FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Aston Villa wage reductions

Aston Villa wage reductions

Aston Villa are in “constructive” talks with their players over potential wage reductions and will not be furloughing any of their staff.

Villa are in negotiations with Dean Smith’s squad as they assess the financial ramifications of the coronavirus pandemic, with a decision likely to be reached later this month.

It is understood that Villa’s leadership group, which consists of Jack Grealish, Tyrone Mings, Tom Heaton, club captain James Chester and Neil Taylor, have been at the forefront of the discussions with the club’s hierarchy.

Villa are owned by billionaires Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens, with the squad’s current wage bill at around £65million. 

Source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/04/16/aston-villa-constructive-talks-players-possible-wage-reductions/

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

I was wondering whether this would happen or not and I'd be disappointed if they chose to furlough staff so fair play to them. 

Makes more sense for players (who aren't playing or training at the minute) to reduce their wage so that ordinary folk can still get their normal wage. 

I see Arsenal players are taking a 12.5% cut, that they get back over a 6 month period. Which is pathetic. The likes of Ozil will still be on over £300.000 a WEEK. Pathetic

mzjj.jpg

3 hours ago, JustRich said:

I was wondering whether this would happen or not and I'd be disappointed if they chose to furlough staff so fair play to them. 

Makes more sense for players (who aren't playing or training at the minute) to reduce their wage so that ordinary folk can still get their normal wage. 

I see Arsenal players are taking a 12.5% cut, that they get back over a 6 month period. Which is pathetic. The likes of Ozil will still be on over £300.000 a WEEK. Pathetic

I was listening to the Brighton chairman on this matter on the Football Show today. He said that it is unfair to slate a player for refusing to take the cut without understanding their situation. He said Brighton have been very open about their finances to their players and the various scenarios Brighton would find themselves in depending on what happened moving forward. He also said we need to realise that players are people just like us who have their own bills to pay - albeit probably a lot higher than ours.

I do find it hard to believe there will be a way back for him with their club or teammates though.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

22 hours ago, avstu said:

I was listening to the Brighton chairman on this matter on the Football Show today. He said that it is unfair to slate a player for refusing to take the cut without understanding their situation. He said Brighton have been very open about their finances to their players and the various scenarios Brighton would find themselves in depending on what happened moving forward. He also said we need to realise that players are people just like us who have their own bills to pay - albeit probably a lot higher than ours.

I do find it hard to believe there will be a way back for him with their club or teammates though.

Which I fully understand, I think people often forget that these lads are just human. 

However when you're sitting on £350,000k a week and you demand the money back if you take a wage cut for a bloody couple of months, I think it's downright pathetic when there are millions out there genuinely struggling to survive on what they have. I'm hoping this situation makes football pop and have to start from scratch with wage restrictions in place. 

Don't forget players have sponsorships as well, and get god knows how much free stuff, it's crazy. 

I know a professional footballer in league one (on loan in league two) and they're not being asked to take a cut because he's not on all that much, probably just over 50k a year roughly, still a lot of money, but when it's the household income... Not so much

mzjj.jpg

• 2 weeks later...