FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

VAR & officials

avstu

VAR & officials

VAR is well and truly killing our game. Don't get me wrong, it is no excuse for some of our performances and the way we have thrown games away but it does play its part.

So far, off the top of my head, it has cost us in the following:

• Billing should have been sent off for Bournemouth in our defeat at Villa Park.
  • Mark Noble should have been sent off for West Ham for a blatant dive and therefor second yellow
  • Jack Grealish's was judged to have dived despite it being a foul and him playing on resulting in Henri Lansbury's goal being disallowed.
  • Villa should have has a penalty against Arsenal when Socratis hand balls the ball in the box
  • Arsenals winning goal should not have counted as Callum Chambers was in the wall - a rule that was changed in the summer.

How many more decisions are going to go against us? Football has changed over the summer and it hasn't improved the game at all.

What are everyone else thoughts?

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

fully agree Stu===all are valid points--and i wonder if the points we should have got from these misdemeanours will be so so critical come next May-----

to me the refs and former refs are in one big cover everyones back clique-----just could.nt believe Dermot Gallagher saying the defenders arm was pulled away from the ball and it was NO penalty on Sky,s " Ref Watch"  today!!! aSue Smith and Steven Warnock both agreed it was a penalty---Warnock even exclaimed---"Oh come on Dermott"   and then adverts duly interrupted

The Whole dam thing VAR should be ditched----it sure dont help Villa---whats worrying is the Jack "dive" Socrates handball and Chambers standing in our wall were all VISIBLE AND EVIDENT to the naked eye without any requirement for VAR to become dam well involved!!!!!! 

2uhvolf.jpg

passionate_freddy.png

On 9/23/2019 at 7:17 PM, Larry-AV said:

The problem with VAR is not the technology ... it is the inconsistent use/non-use of it by the match officials.

In other words, nothing has changed !

Hard to disagree with this. I was saying to someone at work yesterday that I watch a fair bit of German football and it works fine over there.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

21 hours ago, Apollo said:

Two games that we have been stitched up for so far. Winds me up big time! 

This VAR needs scrapping as the premier league can’t get it right.

Its not just us either. Plenty of clubs are being done over. The thing is - there is noway it will not stay now. Football is ruined.

Mellberg_Signature.png

For me the concept of VAR is very very much needed in the game. Jury is still out on what capacity yet...but it is much needed.

The problem with it, is that the arse holes making the decisions are referees mates or undergraduates afraid to effectively tell the ref that he's wrong. 

Already this season we've suffered four times, minimum, potentially five. 

The problem is very much consistency to make the correct decisiom

mzjj.jpg

One simple change that could be made to VAR is to allow a manager the right to call for the use of it a maximum amount of times during a match, he's unlikely to waste it for anything trivial if the use of it is limited and hopefully match changing mistakes would be almost eradicated.

2 hours ago, dorset lion said:

One simple change that could be made to VAR is to allow a manager the right to call for the use of it a maximum amount of times during a match, he's unlikely to waste it for anything trivial if the use of it is limited and hopefully match changing mistakes would be almost eradicated.

That excellent idea nails it, Dorset.

Cricket already does this, the team Captain requests the review, with forfeit of the review if the Umpire's decision is upheld.

As you suggest, with football it should be the team Manager to request a review.

AVFC RFC SAFC

3 hours ago, Larry-AV said:

That excellent idea nails it, Dorset.

Cricket already does this, the team Captain requests the review, with forfeit of the review if the Umpire's decision is upheld.

As you suggest, with football it should be the team Manager to request a review.

I don't watch Cricket Larry so was unaware of that, I just thought it was common sense.

Not much point having the technology if the ref is the only one who can use it, as we've already seen numerous times just in our first 6 games...I'm not sure I have ever seen a worse decision than the one at Palace and for several reasons.

Archived