FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Defence issues

😒 I watch and wonder why we dont tighten up the opposition wingers. We give them far too much room and time to cross the ball into our six yard danger area. Our left and right back guys should be hot on their heels and prevent them from having time on the ball. This issue is the same every game ,which is why we are conceding too many goals. I can see it ,why cant our coaching staff see it and address this big issue before it's too late. I do hope the coaching staff read these comments. This is my very first post on this forum.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ron Launchbury said:

Defence issues

😒 I watch and wonder why we dont tighten up the opposition wingers. We give them far too much room and time to cross the ball into our six yard danger area. Our left and right back guys should be hot on their heels and prevent them from having time on the ball. This issue is the same every game ,which is why we are conceding too many goals. I can see it ,why cant our coaching staff see it and address this big issue before it's too late. I do hope the coaching staff read these comments. This is my very first post on this forum.

Hi Ron, and welcome aboard,

what you say is bang on, we commented only yesterday how much time Foden had time and time again during both halves, he was initially the cause of both goals and apparently was awarded  MOM,,yes it happens every dam game--but who is to blame?? players?coaches?  both??----but one thing for sure it needs addressing!!

• Like 2

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

I saw time and again yesterday that Targett knew exactly where Foden was but was caught between closing him down or leaving a gap.

When the ball is constantly in your half you are going to concede. We are trying to play passing football but have no real get out, Wesley fell over too much, Samatta if he gets the service looks like a natural goal scorer but hold up play isn't his thing.

To quote the old cliché...attack is the best form of defence. Get Davis alongside Samatta.

I feel it's down to how poor our own wingers and fullbacks are and Smith's insistence on playing with wingers who just aren't up the standard required. 

I'd love to see us try a basic 4-4-2 with Davis and Samatta upfront. I also really hope Smith doesn't make a habit of taking Samatta off, outside of Grealish he's our only goal threat so leave him on.

In my opinion he has badly misjudged playing too many new players who weren't up the pace of the premier league. In no way are they the answer long term but I'd honestly have gone with experienced players like Elmo and Taylor with a back to basics formation, Smith's insistence on trying to be something we weren't may ultimately be our downfall.  

"This is not possible. What McGrath is doing is just not possible with the amount of preparation that he's had."

1 minute ago, dorset lion said:

I saw time and again yesterday that Targett knew exactly where Foden was but was caught between closing him down or leaving a gap.

When the ball is constantly in your half you are going to concede. We are trying to play passing football but have no real get out, Wesley fell over too much, Samatta if he gets the service looks like a natural goal scorer but hold up play isn't his thing.

To quote the old cliché...attack is the best form of defence. Get Davis alongside Samatta.

Great minds😁

• Upvote 1

"This is not possible. What McGrath is doing is just not possible with the amount of preparation that he's had."

3 minutes ago, Dublin Villain said:

Great minds😁

Just thinking the same, must be something to do with place names beginning with D😎

• Like 1
6 hours ago, freddy said:

Hi Ron, and welcome aboard,

what you say is bang on, we commented only yesterday how much time Foden had time and time again during both halves, he was initially the cause of both goals and apparently was awarded  MOM,,yes it happens every dam game--but who is to blame?? players?coaches?  both??----but one thing for sure it needs addressing!!

Hi Freddy, many thanks for your welcome to this website. I can see you have supported the Villa for a considerable time. Have you ever received any feedback from the coaching staff or players. I would be interested to know.  One of my other observations which frustrates me is on corners. When we are defending a set piece corner, we field all of our players in our area. We dont leave anyone which should be a small fast player on the halfway line. If we did this the opposition would have to put 2 players on him,plus their goalkeeper ,this would make their attack less dangerous and if we did clear the ball ,it might cause them a problem instead of the ball being sent back into our area. Just an observation. 

Cheers Ron yes been a fan for many many a year first visit to Villa Park was 1965,

No never had any comment from players nor management.

You must watch the same game as me i have moaned all season about our ultra defensive marking at corners and yet wr still concede yesterday being a fine example!!

If one player is left upfield most teams usually leave 2 defenders to mark him our system allows them all to hover in and around the 18 yard box --this also severely weakens our attacking options -countless times 1 of our numerous keepers wins the ball scoots to the edge of the box only to find he is our furthest forward player----its so dam frustrating!!!

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

hi ron, and welcome to the forum, hope you become a regular, i agree with both yours and freddies comments, both midfield and defence need an awfull lot of work done,  the manager could do with a shake up to,  i to am a long time villa fan, 1952 was my first game, against birmiingham city, we beat them of course. 😆 good luck for the future.