. That side was more than capable of beating Stoke. The problem was they highlighted why so many of them are nowhere near the first team. This side also beat a BETTER Bristol City 7 days earlier.

I would say Nakamba did OK but he isnt required in games like that. Ramsey did OK but was struggling with those around him. Elmo didnt do too much wrong either. The rest though, need to take a long hard look at themselves and decide what they want moving forward for their careers.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

1 hour ago, avstu said:

I agree with these changes. We have to remember that these players outplayed Bristol City (who beat Stoke this season) a week earlier. The second string players let the manager and fans down.

Traore will need to up his game but I hope that will come playing with better quality players. As you said, some players need to move on because I don't see a future at VP for them. El Ghazi is in that list for me also.

Yeah ultimately the players let us all down yesterday. 

Agree regarding El Ghazi , I think there was talk of Olympiacos a few weeks back. The worry is as things there is no way he wont be playing a decent amount of games with injuries, suspensions  and the quick turnaround of games. He's started the season poor in contrast to Trez who looks much improved so far though he does have his moments of class.

"This is not possible. What McGrath is doing is just not possible with the amount of preparation that he's had."

14 hours ago, Dublin Villain said:

Yeah ultimately the players let us all down yesterday. 

Agree regarding El Ghazi , I think there was talk of Olympiacos a few weeks back. The worry is as things there is no way he wont be playing a decent amount of games with injuries, suspensions  and the quick turnaround of games. He's started the season poor in contrast to Trez who looks much improved so far though he does have his moments of class.

I guess it comes down to motivation. There are players who seem to be happy picking up there pay cheque each week and don't care if they play and then there are people who want to play.

As you mentioned, Trezeguet seems eager. He frustrates me but he knows he has competition in Traore now and ALSO he is one season in so may have accustomed himself to the climate and Premier League.

Mellberg_Signature.png

• avstu unpinned this topic