Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
avstu

Premier League

Premier League

Just wondering what people think the Premier League should do in regards to the remainder of this season?

Should they just void the season and plan to hopefully start again in August/September?

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

03/04/2020 : With Covid-19 we are confronted by a disease with no cure, analogous to the plagues of history. In view of that I stand by what I posted on AVF earlier and then on FB and elsewhere (including Stu's original question) and repeat it below for the benefit of anyone who may have missed it.

17/03/2020 : On AVillaFan today the Site Owner Stuart Young posted this question :

COVID-19

With football currently on hold (and rightly so) what do you think the FA should do with the remainder of the season?

My Reply :

17/03/2020 : This coronavirus lockdown will probably continue beyond the scheduled end of the 2019-2020 Season. It will probably impact the 2020-2021 Season too. The lockdown should logically continue until a vaccine is created and (like the flu jab) has been administered nationwide (and world wide).

If we assume a vaccine has become available and administered by the end of this calendar year (2020), then to me the logic for football would be to scrap the 2020-2021 Season and play out the remainder of this Season, 2019-2020, from early 2021 instead. This to cover all domestic League and Cup and all European Club competitions, but not international matches.

Season 2020-2021 would become a lost Season, joining the other Seasons lost to World Wars I and II, but the current Season would be completed properly and fairly, albeit a year late.

AVFC RFC SAFC

6 hours ago, avstu said:

Premier League

Just wondering what people think the Premier League should do in regards to the remainder of this season?

Should they just void the season and plan to hopefully start again in August/September?

Following the news and reading all sorts of articles it seems likely that this isn't going away any time soon, the more optimistic forecasts are hoping we'll be over the worst by May but when reading about a return to any semblance of normality the optimists talk of 6 months, the pessimists up to 2 years.

Personally I think next season kicking off on time is 50/50 at best.

On 4/3/2020 at 11:58 AM, avstu said:

Premier League

I think there are so many associated factors to consider it is difficult to predict.

I guess until the progress of this pandemic unfolds in to clearer waters, we can only speculate.

The state of the nation obviously comes first and only when we can establish that.....will football have a look in.

I think your last line has so many financial implications, but it might come to that.

Reckon this season is over and will be voided 

Next season might start Sept Oct depending what state the nation is in.

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

if football is suspended, then saturdays should be to, i cant find another use for it. 

The EFL have released a plan today on how they propose to get their season back up and running again

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/apr/09/efl-hopes-to-restart-season-in-june-and-play-113-games-in-56-days

Thoughts?

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

no chance, we wont get anything back to normal for a long while yet, to many ignore the advise of the government, and they are not strict enough to get serious about it. 

On 4/3/2020 at 11:58 AM, avstu said:

Premier League

If they can restart before the end of May, then they could finish the season by the end of July. Have a 2-3 week break, and get into the next season a few weeks later than planned, have the usual winter break and finish the season later. 

However, a few footballers have stated that if football resumes they need a month of pre season, otherwise give it three games and everyone will be injured. Which is a fair point. I think it's inevitable that the season will be void at this rate. You can't play behind closed doors and expect hundreds, if not thousands, to turn up outside like Valencia fans did. Plus the fact staff and players are still catching it/recovering from it, it wouldn't be fair

mzjj.jpg

13 hours ago, JustRich said:

If they can restart before the end of May, then they could finish the season by the end of July. Have a 2-3 week break, and get into the next season a few weeks later than planned, have the usual winter break and finish the season later. 

However, a few footballers have stated that if football resumes they need a month of pre season, otherwise give it three games and everyone will be injured. Which is a fair point. I think it's inevitable that the season will be void at this rate. You can't play behind closed doors and expect hundreds, if not thousands, to turn up outside like Valencia fans did. Plus the fact staff and players are still catching it/recovering from it, it wouldn't be fair

A very valid point that I've not yet heard at the end there Rich...any squad with an infected player or two would likely be decimated and potentially unable to field anything like a full strength team for weeks possibly months.