Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
dorset lion

What would you do ?

What would you do ?

You've just bought Aston Villa off Tony Xia, you're a multi billionaire but hamstrung by FFP and a club up to its eyeballs in debt.

How are you going to get this club back amongst the top 6 ?

On 3/12/2020 at 12:08 PM, dorset lion said:

What would you do ?

You've just bought Aston Villa off Tony Xia, you're a multi billionaire but hamstrung by FFP and a club up to its eyeballs in debt.

The simple answer is sign the right manager.......that is central to any clubs success.

and then sign the right players to meet that challenge, that means players who are familar with the " Dark Arts" too, not just champagne players.

It really isn't that hard.....but its made hard if we follow the wrong path.

• Like 1

What would you do ?

Sacking DS, would be a very good start imo.

"the team may be sh*t, but they are our sh*t" boldfinger

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

The simple answer is sign the right manager.......that is central to any clubs success.

Agreed.

"the team may be sh*t, but they are our sh*t" boldfinger

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

If we aren't careful in another couple of seasons we'll have in place the man who replaced the man who replaced Smith and another squad full of McCormacks, Hogans and Lescotts. Panic buys done more in hope than with any kind of plan.

I'm not convinced by Smith but I think at some point we just have to give somebody time.

On 3/16/2020 at 9:23 PM, dorset lion said:

If we aren't careful in another couple of seasons we'll have in place the man who replaced the man who replaced Smith and another squad full of McCormacks, Hogans and Lescotts. Panic buys done more in hope than with any kind of plan.

I'm not convinced by Smith but I think at some point we just have to give somebody time.

The argument for time is a vaid one....but not unconditionally....and the next question is time for what? time to improve? he has had 18 months and we look no better, in fact worse.

Things do take time, but equally, pockets of incremental improvement along the way, should be noticable, other wise we are just waiting in vain.

In theory, we should be getting progressively better.....i will leave that for folks opinions.

we can't give every manager 3 years, to discover that the powers that be have made the wrong decision.

18 hours ago, Rocky said:

The argument for time is a vaid one....but not unconditionally....and the next question is time for what? time to improve? he has had 18 months and we look not better, in fact worse.

Things do take time, but equally, pockets of incremental improvement along the way, should be noticable, other wise we are just waiting in vain.

In theory, we should be getting progressively better.....i will leave that for folks opinions.

we can't give every manager 3 years, to discover that the powers that be have made the wrong decision.

I just googled the squad that got us promoted, 17 players that we had signed, one or two of them still on our books and not one of them either able to get into our team, any other PL team or start regularly in our Championship team. All released on a free, for a nominal fee or will be when their contracts finally expire.

They were the recruits of our 4 previous managers, all draining club coffers and under FFP restricting our ability to sign the sort of players that other PL clubs want to sign.

Basically I think this club was damaged beyond repair, it was in need of a complete rebuild and the biggest mistake Smith made if your only viewing this as a footballing problem was in getting us promoted.

The flip side of that though is wherever we are next season we will have PL cash, very little deadwood within the squad and a youngish squad of potential talent.

If Smith is still here in 12 months and we are mid table in the Championship then I think he has failed.

What would you do ?

You need to plan right and make changes at the right time. So I would have done the same things up until the summer. I would have signed the same way the club did with 2-3 proven signings thrown in there.

Dean Smith would never have been given a new four year deal either. I would have let him keep his job until things started going against us. I probably would have sacked him and looked for someone else just before the January window personally.

Suso would have been sacked by now also.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

I would have sacked smith after Watford away when he showed he was clueless.

When we get relegated at least we will not be carrying the likes of Micah Richards etc salaries so we might be ok with the incoming transfer monies and the parachute payments.

image.png

Championeeeeee Championeeeee Olee Oleee Oleeeee

You need people like me so people like you can point your fcuking fingers and say there's the bad guy

Yup, need the right manager in place. And no director of football. 

• Like 1

mzjj.jpg