Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com

Welcome to Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Aston Villa Forum - avillafan.com by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Sign in to follow this  
avstu

Aston Villa 2-3 Tottenham

We played so well in parts that it truly makes it more gutting. 

Drinkwater needs to be sent back to Chelsea, he's one of the worst players I've ever seen in claret and blue. Waste of a loan. 

Atkinson was sh*t yet again. Aurier should've been carded. Moura should've been carded. And var? Don't even get me started. The handball against sanchez wasn't checked but both of their penalty shouts were checked? How is that fair? 

And that's one of the softest penalties you'll ever see. It's a f**cking contact sport and the guy is going down before Engels' foot touches him. 

mzjj.jpg

It seems to be open range on Jack and fully supported by the inept officials Aurier should have had a yellow after his very early 2nd foul but wasnt Morar should have been given one too and yet 2 Villa players are booked for a first foul? Spurs are granted 2 VAR shouts which take an age to be completed we dont get 1 and who was the VAR official? Mr Moss who i believe will be involved somewhere at  wembley!!

We were very very slow to react to Reina,s excellent penalty save and i dont blame him one bit for berating them,we did our best to give them a goal and finally succeded with the last kick of the game-i thought Drinkwater was a passenger again too slow and sloppy,and why oh why has Chester been sent to Stoke? 

These sloppy errors are occouring far too often and if not checked will send us down.

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

EPL (Premier League), Sunday 16/02/2020 : Aston Villa 2-3 Tottenham Hotspur

After this result AVFC's total Form Points fell from 38 to 37 ... that is, points after 38 games.
The maximum available is now 61 points, with 36 points left to play for.
AVFC are below par and 17th in the table, with 25 points and GD at -16 from 26 games.

AVFC RFC SAFC

12 hours ago, JustRich said:

We played so well in parts that it truly makes it more gutting. 

Drinkwater needs to be sent back to Chelsea, he's one of the worst players I've ever seen in claret and blue. Waste of a loan. 

Atkinson was sh*t yet again. Aurier should've been carded. Moura should've been carded. And var? Don't even get me started. The handball against sanchez wasn't checked but both of their penalty shouts were checked? How is that fair? 

And that's one of the softest penalties you'll ever see. It's a f**cking contact sport and the guy is going down before Engels' foot touches him. 

It was mentioned that the handballs were checked but it was completed in less than 20 seconds.  Dont quite understand these things.  

Not much more I can add but always felt it was a terrible mistake not to go for Gary Cahill who was available and experienced and equally stupid to allow Chester leave.

On the positive side Samatta looks twice the player Wesley is though I was baffled as to why he was taken off when he didn't appear to be tired. 

"This is not possible. What McGrath is doing is just not possible with the amount of preparation that he's had."

6 hours ago, Dublin Villain said:

Not much more I can add but always felt it was a terrible mistake not to go for Gary Cahill who was available and experienced and equally stupid to allow Chester leave.

On the positive side Samatta looks twice the player Wesley is though I was baffled as to why he was taken off when he didn't appear to be tired. 

Agreed. Because all Baston did was nesrly gift them a goal, twice. 

mzjj.jpg

Absolutely gutted but another game where we have failed to see a game out. Spurs away, Arsenal away and Liverpool at home all come to mind. 

Yes, before these games we would take a point but they are all games we should have won and I fear these will be the games we look back in the summer should we go down.

I know a lot will blame Engels for his mistake but I am pointing the finger at Smith. I have always questioned his subs. He always seems to wait until around the 60-70th minutes before making them weather we need them or not. Yesterday, apart from Nakamba for Drinkwater (who i felt should have started) I don't think the other two needed to come off.

El Ghazi was playing out of his skin and was one of the best players on the pitch and while Samata wasnt as busy in the second half, he was keeping the Tottenham defence on their toes and creating space for the likes of Grealish.

Since the opening weekend Smith has said we need to learn but we are not learning. Its the same errors time and time again.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

Could not understand the Samatta substitution he was causing them problems didnt look injured or tired- and Baston yes its early days but almost set spurs up for a goal and to me seemed a bit like a headless chicken.

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

We continue to talk about creativity, when appraising players.....Its as if, its all we ever notice.

We have scored more goals than 11 teams in this league this year, more than enough to be in safety, we have scored 6 more than Sheff Utd, despite the 14 point deficit.

We scored 2 goals on Sunday, Enough to win a game....with a good performance attached.

We have conceded 50 goals so far and the problem is innate.....its a team problem.....We simply cannot stop the opposition, any team, we rely only on last ditch tackles, which become a lottery, in the end, its all too late when it gets to that stage...ricochets, penalties, free kicks.

We can't and don't have the personnel to smother or suffocate the opposition, that should be done in midfield, its purely open season for teams to run through us

Unless you sign world class who can do both, its not creativity, we have the best English Midfielder in the country.....Its players who can stop the opposition, we need, its the ugly stuff, needs doing, its players who are a nuisance and get close and disrupt opposition play, get their foot in and niggle.

I do actually fear for us, because this part of the game has been ignored by us and we are obsessed with creativity......Its a big ask to expect any team to have to score 3 goals to win.....That is the task we have set ourselves by this ignorance of how to defend as a team.

I am not asking the team to go more defensive....but I am saying we need to defend better,everybody, there is a subtle difference.

you maybe able to outscore teams in the championship, this league requires clean sheets or the next best.....we need to learn fast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

We continue to talk about creativity, when appraising players.....Its as if, its all we ever notice.

We have scored more goals than 11 teams in this league this year, more than enough to be in safety, we have scored 6 more than Sheff Utd, despite the 14 point deficit.

We scored 2 goals on Sunday, Enough to win a game....with a good performance attached.

We have conceded 50 goals so far and the problem is innate.....its a team problem.....We simply cannot stop the opposition, any team, we rely only on last ditch tackles, which become a lottery, in the end, its all too late when it gets to that stage...ricochets, penalties, free kicks.

We can't and don't have the personnel to smother or suffocate the opposition, that should be done in midfield, its purely open season for teams to run through us

Unless you sign world class who can do both, its not creativity, we have the best English Midfielder in the country.....Its players who can stop the opposition, we need, its the ugly stuff, needs doing, its players who are a nuisance and get close and disrupt opposition play, get their foot in and niggle.

I do actually fear for us, because this part of the game has been ignored by us and we are obsessed with creativity......Its a big ask to expect any team to have to score 3 goals to win.....That is the task we have set ourselves by this ignorance of how to defend as a team.

I am not asking the team to go more defensive....but I am saying we need to defend better,everybody, there is a subtle difference.

you maybe able to outscore teams in the championship, this league requires clean sheets or the next best.....we need to learn fast.

Brilliant post and one I full agree with.

I called for the 5-3-2 system as I thought it would help prevent the goals but it hasn't. I am actually thinking a lot of the problems stem around the midfield area. It leaves the defence so exposed so much.

The worrying thing is the amount of money we spent on the defence last summer and the amount of goals we have conceeded.

• Like 1

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant