FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Time for change ?

30 minutes ago, avstu said:

I don't think he will lose his job. Regardless of what we think of the manager the owners have a plan and vision. Smith is part of that vision and when he does eventually move on for whatever reason, we will get someone similar. I can't see them ever going for a short term fix with Big Sam for example.

I think they will back him again in January and hope that he can turn it around. It really would not surprise me if he took us down and remained as our manager next season. 

Do you feel they would overlook relegation and the massive impact FFP would have on us.

It would also stop the new planned development at the ground as that is based on us being in the PL.

It wouldn't surprise me if they stubbornly backed DS to the detriment of the club, even though he is clearly out of his depth.  

"the team may be sh*t, but they are our sh*t" boldfinger

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its my big worry but i read something today that made me realise that maybe I am being a little harsh. Its our first year back in the Premier League and if we average around 1 point a game, we sh

I am not totally sold on Dean as manager, nice guy, but maybe a bit affable for me.....but he needs more time, However, I think 4-3-3 with our squad has been naive, 3-4-3 looks a bit better. Howe

Welcome to the forum Rocky. Fully agree with your post...I hate sacking managers, it does take time and I also have major doubts about Dean's suitability but really hope he proves us wrong.

13 hours ago, markymark said:

Do you feel they would overlook relegation and the massive impact FFP would have on us.

It would also stop the new planned development at the ground as that is based on us being in the PL.

It wouldn't surprise me if they stubbornly backed DS to the detriment of the club, even though he is clearly out of his depth.  

I don't think they want relegation but they have openly stated that we are a year or two ahead of where they planned us to be. Most of the squad we have don't have release clauses meaning - we wouldn't lose too many. I am sure the sale of one or two players (Grealish, Mings and McGinn) would sort any FFP worries.

I am not ruling out the sacking of Smith but i don't think they will sack him because we have lost 2-3 games - especially when one win would take us out of the bottom three.

One thing is for sure - we can say what we want on places like this but on a matchday the fans need to get massively behind this side. This is when the players need us more than ever. So many of our fans say they love to be hated by other clubs fans yet we turn on each other the first sign of trouble.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

I feel a rift has arisen between players and management for some reason that would explain the poor performances and capitulation after the reading of the riot act-the hierachy and Brian Little and any past players with Claret and Blue blood calling John Carew Gabby should go in the dressing room bolt the door and give this bunch of gutless pussycats a right old ear bashing.its our club not theirs if they dont want to pkay FOR The Villa or DEano others will-they should be drummed out of Villa Park!!

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

4 minutes ago, freddy said:

I feel a rift has arisen between players and management for some reason that would explain the poor performances and capitulation after the reading of the riot act-the hierachy and Brian Little and any past players with Claret and Blue blood calling John Carew Gabby should go in the dressing room bolt the door and give this bunch of gutless pussycats a right old ear bashing.its our club not theirs if they dont want to pkay FOR The Villa or DEano others will-they should be drummed out of Villa Park!!

I said in the Southampton game that i couldnt imagine Smith having a go at the players. Then he says that the game against Watford is the first time he really lost it with the players. Straight away there is an issue for me right there - especially when we havent performed for 5-6 games (since the draw at Man Utd).

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

12 minutes ago, Theclaretblue said:

I've heard whispers that things aren't going well for the Derby boss at the moment and there's talk there considering going for John Terry, so we could soon be losing JT. 

I think that has Rooney's name all over it.

Mellberg_Signature.png

7 hours ago, avstu said:

I don't think they want relegation but they have openly stated that we are a year or two ahead of where they planned us to be. Most of the squad we have don't have release clauses meaning - we wouldn't lose too many. I am sure the sale of one or two players (Grealish, Mings and McGinn) would sort any FFP worries.

I am not ruling out the sacking of Smith but i don't think they will sack him because we have lost 2-3 games - especially when one win would take us out of the bottom three.

One thing is for sure - we can say what we want on places like this but on a matchday the fans need to get massively behind this side. This is when the players need us more than ever. So many of our fans say they love to be hated by other clubs fans yet we turn on each other the first sign of trouble.

Reports are varied about our ffp position with certain media suggesting we need to sell in the January window.  What is obvious is that relegation will be a massive issue for villa regarding ffp.  Grealish, McGinn and Mings will want to leave and clubs will be circuling to pick our best players up for a minimal fee.

Clauses in contracts are irrelevant in this scenario as we will need to comply with ffp to avoid a points deduction penalty (a work colleague supports Sheffield Wed and says they are facing a 21 point penalty for breaches to ffp). 

Last summer spurs were talking 20-25 million for Grealish, clubs will not pay villa's valuation as we will have to sell.i

It's disingenuous to suggest this pressure is due to DS losing 2-3 games,we've lost 12 of our 20 games so far, and lost 5 of our last 6 games.

You correctly point out one win and other results assisting us we would be out of the bottom 3.  However form and performances suggest our next win is some way off.

Who would you put your money on to win at Burnley? 

Whether the players are playing for him is irrelevant, this is the modern footballer and the power they wield.  They are also the players he signed off on and either they aren't good enough or DS is not good enough at this level.  Either answer does not reflect well on DS. 

Personally I want DS out whilst there is still a chance of getting out of trouble. I could see us becoming a Leeds United if we go down, with no guarantees we ever get back.

It's also no certainty we would just bounce back up as recent history tells us. 

So whilst complying with ffp, selling our best players for below their true market value we would also need to recruit new players from clubs looking to get top dollar out of villa.

Edited by markymark
Correction

"the team may be sh*t, but they are our sh*t" boldfinger

Villa won at Burnley, fans singing smiths name throughout game . Give the man a chance ffs , somebody mentioned big sam , get a grip . Smith does need to change it up a bit and I’m sure who ever comes in will be part of that shake up , some on here were saying grealish couldn’t make the step up ! What they saying now ? 

14 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Villa won at Burnley, fans singing smiths name throughout game . Give the man a chance ffs , somebody mentioned big sam , get a grip . Smith does need to change it up a bit and I’m sure who ever comes in will be part of that shake up , some on here were saying grealish couldn’t make the step up ! What they saying now ? 

Late like my postman ffs lol