FORUM IS CURRENTLY BEING UPGRADED, PLEASE BEAR WITH US. ×

Villa voted the 6th best English club in history

wallerstein28

• 3 weeks later...

I think everyone has covered it. Newcastle above Villa is embarrassing.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

3 hours ago, avstu said:

I think everyone has covered it. Newcastle above Villa is embarrassing.

even leeds,leeds are a historic English club doing well in the early 70s,but when you win the EC/CL it puts you in that elite group,nottingham forrest should be in the top10 tbf

m2ThHd1o-KvVhMbtbmLiE8Q.jpg

controversial_dimitri.png

On 9/28/2019 at 1:12 PM, Dimitri said:

even leeds,leeds are a historic English club doing well in the early 70s,but when you win the EC/CL it puts you in that elite group,nottingham forrest should be in the top10 tbf

I wouldn't argue against that.

Mellberg_Signature.png

"Winning isn't everything, but it beats anything that comes in second." - Paul Bryant

The simple way to define historic would be trophies won but if you look at how the premier league has made winning trophies almost a certainty for some for much of its 26 years I'm not convinced that can be the only measure.

I don't deny my bias but if you go back to 1993 I think only Liverpool had won more than Aston Villa and although a few rich clubs have surpassed us during the era of money being king none of them were founder members of the football league, which is why Accrington Stanley and Notts County are historic clubs and Birmingham City are not.

I doubt I need remind anyone on here that only one club in world football can claim to be the club that started the 1st football league, that's pretty damned historic.

There was a time we could claim to be the biggest club on the planet and although we've been overtaken by a few for me there are 5 clubs that stand head and shoulders above the rest in terms of place in history....Aston Villa, Everton, Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utd.

Archived